The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-20-2006, 05:23 AM   #76
rkzenrage

How can you declare a Fatwa against something you are not supposed to be doing to begin with?
These Fataws are like a damn hobby now.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #77
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Urbane:

This what you posted in an earlier thread :

Quote:
He can't spell or edit. He particularly cannot get foreign terms correct. He handles written English like someone not born to it, as is particularly evidenced in the absence of articles. This is not someone to respect.
This seems to me to be in contrast to the spirit of what you've just asserted to Clod. I also think it shows you in a very bad light. Are you really suggesting that someone whose use of English isn't perfect should thereby be undeserving of respect?

I've known a lot of very intelligent and worthy dyslexics who might disagree with you on that score. Not to mention a lot EFL students.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #78
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am saying that such a poor, inattentive writer cannot hope for respect from good writers in that regard. I remarked on that as just one more defect in a terrible array of things wrong. Tw's manifest desire is to be taken as some kind of sage fount of wisdom. Well, absolutely not. I haven't met a leftist I would account truly wise in all my fifty years. What I have seen are dingdongs, communists' dupes, cranks, and one or two outright crazies, in the company of frauds like Ward Churchill, who is now a few months away from being fired from UC Boulder for academic fraud and misconduct.

You have no hope of prevailing in this dispute, Dana. I know good and I know bad, and I know when they are presented to me. I don't buy shoddy intellectual goods.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #79
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Having different viewpoints not always results in being unwise, especially when supported with facts. Then again, it has always been the tactics of the anti-lefties to kill the messenger...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #80
Urbane Guerrilla

The lefties try the identical tactic, and too often succeed.

I'm convinced the right-of-center has the real brains. Then too, National Review, Commentary, and the World Jewish Review could persuade anyone of that.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #81
headsplice
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
The lefties try the identical tactic, and too often succeed.

I'm convinced the right-of-center has the real brains. Then too, National Review, Commentary, and the World Jewish Review could persuade anyone of that.
Both sides are guilty of it.
And did you really just say that the NRO has the real brains? Or is that sarcasm not coming across the Intarnetwebs?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 AM   #82
Urbane Guerrilla

As any sarcasm about NR or NRO's intellectual power is completely unjustified and practiced therefore only by the pseudosophisticated and the mendacious, none, of course, was intended.

They tend to pass tests of wisdom when it comes to foreign policy. Try testing it yourself.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #83
headsplice
Relaxed

I've only read their domestic coverage, which is laughable, at best.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:41 AM   #84
Urbane Guerrilla

I do not find it laughable, but considerably better than that. One thing I do expect of NR is that it will, above all else, articulate a point of view that is Roman Catholic and conservative. The Catholicism tends to show up in occasional explicit Mariolatry and that they dislike abortion -- hardly surprising. Their support of an assertive (sometimes emphasized) foreign policy will probably continue long after the semiretired William F. Buckley is in the ground. I don't entirely agree with them all the time, but then who would? The world just isn't that dully uniform. However, they are too smart for the wise to dismiss. The foolish may follow their own headstrong course, straight into a wall.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #85
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Just for fun, do you know that mushmouthed is not a word? . . .
Are we having fun yet?
Beestie, it's unwise to try teaching your grandmother to suck eggs. It wastes your time and she's likely to hit you one with her cane.

Webster's Third doesn't have an entry for "mushmouthed;" Webster's New Universal Unabridged does. You could always look it up. I came across it in a Barnes & Noble yesterday evening, and well, what did I see...

I'd say the points you raised in the post I've quoted you from haven't held up any too well. I know what I'm doing; if you don't, best you sit back and watch.

Also, some dang fool who doesn't like Urbane Guerrilla very much will be moved to squawk to the effect of "you're still on this?" -- many dang fools don't like me, true -- but I'm just tying up a loose end.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #86
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Their support of an assertive (sometimes emphasized) foreign policy will probably continue long after the semiretired William F. Buckley is in the ground.
Not that their war mongering was approved by Catholics in general or the Holy Father.

"When war, like the one now in Iraq, threatens the fate of humanity, it is even more urgent for us to proclaim, with a firm and decisive voice, that only peace is the way of building a more just and caring society," he said.

The Pope, in a speech to employees of Catholic television station Telepace, added: "Violence and weapons can never resolve the problems of man."

The Pope led the Vatican in a diplomatic campaign to avert war, putting the Holy See on a collision course with Washington and its backers in the Iraq campaign.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #87
Urbane Guerrilla

When has there been a Pope in the last sixty to one hundred years who understood when it was time to go to war?

Griff, wrt teaching grandmothers to suck eggs: surely you can recognize metaphor?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #88
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Beestie, it's unwise to try teaching your grandmother to suck eggs. It wastes your time and she's likely to hit you one with her cane.
Have you been in a coma or something? You are replying to a post I wrote three or four months ago.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #89
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Have you been in a coma or something? You are replying to a post I wrote three or four months ago.

It just took him that long to think of a snappy reply !!!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:47 AM   #90
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
It just took him that long to think of a snappy reply
Don't you mean.....repli, Zippy?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote