The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-27-2004, 12:33 PM   #301
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
The sequence of maturation seen by the researchers in the developing brain roughly parallels the evolution of the brain from lower order mammals to the highly complex organ that is found in man.
Again, a theory used as fact. See how they do it? Take that theory out of science and you've got purer science. Research without the bult in assumptions.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #302
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

You don't drop a theory from science if a few religions disagree with it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #303
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Who said anything about religion?

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-27-2004, 01:53 PM   #304
Happy Monkey

Religion is the only reason evolution is considered controversial.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-27-2004, 02:05 PM   #305
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by DanaC
From the BBC news site

This is why children shouldnt be held accountable in the same way adults are. Just because they know right from wrong doesnt mean they understand that in the same way we do. Their cortex is not fully formed until they reach the age of 16/17. They do not have the same ability to conceptualise that we have as adults.

They seem to have enough ability to wait until there's no one around to catch them, though, don't they?

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:09 PM   #306
Happy Monkey

That's the first thing a kid learns - it's better not to be caught. Just ask Ralphie in A Christmas Story.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-27-2004, 05:46 PM   #307
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Lady Sidhe, the point is that they both understand *and* dont understand their actions. They understand that something is right or wrong, they understand to a degree the consequences of their actions, but their relationship with that information is fundamentally different to an adults. They cannot have the same degree of understanding their brains simply arent ready for it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #308
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I knew at a very young age, if I got caught, I got my ass kicked. :p
Old 05-27-2004, 07:19 PM   #309
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Keep in mind this was one study, not a guaranteed, bonafide concrete rule. It's a theory.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-27-2004, 08:10 PM   #310
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by DanaC
Lady Sidhe, the point is that they both understand *and* dont understand their actions. They understand that something is right or wrong, they understand to a degree the consequences of their actions, but their relationship with that information is fundamentally different to an adults. They cannot have the same degree of understanding their brains simply arent ready for it.

I understand what you're saying, but in the long run, it doesn't really make a difference whether or not they understand the long-term ramifications of their acts. It's enough that they know it's wrong, forbidden, or illegal, and that they choose to do it anyway.

I seriously doubt that adult criminals who commit violent acts give a thought to how it will affect the families of their victims, and if they do, I doubt they CARE. Therefore, understanding that the families will suffer or not is not a mitigating factor, IMO.

Juvenile life is bullshit. If you're 17, four years for murder just teaches you that you can get away with it, especially when your juvenile record is sealed and can't be used against you if you murder again--so juries can't know that you're a recidivist and sentence you accordingly. Besides, most juvenile delinquents know they're going to get a slap on the wrist BECAUSE they're juveniles, so there's no deterrent.

A teenager is not stupid. They know the difference between right and wrong, and they know that murder is illegal. Yet more and more often, we're confronted with violent and/or murderous teenagers who "wanted to know what it felt like to kill," and we treat them with kid gloves because they're "children." A 15-, 16-, 17-, or 18-year-old is not a child. If you're old enough to drive, to vote, or to join the military, you're old enough to be expected to obey the rules just like everyone else, and to pay the consequences like everyone else.

You know how parents tell little kids, "because I said so," to explain some rules? Well, the same should go for teenagers. "Because the law says so, and until the law is changed, you obey it or suffer the consequenses."

If you're old enough to choose to break the law, you're old enough to pay the consequences for it.

That's just how I feel. I'm sick of all these murderers who have a history of violent behavior going back to "childhood," that has never been dealt with. We have to start nipping it in the bud NOW. The safety of the society should take precedence.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:57 AM   #311
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I knew at a very young age, if I got caught, I got my ass kicked. :p
And it worked to keep you straight. I know my ass was grass if I did anything wrong, so I kept straight. Nowadays when a kid does wrong the parent will nuture the little bastard and find out whose fault it "really" was. Kids shouldn't be stuck up for, they are deceitful, slimey, conniving, smelly little demons and should be dealt with appropriately.
MrKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:12 AM   #312
DanaC

Four years is a long time to a 17 year old. Hell look how long high school seemed :P
Old 05-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #313
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Even if your statement is intended in jest, I have to respond ...

It's s blink of an eye for the dead victim, and their family.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #314
DanaC

At 17 I was a different character altogether from the character I was at 21
Old 05-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #315
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ah, but did you murder someone at 17, and then at 21 say "Why, that was a foolish thing to do, and I can't even understand why I did it?"

Everyone changes between those ages, the question is the degree of change. Even if the 17-year-old murderer learns the folly of his ways, and at 21 is only robbing convenience stores for the money instead of the thrill of killing, that's not enough improvement.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote