The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I need suggestions...(and possibly psychological evaluation)

I am writing this on a ten year old Compaq Presario, running Windows ME. Weep for me.

My three year old (3yo) Gateway Media Center PC (XP) is dead. Power supply sick, motherboard dying, no boot, no video, no love, no shit. Questions: How hard will it be to introduce my 3yo hard drive (250gb w/XP) to a new (hope to God Windows 7) computer? Will 7 play nice w/the XP drive? Would it be better to install the 3yo drive in the new computer, or put it in an enclosure and run it as a removeable USB drive? Really, I just want to transfer some files (3500 pics, 1500 or so mp3s, and the odd program or two), and then put the 3yo drive away for a spare.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you might provide.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It will work fine!

The advantage to an external is that it doesn't draw power from the main PC's power supply, and that you can unplug it and take it to another computer, which can be very useful. Use it for backups if nothing else.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Don't know how it works over there, but I nopticed at PC world (whilst taking my camera in) they were advertising something (yeah blew you away with my tech knowhow) which easily transfers all your old stuff including settings etc to your new comp. Cost about £20 I think.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I am writing this on a ten year old Compaq Presario, running Windows ME. Weep for me.

I had one of those at one time. They do take a lick'n and keep on tick'n.

..and windows me is fine. I liked it so much better than xp.

You'll be fine.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
mbpark
Lecturer

You really don't want Windows ME

Hello,

You really don't want to keep using that. It doesn't get updated, and it's horribly unstable (i.e. one rogue app can take it down). It's just something that needs to be forgotten.

Microsoft has disowned it.

Skysidhe: what would make you say that an OS which Microsoft admitted was an unstable stopgap product would be better than Windows XP?

Put the 250GB drive with XP in a USB enclosure. You can then use the new backup utilities in Win7 to back up to it if you so choose. You can also get a USB enclosure for the WinME drive and run that as well.

If I were you, I'd look at getting Puppy Linux or a similar small Linux distribution to run on that Presario. They run Ubuntu just fine, actually, especially if you have an AMD CPU in it!

Windows 7 makes copying the files from a USB drive very easy, because it has a progress meter that works (first introduced in Vista), and because it can organize files into libraries. I have yet to try bulk imports, but file copies work really well.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

my suggestion
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Name:  apple-assassins.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  26.5 KB
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
dacliff
Confounded Conjuror

You can install the hard drive internally as well, just to avoid buying the external enclosure. When the Windows 7 box is booting up, enter setup and make sure your BIOS are set to boot off the new hard drive first. After Windows 7 loads, you'll be able to see the 250GB as just another hard drive in Windows Explorer. Copying data this way may be a little faster since it won't be constricted by the speed of USB port, but either way it should be a breeze.
dacliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpark View Post
Skysidhe: what would make you say that an OS which Microsoft admitted was an unstable stopgap product would be better than Windows XP?
I didn't say it would be better. I said I liked it better.
If she wants to upgrade who would be against that?

I am not a techie. Just a local dope sharing an opinion.

Obviously I don't know much about security/stability and so my ignorance my clumsiness has stepped on your toe.

The ME ran fine on an old Compaq. Just like hers. Memory use was minimal.

My not liking xp is by default of the dinosaur pc I later bought. It had huge hard drive space yet not enough memory to play games or run much of anything.

Last year I bought a tiny sleek pc with enough memory to accommodate the small hard drive it has. Vista doesn't bog it down and it flys and my cpu is always low.

~ signed- yokel

Last edited by skysidhe; 11-05-2009 at 12:23 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've very rarely heard anything good about WinME. But, that said, I've never, EVER had a problem that I couldn't figure out on my Old Compaq ME Machine. It usually resides in my bedroom, hooked up to my stereo and is used for a jukebox. Crank everything up, hit 'random play', and, viola!, my own private radio station that plays ONLY my favorite songs! The thing really is like the Energizer Bunny.

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking that installing the drive from the Gateway box into the new machine, when I finally decide on one, is the way to go. Saves on buying the enclosure. (Did I read that somewhere?)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote