The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #16
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
My mom gives me her old copies of Time Magazine, so by the time I'm reading most of it is old news. I don't mind because it gives me a different insight into things that have come to pass. Also, articles such as the recent special section about the human brain are not really time-appropriate.

Anyway, yesterday after the big cell phone thread melee, and what I wrote about the 'look at me' world (here), I read a letter to time concerning them picking "YOU" (us, me) as Person of the Year:

TIME is right. It is the age of "Me." Cell-phone users hold personal conversations loud enough for the world to hear. Drivers swerve down the freeway, coffee in one hand, cell phone in the other, honking and worrying about no one but themselves. Totally uninteresting people make videos describing their lives. Has all this noise made things better? Maybe the next Persons of the Year should be "They," so people might actually consider the existence of other human beings.

BOB WIDMER

As to parents of today, in the college world we call them "Helicopter Parents." I refer again to my post concerning the "don't blame me" generation with an article that sums it up nicely, imho.
Good article. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 AM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Me me me I, me I I I I me, me myself me me.
No...fuck you! Me me me I, me I I I I me, me myself me me!!!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
No...fuck you! Me me me I, me I I I I me, me myself me me!!!
Ha Ha - you said "you". Oh no! So did I! I I I . That feels better...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
So often on forums or tv or overheard conversations I hear teens stubbornly refusing advice in the belief that they know what they want and that's the most important thing. Forget what other people say, especially older people, they will follow their gut instinct because they know it's right.
Umm.....I seem to recall that being standard m.o for most teenagers when we were kids SG.

I really don't think the difference between the generations is so vast....it might feel like it; but our parents felt the same way about the gulf between them and us (Remember all that Generation X stuff? Disaffected youth, Panic on the Streets of London etc etc.) This is what every generation does.....it grows up and looks on in horror at the kids coming up behind it.

You are right I think about the level of choice......kids get way more choices now, they are bombarded by it. But just as having limited choices had a positive effect on some kids, and having absolute choice has a negative effect on some; the reverse is also true. There were kids who reached adulthood and were unable or unprepared for a world in which choices had to be made....there are children now who grow up and know exactly how to navigate their choice filled world to best effect.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Umm.....I seem to recall that being standard m.o for most teenagers when we were kids SG.
O but Dana - were we so whiny about it?!

Think of the kids on Pop Idol who think if they break down and cry and tell Simon how much they want it, it will suddenly make them good enough to go through. They give a vox pop saying stubbornly, "He's wrong, he doesn't know how much I want it, it's my dream" but they haven't had any lessons, don't sing in a band, aren't looking to start their own, haven't ever sung in a choir etc etc. Lazy, lazy losers who think a "dream"makes up for hard work.

Ah, maybe you're right. Maybe when I was the same age as the whiners I simply believed them
Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #21
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's because they know The Secret.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

It's not always a specific generation. You wouldn't believe the range of people who come in and say "my lenses scratched. How did that happen". Well, your lenses didn't "scratch", they don't spontaneously scratch, you fucking scratched them, you moron. And how did they scratch? How the hell should I know - I'm not with you 24/7.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #23
DanaC

Quote:
O but Dana - were we so whiny about it?!

Think of the kids on Pop Idol who think if they break down and cry and tell Simon how much they want it, it will suddenly make them good enough to go through. They give a vox pop saying stubbornly, "He's wrong, he doesn't know how much I want it, it's my dream" but they haven't had any lessons, don't sing in a band, aren't looking to start their own, haven't ever sung in a choir etc etc. Lazy, lazy losers who think a "dream"makes up for hard work.

Ah, maybe you're right. Maybe when I was the same age as the whiners I simply believed them
We`were whiny......we just didn't think of it as whining when we were doing it :P

On the tv stuff......y'can't reach generational conclusions from that *grins* they have people deliberately whipping those kids up to believe they really are good. Winding em up like little toys then setting them off in front of the cameras. They especially choose a bunch of talentless hopefuls and make them believe they're better than they are....Freak show tv, made to order.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #24
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
y'can't reach generational conclusions from that *grins*
No, I agree with you there - it's just the only example I can give that you will also be aware of. I also hear them at the bus stop, in the shops (on their mobile in the queue) etc etc. I'm not damning a whole generation, honestly. I suppose it's just that the whiny ones are the ones you hear because they are the loudest and most self righteous.
Quote:
We`were whiny......we just didn't think of it as whining when we were doing it :P
That one I give you
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
DanaC

*chuckles*
Old 03-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I didn't whine. I knew that would be the straw that broke my ass.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #27
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I never had to whine. I was the youngest and the only boy.
I got spoiled more than milk in a lactose intollerant household.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i agree with rage. i'm more likely to be called arrogant than anything. but it's not my fault that i'm better than you are. i don't even exercise.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #29
KGZotU
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I see it as a spectrum: completely unimportant decisions, somewhat important decisions, and truly important decisions. Children shouldn't be allowed to make the truly important decisions for obvious reasons, and they shouldn't be given unimportant decisions like the color of their cup because all it does is teach them these things are important when they're not. Only the decisions that are comfortably in the middle are good learning tools.
Clodfobble, I really appreciate your anecdote and wisdom here. I'll remember it as I raise my own children. Also liked UT's analysis.

I definitely see this generation of young adults as fairly self centered. Or, maybe I should say that their culture is much less considerate. I take community college classes, for example, and the library is filled with blasting ear buds and loud conversation.

It seems like parents today are afraid to tell their kids that they're doing something wrong. The wife and I were sitting next to a fish tank at dinner one night. A little girl of perhaps 7 scooted between our table and the tank, nudging our table aside. The mother just stood there and had a conversation with her about fish.

I say, loving and jovial chastisement when your kid makes a mistake. Loving and firm disapproval when they disrespect someone else.

--Joe
Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #30
monster
I hear them call the tide

I don't think that much changes in the levels of narcisism in each generation, but I think there are trends as to how cool it is to flaunt it. Today's trend/advertising slogan is "I'm worth it so I'll damn well show it"; "Have it your way". A generation ago it was "Only I know how good I am" (Brits of the right age will recall the Flake chocolate bar eaten in the bath ignoring the phone ad -private narcisism).

As Dana says (paraphrasing) teenagers always know best and always whine. And thank goodness, because if they didn't have that confidence that they were right and hard done by, they'd never make it through those awful years.