The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Cereal

So, after posting to the field of 64 thread, I had cereal on the brain last night and we ended up having it for dinner. Yum. Mini shredded wheat, with a sprinkling of sugar and 1% milk. How do you eat yours? Out of the box? Stale? Soggy? What's your favorite kind? What do you add to it? Do you sugar your frosted flakes? (i knew someone who did this regularly) I pretty much like everything, with the exception of Grapenuts. I go on kicks where i'll buy and eat 1 or 2 kinds for several boxes, then get sick of it and don't have it again for a few months. Occasionally mix 2 kinds together, if there isn't enough of one to fill a bowl. My favorites for snacking without milk are Honey Nut Chex, Regular LIFE, and Multigrain Cheerios. All have lots of crunch and a bit of sweetness. OK, your turn...
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

I used to be a cherrios addict. Then I discovered they contain enough hydrogenated oil to down a horse. For those not in the know that is about the nastiest shite you can eat, sticks to your veins like glue & carcinogenic to boot. I'm not health freak but I've got a long family history of heart problems, no point pushign it. Since then it's been fruit'n'fibre, which seems to be what sultana bran is in australia. Bran flakes, sultanas. Life is good. Cron flakes & Rice bubbles both feature, towards the end they often get mixed, I'm a bit of a cereal slut I guess. Full cream milk only, skimmed is water with flavouring.

Last edited by jaguar; 02-09-2005 at 11:36 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have never understood people who add sugar to their cereal. Why not buy a sweet cereal in the first place? And if sprinkling sugar is acceptable, then why wouldn't you sprinkle sugar on all the other foods you eat, too? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Ya gotta love Uncle Sam cereal. Anything that has a slogan of "A Natural Laxative" right on the front of the box is all right in MY book!

Brian
Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
glatt

Like Colon Blow?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
So, after posting to the field of 64 thread, I had cereal on the brain last night and we ended up having it for dinner. Yum.
I do that too--sometimes you're just in the mood for it. Plus, there's my laziness factor about not wanting to actually prepare a real dinner. I usually go for the unsweetened stuff like shredded wheat or wheat chex, pour on the soy milk and add whatever chemical-laden artificial sweetener I happen to have handy (it can't be ALL heathly, after all!)

I miss the sugar laden junk cereals of my childhood--I feel too guilty buying that stuff now. My favorite was Lucky Charms, although my mom would get pissed because I always ate all the marshmallows out of it. And if I bought a box of Frosted Flakes I'd probably just eat the whole box in one sitting. YUM!
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
mrnoodle
bent

My two nephews have to have a bowl of cereal before they go to bed every night, regardless of how gluttonous they were at dinner. If they don't get to observe this ritual, they get VERY upset. Like, yelling upset. Ages: 17 and 12

I used to make fun of them a little, until I tried it one night. Now I too must occasionally have a cereal-and-milkcap or the night just doesn't seem right.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I have never understood people who add sugar to their cereal. Why not buy a sweet cereal in the first place?
It's all about control...frosted flakes have too much sugar on them in my opinion. However, I can regulate how much sugar I put on my plain old corn flakes. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on time of day, mood, amount of sugar left in the milk... Some days straight Fruity Pebbles is what I crave, other days I have to cut them 1/2 and 1/2 with rice krispies to cut back the sugar (and cancer causing artificial food coloring).
Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I eat my cereal dry - NO MILK! I can't stand soggy food. Always have eaten it that way, always will.

I am a big fan of mixing different types... I have been known to have up to 5 different types in one bowl.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That new cereal restaurant in Philadelphia which prepares special blends might just be the thing for you melidasaur ...

I go through cereal phases. Cheerios are certainly a favorite since childhood, and are a good snack without milk. There is something special and comforting in the dry oaty taste of them.

Most cereals I eat with a minimum of milk ... just enough to make the Rice Krispies Snap, Crackle and Pop! Too much milk and all you have is sog. The crunch is an important part of the experience.

There is one exception to this, however. Grape Nuts ... the "real" ones, not the flakes. A tiny wait lets them absorb just enough milk that they don't cause havoc with my dental work. I do credit not quite soggy enough grape nuts for helping with the eruption of my Wisdom Teeth. Those babies came through a lot faster than they would have otherwise, with the assistance of the abrasive action of the Grape Nuts.

I like some of the "healthier" cereal that aren't really healthier ... Total is okay, and Product 19 were really just basic flakes. Special K's flavor doesn't seem quite the same as it did when I was a kid, and I much preferred the smaller flakes to the big ones now available. The version with the dehydrated strawberries is an abomination that should not be allowed upon this earth. Ditto for anything with frankenfruit. If you're gonna put it in a cereal, be honest about it. Oversugar it, chemically process it, and don't use any of the actual fruit ingredient to make it.

Oh, and put a good damn toy in the box, even if it has to be a record that you cut off the back of the box and have to tape down to a 45 to get it to play without skipping.

It's a rare cereal that I can't enjoy dry ... but the best ones are the sugary goodness cereals ... Cocoa Puffs, Corn Pops, HoneyCombs. And it's easier to spell things with your AlphaBits if your working on dry land instead of in milk.

Anything containing marshmallows, I think, should really never see milk. Those are the classic eat-by-the-handful cereals. Lucky Charms are magically delicious, until you add the milk and the green clovers start to bloat like ticks on a Boy Scout.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:04 AM   #11
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The version with the dehydrated strawberries is an abomination that should not be allowed upon this earth.
Yeah, I love strawberries, but not in this bizarro dehydrated form. Nasty.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Um, I like the dehydrated strawberries...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #13
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

My mom wouldn't buy any sugary cereals when I was young but my sister and I found a way to make Cheerios awesome. We found where mom hid the powdered Quick (we were allowed chocolate milk every now and then) and sprinkled it on our Cheerios.

Sad story: My body decided to forget how to digest fiber AND lactose in the last year or so, so I can't enjoy cereal anymore. If anyone knows of a brand that lacks fiber, I'm willing to try it with my scrumptious rice milk.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

CS - Rice Krispies ought to do it. I also have no problems with either Kix or Trix.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #15
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Thanks for the tip on the cereal restaurant, wolf. It looks really cool and there is going to be one opening in Chicago in the near future, and I am moving to Illinois in a few months, so I'll definitely be able to check it out then.

I just ate some Golden Grahams... dry of course. Tasty!