Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #1216
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
My laptop fell out of the bag and out of the car this afternoon and now has a line down it -one column of fucked pixels. It was fine initially, but now it isn't and it's really pissing me off. (It's a laptop but it's the main computer I use -I just plug it in to a real keyboard, mouse and speakers at home)
monster - just add an external monitor. That's what I do at home and at work. You can get a nice LCD fairly cheap. You can attach the external monitor and have two screens for different programs.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #1217
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I was just Layed Off! My last day is to be Dec. 21...
Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #1218
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Merry bloody Christmas then! [/irony]

That sucks, Cicero. (I promise I was not behind it!)
The timing sucks and the short notice sucks and being laid off in general sucks. Were there any hints or signs that this was coming?
More importantly ... what are your plans for the future?

(At first I thought you'd just got laid, and couldn't understand why this was upsetting you. )
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #1219
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Look on the bright side - you get to spend more time in the Cellar (while you're looking for a job, of course).

What type of work will you be looking for? I frequently get e-mail lists of jobs in renewable energy and they're scattered around the country. I could pass them on, if that's even vaguely related to what you do.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #1220
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Well, since the housing market has slowed down and taken a complete nose-dive especially with the sub-prime...well you can imagine that someone in that market might not be able to afford such an expensive assistant. My boss is already being pro-active in assisting me to find something else...She feels terrible about having to do it..

I told her that it would be incredibly difficult for me to find a position during Christmas. But that's just the way the cookie crumbles. If I had a good computer at home and the proper amount of savings for the neccessary programs I could open my tax-id again and do graphics.....I have been offered side graphics jobs in the past and my boss turned them down(her number is on all the materials), so I know people like my work....

I feel a bit shooken up. A little lost. I know I need to be updateing my resume and sending it out right now but I'm too upset to think. I think I'm going to go home and do the resume over the weekend and get it ready. I should be spending the afternoon working because now I really need the hours...but I think I'm just too upset and might lose it if someone is nice to me (get all teary).....No losing it at work!!!

My husband is sweet. He just got the afternoon off from work so he could be there for me.
My dad wrote me an e-mail this morning, he had a heart attack yesterday, and might go back in from feeling terrible again. I don't know where he is right now....
Thanks world. I quit for today. Packing it in to go sort my head out. I'm dizzy with upset.
People are always looking for competent people to hire. It's just that my boss and I have worked very well together since I have been with her and it's going to be tough to find a better boss, and better working situation for the same amount of money. (Preview of job-market right now I can expect lower wages)

So there I am...bleeding all over the cellar...but screw it. Some days you just have to say...Holy Shit!! Did all of that just happen?!? wtf?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #1221
lookout123
changed his status to single

ah, shit cicero! i'm sorry to hear that. i know there isn't much we can do for you here in cellarland but you know we're all behind you.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #1222
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Then I won't post anything other than good luck and I have a feeling I am right behind you too. Some weird things going on here at my office.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #1223
kerosene
Touring the facilities

NOOOOO! No more burrito/chinese wars!

Seriously, I am really sorry to hear that, Cic. If there is anything I can do from here to help, let me know.

(Besides, now is your chance to move back to the *real* mountain state. Lots of jobs in this area!)
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #1224
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Been there, done that.

You have my sympathy and support.

Here's some support: it is painful but not permanent. I only mention it as a first person demonstration of my claim. I do not wish to take anything away from your pain, only your despair.

I really am sorry for the awful news, Cicero. I *know* it is cold comfort today, but this is the beginning of a big improvement for you. You will see.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #1225
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Yikes. Best of luck finding something new, Cic.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #1226
Cloud

Cicero, oh no. Being fired (or let go) always sucks, but just before Christmas Sucks The Big One. That's happened to me before, I know. Not to mention your dad having a heart attack--that's terrible!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #1227
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Just read this Cic. I'm so sorry. Keep your chin up, girl, you're a good person with so much to offer and I bet something else will crop up before you know it. The world is giving you the old one-two, isn't it? Tell the world to bite you and show them what for! I have the utmost confidence in you.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #1228
Griff
still says videotape

Crap! I'm sorry to here that Cic. Keep your chin up and try to think of this as an opportunity for change.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #1229
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Sorry for your troubles Cicero.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #1230
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

[rant]All this talk about student loans and how much parents are required to be burdened with is pissing me off. [/endrant]

Tags
swiss