The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #3211
glatt

Oh. I didn't include a link. My post was more of a commentary on the prevalence of click bait stories on the internet. This particular one was on FB. If the coat is so freaking amazing, just put in the headline what it's made of. Fuck them. I don't care what the coat is made of. If it's that great, I'll find out eventually through other channels. I didn't click the link and I don't know what the coat is made of.

If we boycott click bait stories, they will go away.

And if you are dying of curiosity, then use google to search for the topic, and then they won't know that their click bait headline drove your traffic there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #3212
glatt

This time, I'll include a link.

Here is a cool collection of images of residential skyscrapers in Hong Kong. This photographer has a very good eye. His trademark appears to be centering his camera in a courtyard and aiming the camera straight up, but I also thought this particular image was a nice one.

Name:  balconies.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  148.8 KB
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #3213
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I like the brave soul with no bars over the door. I bet he's a gangster or something, everyone already knows not to fuck with him.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #3214
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

'cause he's the burglar.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #3215
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

LuckyGunner has conducted a fairly exhaustive ballistics test on 117 self-defense handgun loads in .380ACP, .45ACP, .40S&W, and 9mm (with more in the works), looking at penetration, amount of expansion, and muzzle velocity.

Check it out over at Lucky Gunner.

ETA: They also have free printable targets.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 11-09-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #3216
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whew, lot of information there.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #3217
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"The Disturbing Truth About How Airplanes Are Maintained Today"

Quote:
In the last decade, most of the big U.S. airlines have shifted major maintenance work to places like El Salvador, Mexico, and China, where few mechanics are F.A.A. certified and inspections have no teeth.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #3218
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What if the world lost all oxygen for 5 seconds?

I know some of that is basically correct, but is any of it just plain wrong?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #3219
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Some sound pretty far out, but all the metal fusing together is wrong. Removing the oxygen for 5 seconds doesn't instantly remove the accumulated oxidation. There's also the little matter of paint, oil, and other coatings on said metal. They've taken a scientific known and stretched it to an unrecognizable fat tick, then call it a certainty, a "fact". Short on truth and long on hyperbole... commonly known as bullshit.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #3220
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I think they're saying the element itself is removed, not just the free O2 in the air, and oxidized metal minus oxygen would be metal. And they do specify "untreated".

But I don't see how that would work in the "doubled" direction. That seems to be purely atmospheric.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #3221
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you have to add qualifiers to 'removing oxygen for 5 seconds', like oh, by the way, and 'all past effects of the oxygen', it make the statement hyperbole, alias bullshit. Any statement is true with enough modifiers, but this list is over the top. I can't address the other statements without research I don't care to invest the time in, but most sound highly suspect without a lot of qualifiers. I think most of the statements would require a lot of probablys, in-some-cases, generallys, and usuallys, to be valid.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #3222
glatt

FB thought I would be interested in this story, and I am, slightly.

This is the most expensive house currently on the market in the US. $159M

The rendering looks nice enough.

Name:  BN-LE677_1112PE_H_20151110163147.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  124.4 KB

Fly to it in Google Earth and the curb appeal is somewhat lower.
What an ugly service entrance for the utilities. This neighborhood is ugly to me.
Name:  service entrance.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  130.0 KB

And the private docks for your yachts are on the other side of Route A1A! You have to walk across the street to get to your yacht! I suppose if you were the kind of person who lived here, you would drive down your driveway, but then you would have to park your Rolls Royce on the side of the road.
Name:  A1A.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  93.7 KB

The inside is extravagant, if you go for that kind of thing. And I suppose it's all about the inside. Maybe they will find the right buyer.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #3223
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, but there's a guy building a spec house in CA which will be done in 2017, that's 100,000 sq ft,, for half a Billion dollars.

He says most these super expensive houses are being snapped up by foreigners, to keep their money safe here, and only visit a couple weeks a year.

http://www.details.com/story/most-ex...ion-nile-niami
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #3224
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Randall Monroe writes the comic xkcd.

Awhile back he wrote a book called "What If?" providing funny but accurate answers to highly theoretical and weird questions, which Minifob loved.

Now he's coming out with a new book called "Thing Explainer," which explains common scientific principles, but only using the 1000 most common words in the English language (which must be called "ten-hundred," because "thousand" isn't one of them.) To illustrate the concept and promote the book, he teamed up with a popular YouTube channel to create a sample video about becoming an astronaut, or "How to Go to Space." It's fucking hiliarious.

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #3225
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh, that's how it works.