The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #31
grazzers
Aim for the Best

It is now 9.30pm and it's still snowing, but i think i'll put any more snow photos in the snow thread. I'll try to get some photos of the centre of town, since this is the Aberdeen thread, maybe if school is cancelled on Monday (fingers crossed).
grazzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:02 AM   #32
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Ceilidh

Well, we had snow all week and its snowing again now, but school has been on the whole time. Just thought since this is the Aberdeen, Scotland thread i might add a taster of Scottish life. On Friday I went to a Fundraising Ceilidh (traditional Scottish dance) set up the people who went to Mexico last summer (including me) to raise money for the Orphanage we helped out at. Ceilidhs are basically traditional dances that everybody knows or was forced to learn at school, like me. There was lots of dancing and getting drunk and a raffle (which my mum won the top prize, woo!). There were also stovies. How do you describe stovies... theyre basically meat and potatoes put in a big pan and cooked, to wierd, mushy results. A fun evening was had by all.

This is the sort of thing that happens a lot in Scotland, because us Scots do love a party . More stuff on Scottish life to come...
Old 03-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thank You.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #34
Mad_Hatter
Complex Simpleton

Sounds like a nice place.
Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:50 AM   #35
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Indeed it is. Here's a bit of an update, it's still been snowing recently, but thats about to change as its forecast to be 15*C by midweek, which is pretty good for Aberdeen in March. I still have to try and get some more photos of the centre of Aberdeen but I'm incredibly busy at the moment being in my final year of school with final exams less than 2 months away. Easter Hols soon , i'll post again then.

Anonymous Poet
Old 03-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #36
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I need more info on the stovies. What kind of meat and potatoes? And just fry them together in one skillet? Hamburger or what?? Details, man, details!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #37
grazzers
Aim for the Best

i searched on google for recipes, the first link is www.stovies.com with some lovely pics of the mass of warmed wierdness that people here called stovies. The Ceilidh was the first time i've had stovies in a long time, and to be honest, i wasnt that impressed, but its good drinking food, went well with my pint. The stovies also come with oatcakes, which you can see on that site. Just basically oaty biscuit things, maybe we only really have them here, but quite nice.

Sotvies are common for Ceilidhs and Weddings, things like that, about as common as Haggis, which i prefer. I can give plenty more details of Scottish life, just ask here!

Anonymous Poet
Old 03-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazzers
Sotvies are common for Ceilidhs and Weddings, things like that, about as common as Haggis, which i prefer. I can give plenty more details of Scottish life, just ask here!
Worse than Haggis! Stovies must be really bad.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #39
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Thanks for the link! Kinda reminds me of home-made roast beef hash...OK--question about Scottish life: Tell me about the Fry shops (true about deep-frying Mars bars?) and is Sean Connery really worshipped as a diety?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 03-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #40
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Oh yes, the deep fried mars bars really are true, started at the Bervie Chipper in Inverbervie, not too far down the coast from here. Never tried one i have to say, but i could see if i could just to review it for you guys. You can get quite a lot of deep fried food here from "Fish & Chip Shops," even though they probably should just be called Fry Shops seeing as everything there is fried. Fish, chicken, sausage, haggis, black pudding, and i've even heard of deep fried pizza . All these are probably the reason that Scottish kids are generally more unhealthy than the average american, if you can believe that . All these usually come as a "supper", with lots of extra fatty chips, and a bottle of Irn Bru to wash it down. Irn Bru is the only thing to truly rival Coca Cola in Scotland, and i think is the most popular soft drink here. Its a wierd, fruity, incredibly sweet and unhealthy drink that is only popular here and in Russia i think, but is banned in America because of some additives or something. Something thats too unhealthy for America . Anyway, feel free to ask more!

Anonymous Poet
Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #41
glatt

Greasy fish and chips eaten out of oil soaked newspaper. I had that in Britain once. Yuck.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #42
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Fish and chips isnt that bad, if you go to a decent chip shop and take it home to eat on a plate instead of from a newspaper. Sadly, there are a lot of bad chips shops out there, and so a lot of people are put off. I get mine from a chip shop a couple of miles away. I always have Chicken Pie and chips, and its great, although has to be limited to once a month or so, or else i would probably put on weight pretty fast.

Anonymous Poet
Old 03-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #43
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What about drinking ale with everything? Do you do that? I will admit (sheepishly) to reading Rosamund Pilcher (too old for you, I am sure) but she's always going on and on about drinking Scotch and soda and beer, etc. etc. until I can't stand it anymore and have to have a drink. If you read her stuff you will believe that people are tossing back Scotch at breakfast! (Admittedly, an idea not entirely without merit) oh--and I can't think that your diet is worse than ours in terms of fat/fried food. Did you see the nine dollar Cheesesteak Image of the Day? Philadelphia rivals anyone with claims to fame where greasy, cheesy, fried and yummy food is concerned.

—James Barrie

Old 03-15-2005, 07:51 AM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Contains: Carbonated Water, Sugar, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Caffeine, Ferric Ammonium Citrate, FD & C Yellow No. 5, FD & C Red No. 40 and FD & C Yellow No. 6.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #45
grazzers
Aim for the Best

As you can see from the Irn Bru ingredients list, there is absolutely no nutritional value to this drink at all, and sugar is the 2nd largest constituent after water . Personally i hate the stuff, but many children, teenagers and even some adults here are absolutley addicted to it. Wierd people.

As for Scottish drinking habits, i dont really drink still being 17 and all, maybe a pint sometimes with a meal, thats about it. Most people here drink about the same as anyone else in the world, and i dont really know any Scotch drinkers. The real drinkers are young folk on a Friday or Saturday night. Then people drink like theres no tomorrow. Binge drinking is a big problem here, people go out to intentionally get completely drunk. There is no logic behind it, they just go out and drink ALOT. Beer, vodka, whatever is relatively cheap and gets you drunk fast. Union Street, Aberdeens main street, is mad at 11ish on a Saturday night, drunk blokes shouting or throwing up etc. Strange thing is there is no evidence left by the following morning. Maybe its like this in every city, i dunno.

Anyway, enough of spoiling the image of Scotland as a peaceful, mountainous country with happy, welcoming, red-headed folk that most of the world seems to have of us. Keep the questions coming!

Anonymous Poet