The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #496
glatt

I see both plastic and wooden racks. Is one better? Wood has a nice aesthetic, but I imagine plastic is much cheaper and up to the job. Can you reuse them?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #497
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Killer Bee Killed.

Color me envious.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #498
Griff
still says videotape

The plastic ones came with the nucs. All the ones Pete assembled are wood with natural wax foundation. For us, using wood really is an aesthetic choice although experienced keepers argue both ways in terms of functionality. I think the price was nominally different. You do reuse them but rotate them out after a few years.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #499
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Dad has always used wooden ones. His lasted for many many years. I can't recall him ever having to replace many. His hives died off a few years ago and he hasn't found a decent swarm to replace them as yet. He hasn't been looking too hard though. He's been busy with other stuff.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #500
glatt

The sanding drum I made was vibrating out of balance too much. I realized the threaded end of the bolt just wasn't being held straight by the chuck. I needed a smooth surface for it to grab. So I dug around in my scrap metal pile and found a perfect rod that I think came out of an old ink jet printer. I pulled out my grandfather' sold surplus navy tap an die set, and got to work putting some threads on the rod.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #501
glatt

What did you make today?

The sanding drum I made was vibrating out of balance too much. I realized the threaded end of the bolt just wasn't being held straight by the chuck. I needed a smooth surface for it to grab. So I dug around in my scrap metal pile and found a perfect rod that I think came out of an old ink jet printer. I pulled out my grandfather's old surplus Navy tap and die set, and got to work putting some threads on the rod.

Last edited by glatt; 05-14-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #502
glatt

Pretty much everything in this picture used to be my grandfather's. Pretty cool.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #503
glatt

So it works a lot smoother now.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #504
glatt

I was having major problems with tapatalk last night. I'd post something and then the new post window would already be populated with the text I just wrote and no indication whether it got posted with a picture or not. I even shut the phone down and restarted and went back in to tapatalk to try to clear things up.

Anyway, I could clean this up, but then all my venting about tapatalk wouldn't make any sense, and the damage to the thread is already done.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #505
glatt

Mostly I was just excited because I had an excuse to dig out the old tap and die set that I think I may have used once a decade ago. And never since. You just look at this thing, and think of all the possibilities. But really, it isn't that often I need to cut threads into something.

Isn't this cool? I love using old tools that still work well, and probably better than modern stuff.

Name:  die 01.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  die 02.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  die 03.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #506
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
cutting your own threads is very satisfying. I usually think to myself (directed at the floggers of cheap hardware) "HaHA! take taht bitches!"

I spell it that way too.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #507
glatt

I was just thinking. The last time I cut my own threads was when I was trying to remove a lug nut. It was the exact opposite of satisfying that time, because I would have preferred using the threads that came with the wheel stud rather than cut new ones with the messed up lug nut, eventually breaking the wheel stud.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #508
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

Nice job with the nuc install !
I would ditch that 1 gallon feeder and get a 2 gallon from Mann Lake with ladders - (http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ry/page45.html). They will need syrup to draw out the bare foundation until the nectar flow starts. A Mega-bee pollen patty from Dadant would help with brood stimulation as well. I'm a fan of wooden frames myself, as some of the plastic (Pierco) frames can warp over time. Have fun !!!
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #509
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks. I'm using two different hive top feeders both over 2 gallon capacity.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 AM   #510
Griff
still says videotape

Glatt that is awesome that you get to use your Grampa's tools. There is a bond in that.

Tags
diy