The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-26-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Bad direction karma

Did you ever have a stranger come up to you and ask for directions... and you very confidently gave them directions... and then after it's too late, realized you gave them the wrong directions???? I just did that this afternoon... I told him he needed to bear right at a particular place and I realized 5 minutes later it should have been left. I feel soooo guilty....
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you've built up enough good direction karma, RandMcNally, the Celtic Patron Goddess of directions will cause the individual to go the right way despite the flaw in the directions.

I'm the designated direction-giver at work (we are more than just "off the beaten track" and I have successfully given directions to folks from as far away as Maryland. I'm also good at getting people off our property.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

It has been almost two weeks since I did that. The lady wanted to get to a particular lake the name of which didn't ring a bell, but she asked where a certain road was. I sent her to the road like 6 miles away and then remembered that the new owners had changed the name of a lake about 3 miles away... in the other direction.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:30 PM   #4
garnet

I have no sense of direction whatsoever, and it really sucks. I can get lost coming home from work. Whenever somebody asks me for directions my standard answer is "I'm just visiting here, sorry, I don't know." Keeps me from building up any more bad directions karma.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

An honest mistake should bear no guilt. That you have guilt only adds 'good' to your karma. Your intentions determine the direction of your karma. That the consequences of this bad, but innocent, advice are trivial should ease your mind.

Cheers

Hell, I know a bhuddist...I'll have to ask hime this kharma question.
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:21 AM   #6
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I'm the designated direction-giver at work
I hold this title at work too, only I'm the one who knows the Fairfax portion of Alexandria inside and out and nearly all of the co-workers in my group come from the deep dark depths of Maryland. So when it comes to where food is, or how do I get to Springfield or Where's Fort Belvoir, I'm the one to ask.

I'm also the offical driver and navigator when on road trips with other people. I just know how to find places and then find my way back of places, even if I've never been before.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
SouthOfNoNorth
Colloquialist

here's one to stump you karma evaluators. i used to work as a security guard when i was in college. the visiting team fans for football games would ALWAYS come up to me and ask for directions. they were obnoxious - older snotty alumni with visors/polo shirts/too tight khaki shorts/white socks with penny loafers. i used give them the most fubar directions. i'd have fun coming up with ficticious landmarks for them to find and make a turn at (i'd almost always use a purple house, though, for some reason that was my favorite). the question is, do i incur bad karma for my naughty deed, or good for punishing the infidels?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 AM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopulus Argentarius
That the consequences of this bad, but innocent, advice are trivial should ease your mind.
You've obviously never been in Havertown... this guy could still be driving around the rat-maze-like streets, trying vainly to connect back to a major artery.

That's a tough one SouthofNorth.... I'd lean toward saying it was bad karma. Although it's a tough call.. snotty old alumni from your own school would be bad enough; snotty old alumni from an opposing school would certainly be a trial.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #9
jdbutler
If ya cant take a joke, Effya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfNoNorth
Do i incur bad karma for my naughty deed, or good for punishing the infidels?
Punishing yuppies is always good Karma...
You may now pass "Go" and proceed directly to East Liberty.

(For all you non-yinzers, "Sliberty" is the black hole of Pittsburgh, You cannot escape once you fall in.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
hampor
Colloquialist

my excuse

I did that once, but I blame it on a bad map.

The Appalachian Mountain Club map for Mt Desert Island (Maine), had the route number printed next to the wrong road. At the next intersection someone asked me for directions and I cheerfully pointed them the wrong way.
hampor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:42 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
I have no sense of direction whatsoever, and it really sucks. I can get lost coming home from work. Whenever somebody asks me for directions my standard answer is "I'm just visiting here, sorry, I don't know." Keeps me from building up any more bad directions karma.
How do you ever find the next protest site? GPS?
Old 09-10-2004, 12:13 AM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I love Country directions , " go down to where the barn USED to be on Mr. Geoerges land and take a right ".
Now how the HELL am I suposed to know where the barn USED to be , much less who the HELL Mr. George is ???????
Old 09-10-2004, 01:37 AM   #13
marichiko

Oh my, this entire thread is just too funny! There is NO SUCH THING as bad directions karma. I know this because I have spent the better part of the past 5 years being perpetually lost. If you want good karma, give people the wrong directions on purpose! I have met more kind people, seen more new and amazing things in the past 5 years of my life than ever I did back when I still had a sense of direction. I no longer call it getting lost, I call it making new friends and finding amazing places. I have arguments with my GPS! It will give me my coordinates, and I'll tell it that it is the most bald faced liar I've ever met. It will sulk for a while, take another fix on a passing satellite and spit back at me "accurate to within 14 feet!" To which I'll reply, "then we've had it, you stupid little thing, we're on a road that has no existance on the map; there's no way back to civilization and you don't have any spare batteries!" Then we'll go around a curve in the road and find the most awesome, drop dead beautiful place I've ever seen since the last time I've been lost which was 3 hours ago. Life goes on. Sooner or later the damn road has to lead SOMEWHERE - I don't care how contrary it might appear - or I meet a rancher or a couple of hunters from Alabama and they give me wonderfully precise directions which I forget the moment their jeep has disappeared around the curve, and, oh well, this place would make a great campsite and tomorrow's another day. Don't sweat it!
Attached Images

Last edited by marichiko; 09-10-2004 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 AM   #14
No_TimE

today,i was at school~a new girl in grade 1 asked me the position of the washroom,i told her the man's room without thinking(because i usually go there ^^) and then she immediately ran away(run very fast),then i shouted at her loudly that i was wrong, but she did not hear me~~~i begun to run after her and caught her ,i apologized then tell her the right way......... ...... .......