The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Using the brain as a computer input device

From a Yahoo! News article:

Quote:
A 25-year-old quadriplegic sits in a wheelchair with wires coming out of a bottle-cap-size connector stuck in his skull.

The wires run from 100 tiny sensors implanted in his brain and out to a computer. Using just his thoughts, this former high school football player is playing the computer game Pong.

It is part of a breakthrough trial, the first of its kind, with far-reaching implications. Friday, early results were revealed at the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation annual conference. Cyberkinetics Neurotechnology Systems, the Foxborough-based company behind the technology, told attendees the man can use his thoughts to control a computer well enough to operate a TV, open e-mail and play Pong with 70% accuracy.
True, the technology is still young and bulky, but just think how much computers have been miniaturized in the past 30 years, while gaining enormously in speed. 30 years from now, brain-implant-controlled artifical limbs could be a common remedy for limb loss, or paralyzation. But that also raises some interesting questions, such as, how does one prevent the wrong person(s) from controlling or influencing these mechanical upgrades?

What an amazing modern age we live in.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
busterb
NSABFD

Hope the hell B. Gates isn't involved.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_pastrami
But that also raises some interesting questions, such as, how does one prevent the wrong person(s) from controlling or influencing these mechanical upgrades?
I would think this task would be made simplier by the fact that it's a closed system, not run through the net, not run through wireless, etc. Much harder to crack that kind of thing, I would think.

Also, ya know, it's pretty well guarded by being actually attached to a person most of the time.