The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #2131
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'm up to the part where Nadine moves in with Harold in Boulder. About 2/3 of the way through.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #2132
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Stephen King's books are usually a really good read. He has the ability to draw really believable and approachable characters. I loved Needful Things. Awesome book.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #2133
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Finished Player of Games - Iain M. Banks

Definitely liked it better than Consider Phlebas. Pacing was more even, and the concept was fascinating ... lots of that headology stuff going on.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #2134
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Stephen King's books are usually a really good read. He has the ability to draw really believable and approachable characters. I loved Needful Things. Awesome book.
When I was in HS and college my mom would get me the latest King hardback for birthday or christmas. I've always loved his 'non-horror' stuff, like The Body, from which Stand By Me was made, or Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

I got his latest collection of short novels from the library and only read one before I had to return it. I may give it another shot but the story I read didn't really do it for me.

And he is STILL carping about getting hit by that car. Yeah, it was subtle but he was absolutely whining about being hit by a car and being a celebrity.

Of course, if I were hit by a car I might feel similarly. Of course, if I were a multi-millionaire I might feel differently.

Right now reading I'm reading Good Faith by Jane Smiley. It's not my favorite of her books that I've read. Really way too much detail into the crazy madcap world of real estate. I guess real estate just isn't my bag, baby.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #2135
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey
And he is STILL carping about getting hit by that car. Yeah, it was subtle but he was absolutely whining about being hit by a car and being a celebrity.
No kidding. He even turned his getting hit by that car into a major plot section of the last Gunslinger book. He seriously needs to let it go.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #2136
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
No kidding. He even turned his getting hit by that car into a major plot section of the last Gunslinger book. He seriously needs to let it go.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who has noticed. I noticed it some years ago, but as I was reading the story I actually said out loud to myself "Oh for god's sake LET IT GO!"

I can even almost forgive the getting hit by the car carping, but it was OH SO WORSE for him because of his fame and fortune. pffffft.

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #2137
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Out of books rfn...Reading a stack of about two years worth of Rolling Stone mags my buddy gave me, circa ~2006-09.

Why would anyone ever pay for this rag? The interview, or the Q&A, is the only thing in there worth shit, and only about one out of five of those is interesting stuff. Unless you're a fan of epically slanted political writing.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #2138
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Rolling Stone hasn't been good since they started printing on slick paper.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #2139
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't like the smaller, magazine-type issues, either.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #2140
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I just finished Doctor Who: Evil of the Daleks - John Peel
It's a Troughton story and it was fantastic. I'm not used to the plots being quite so complex as this one, particularly in older Who stories, which usually managed clever, but rarely were multilayered.

Riddley Walker - Russell Hoban
Several people on my Apocalypse Whenever Book Club have recommended it. I'd never heard of it. Haven't actually cracked it open, but it's ready to go.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #2141
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I'm reading Deceiver (#11) in C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series. I had started reading Betrayer (#12), but realized after the first page that I had skipped over a book in the series.

Amazing series. Sort of Shogun meets The King and I mixed in with a little Babylon 5.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #2142
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I just finished Doctor Who: Evil of the Daleks - John Peel
It's a Troughton story and it was fantastic. I'm not used to the plots being quite so complex as this one, particularly in older Who stories, which usually managed clever, but rarely were multilayered.

Riddley Walker - Russell Hoban
Several people on my Apocalypse Whenever Book Club have recommended it. I'd never heard of it. Haven't actually cracked it open, but it's ready to go.
think the Troughton era, and particularly the latter part of his run is when the stories do start to get a little more complex. Not all of them, there are still the simple adventures and/or morality tales, but some of them are quite multi layered.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #2143
Griff
still says videotape

I read The Unincorporated Man by the Kollin Brothers and A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz on vacation this week. Both get high recommendations. The Kollin Brothers book is strong sci-fi with a cool premise and will give you something to reflect on in the What is the nature of freedom? department, especially if you are a reflexive libertarian. Horwitz travels the Americas trying to piece together the exploration and colonization of the US vs the nonsense our generation was taught BITD, good stuff.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #2144
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I'm up to the part where Nadine moves in with Harold in Boulder. About 2/3 of the way through.
You're close to the end then.
I think Larry was badly treated by the story. Okay, so there's a part of him that's like biting on tinfoil, but by the time he's punished for it, he's reformed anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I was hit by a car. On a ZEBRA CROSSING! [cars give way to people as a rule of the road]. I still mention it. It's a good story. And all I got was soft tissue damage. Although this does mean I have a large numb spot on the point of impact, which makes shaving my legs more exciting. Oh and the biggest and baddest bruising anyone outside of hell could imagine.

Had I been hospitalised I'd have had far more to write about.

I liked Lise's Story and Duma Key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
I'm reading Deceiver (#11) in C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series.
I'd like to change my name to Cherryh.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #2145
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just started a Long Rider story: "Kill Crazy Horse", by Clay Dawson.

Tags
books