The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #1
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

deck the halls

Ive been put in charge of the 2006 xmas party.
i got quite excited to begin with. i have 1000 ideas swimming through my head.
so far my ideas span thus far:

Gangster themed. cigars. blackjack and poker games and hire some dealers. sit down formal dinner and then play the games. prizes include meeting a tiger at the zoo. wine. etc etc and we all have to dress like gangsters. and have a jazz like band.

My other idea:

mexicano party!! tequila, pinyata. cactuses and games of gambling and darts.

its been a bit hard actually. trying to organise everyones availiablity, people whinging about having to play games.. dress up etc. the budget and logistics of it all.

sigh

What was the best staff christmas party that you ever went to? what made it so great? (apart from the free booze)

Does anyone have any ideas for "adult" games to play that i can organise?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Why not put on your parkas and have a snowball fight? Or all dress like Santa Clause? Then you can play the adult game spin the bottle or strip poker.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

It depends a lot on the corporate culture and the demographics of your workforce. There were a lot of parents of young kids at Aldus when I was there. They had Christmas parties where the whole family was invited. Those were at childrens' museums etc. I've also been to black tie affairs with string quartets. Those were also very nice.

Edited to add --
I like the '20s gangster theme. I don't gamble (nothing against it. I'm just very unlucky that way). But the rest of it sounds like fun.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've lost count of the number of business functions I've been to with mock gambling themes. Everyone is always just killing time waiting for the meal, and then gives their "chips" away to someone else because the "prizes" aren't worth it. IMHO the best business parties are the ones that are thrown the way a normal person would throw a party--just have lots of good food, music, and drinks, and let everyone relax. No one wants to participate in a team-building exercise that they're not even getting paid for.

A "White Elephant" gift exchange is always popular here--that's where everyone brings one ridiculous gift and then everyone gets a random one to open, add in rules about who picks first and trading/stealing gifts as desired...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The best work party I went to had a Wild West theme. Yes it had a free bar, but there was some magic X ingredient that night that made everything work.

As with all parties at that company there was a Christmas Party Planning Committee (which I was on, natch) and although we had a reasonable budget, more was done by ingenuity and hard work than by throwing cash at it.

We made personalised "WANTED" invites using existing staff photos (from ID) slipped into brown card wallets to look like they were behind bars. We copied a game from a popular breakfast show at the time - can't remember it at all! but it involved balloons. And there was a prize for the best department floorshow - only 4 entries but one was the Directors which of course went down very well.

Each department took a theme (ours was Bar Room Tarts - another dept came in their underwear!) and we also hired a bucking bronco.

During the meal, western themed songs were played - some from musicals, some country & western - and half the guests ended up standing on their chairs for a rousing rendition of Oklahoma by the end of the meal.

Then we had a normal disco.

You may not be able to use any of those ideas, but blimey I had fun remembering that night!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
Gangster themed. cigars. blackjack and poker games and hire some dealers. sit down formal dinner and then play the games. prizes include meeting a tiger at the zoo. wine. etc etc and we all have to dress like gangsters. and have a jazz like band.

My other idea:

mexicano party!! tequila, pinyata. cactuses and games of gambling and darts.
Nothing like celebrating the birth of The Saviour with a bit of gambling or taking a whack at a pinata. Are you sure this isn't just a bit too nonsecular for a work gathering?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
seakdivers
Icy Queen

We have an annual company get together - it's never held on a precise date, but it's sometime in the winter. We usually have about 50-60 people, and we are all basically a huge family so we all have lots of fun planning it. We vote on the theme each year - here's a couple of them:

Wild West - we ordered extra cowboy hats & indian headdresses for those that didn't have costumes
Famous Characters - I was little red riding hood & my husband was the big bad wolf
Mardi Gras - we had extra feather masks, feather boas & beads for everyone
High Seas - there was everything from pirates to the entire cast of Gilligan's Island
Chinese New Year - that one was kind of a dud, but the food was awesome.
Luau - that one was fun. We had a whole roasted pig, and a friend of ours had fresh leis flown in for us. We also had poi. I'm never having poi again.
60-70's theme. A coworker of mine got a mullet wig for her husband. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a loooong time
Y2K - people brought cases of bottled water, toilet paper & wind up clocks...which were handy the next morning when we all had hangovers!

There were lots more, but it's too early in the morning for me to use my brain so we are going to have to go with the short list.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What? Nobody suggested...togas.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakdivers
Famous Characters - I was little red riding hood & my husband was the big bad wolf
Did he . . .

OK, sorry, that one's too lame even for me.

I'd suggest strippers, Sun_Sparkz, in a variety of genders. You'll almost certainly be unemployed afterwards, but your memory will live forever.

What's your budget? I think a really good party would be to get the whole company in a room and give everybody a gift card to some suitably generic store, and then say "Now go home early and do something you like instead of hanging out here and pretending you don't hate all the other employees!!"
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

hahaha - do you work with me steve? i think thats what everyone would prefer!

See we only have a staff of about 15 9and thats incorpporating two branches) and then with partners that makes 30 guests.

i have about $3000 to spend

HOWEVER - there is tension in the air with noone liking everyone (but everyone liking me!) - there is a recently divorced couple that both work with me and also they will be bringing their partners (oh yay) another two have a tri - love thing happening with someones husband and its just like.. oh god!!

so the games are a must so that i can keep everyone "controlled" if you will. - if everyone sat around relaxing then the conversation may turn sour quite quickly.

i am 90% sure ill be going with the 20;s/ gangster theme and the gambling - mainly because i love blackjack and never lose and i look damn hot in pants suspenders and a black gangster hat. fook everyone else!

the wild west theme sounds great! i'm SO doing that next year!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Well be sure to send pictures.... but it sounds like you have enough cash to do my gift card idea!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I think the best holidiay party I ever attended was a cruise on a riverboat in Tampa. The food was great, the christmas lights along the river were awesome and everyone was dressed to the nines. Afterwards, most of us invaded a 9th Ave club in Ybor City. It had dueling grand pianos on a stage and the pianists got the audience involved with jokes, getting people to strip and other non-professional type activities. I'll never forget the CFO sitting on one of those piano's stripping off 90% of his clothes while the staff did shots and cheered!!

Party was an enormous hit and talked about for months.

Stormie
Old 09-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #13
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Your ideas sound wonderful stormie! I am excited for you!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz

HOWEVER - there is tension in the air with noone liking everyone (but everyone liking me!) - there is a recently divorced couple that both work with me and also they will be bringing their partners (oh yay) another two have a tri - love thing happening with someones husband and its just like.. oh god!!
Oh yes, you will have an open bar!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
be-bop
Operations Operative

I hate office/works Christmas parties,all that false jollyness all the pretend bonding.
Your boss/bosses pissed trying to be everyones friend and when it's back to work they'll walk past you in the corridors looking at you if you're pond life.
Fuck em lifes too short for that shit.
When my office is having it's Christmas party I take the day off and go out to a nice resturant with my wife have lunch and a few drinks and wind down before the real christmas madness starts..
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote