The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
itsjulie
Vice-President of Resentment

Who goes to the gym?

I TRY to go 3 - 4 times a week...just increased my cardio to 45 minutes with a 5 minute cool down...burn about 500 calories doing so...just like to know stuff, so want to know what everyone else is doing. Would like to incorporate weight training, but always seem to run out of time.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Julie - I have been trying, although not that hard, to get to the gym. I did order a treadmill, but since I am in Alaska it has to be delivered via barge, and it won't be here until about the 19th of this month. Bummer.

My sister and I have a guy that is our "personal trainer", AKA creepy guy that likes to watch girls lift weights, and we go three times a week if he's available.

My goal is to be in kick ass shape by August, so here's crossing my fingers!!
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:50 AM   #3
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

i try and get there 6 times a week, 3 for upper body weights and 3 for leg/lower back weights. then 3 times a week running a few kms (about 3 miles).
i like to try and look good
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I prefer the bowling alley to the gym. It's air conditioned (usually chilly beyond all reason) with mood lighting and has a bar. That's my kind of work out.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

My wife and I won some small prizes (I got a free personal trainer session, my wife got a week's free membership) from Mitch's Gym at the Restaurant Festival, designed to get us in the door where we can be hard-sold on the virtues of a year's membership. Haven't cashed them in yet, but it's tempting.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I haven't been in months. Very bad. (I'm trying to make it up with some skating, which I enjoy more, but I'm having trouble shoehorning that in.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I try to go to the gym at least 3 or 4 times a year whether I need it or not.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakdivers
Julie - I have been trying, although not that hard, to get to the gym. I did order a treadmill, but since I am in Alaska it has to be delivered via barge, and it won't be here until about the 19th of this month. Bummer.

My sister and I have a guy that is our "personal trainer", AKA creepy guy that likes to watch girls lift weights, and we go three times a week if he's available.

My goal is to be in kick ass shape by August, so here's crossing my fingers!!
If he's really a creep, seak, you might want to consider changing your goal from kick ass to kick balls. Trust me, this is waaay more effective.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I joined the gym at the beginning of August, promising myself that £39.95 coming out of my bank account every month would make me go on a weekly basis.

Ahem.

Haven't even had my induction yet.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My husband and I take a martial arts class twice a week. It's been far easier to stick with than a gym because we know someone else is expecting to see us, so it makes it more of an obligation.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
lheene
Resident Denizen

I don't go to the gym.. I just have street dancing lessons coz it's more fun!
lheene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #12
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I used to go religiously when I lived in NC until last December. I got Mono... and couldn't exercise for a month. Then I was really busy but tried to go a few times a week... and did okay... until I got a really really bad case of the flu at the end of March, then I couldn't go. Then I graduated from law school, moved away, my gym membership expired and I was unemployed for the summer.

I'll get back on it again... I enjoyed it. I also have my bike now too, but it's getting too cold to take it out much.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I do 'Body Pump' (which is weight training using barbells and many reps) then do cardio after, generally 1 hour or 5 miles on the eliptical. I only do body pump twice a week...the rest is cardio and sit-ups with some weight machines.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
itsjulie
Vice-President of Resentment

cjjulie - That body pump class is unbelievable! I took a few classes before I switched gyms ( my current one does not offer it) and WOW - what a work out!

Clodfobble, what color belt have you made it to? I made it to purple belt - also enjoyed that but the studio I was going to was like 20 minutes away - made it hard to commit to....
Old 10-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Still a white belt, because they only have testing once every three months. There's no such thing as a purple belt in my school, but I'll assume that's pretty good...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote