The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
Grace
Layperson

Angry Fucked up mental priorities.

If you think about it...If you put someone on a stage in front of an audience at gunpoint, I'm sure a lot of people would be more afraid of embarrassing themselves than they would be of having their brains blown out.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

For some reason I've never had much of a problem doing public speaking. The only time I've ever had real stage fright was when I did stand-up comedy a few times in college. I had to get liquored up to do it.

Comedy is the hardest of all performing arts. If you are an actor or actress you've got other actors to help you if you mess up a line, if you're a singer and you're done with your song, you'll get courtesy applause. But if you're a comic and you're not funny people not only laugh they get mean. I usually did ok when I did comedy but there were a few times where I got the loudest silence in the world and I wanted to run screaming off the stage to escape my flop sweat.

I think that's why they use violent terms like, "I killed 'em".
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:37 PM   #3
Grace
Layperson

I've never had trouble with public speaking either, but a lot of my friends would rather eat shit than speak in front of people. My state requires all high school students to take a speech class, and they were all on the verge of pissing their pants all semester.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:18 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Grace, this is the last thing you want to hear BUT you're much too young to be so angry.
Yeah, yeah. I know. You're tough as nails, you don't give a fuck what I think, you know where it's at, yada, yada, yada.
Believe me, you are entitled to your opinion and to express it as much as anybody else.
So am I. And mine is you can have an opinion on whether anything is good or bad but you seem to feel everything is bad and that will consume you.
Lighten up a little and you'll find there are some very cool things in the world around you.
I'm not attacking you. I'm trying to be a friend.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Grace
Layperson

Haha, I think you have me a little misread. I'm just an angsty teenager. I'm not one of those angry children that listens to slipknot and paints their bedroom black and cuts themselves and thinks its cool. I think of myself as semi-intelligent, and while a lot of shit clutters my brain, a lot of comes out in a negative way. Sure theres good things around me. I love music, and animals and nature etc.. But blah, teenage angst is something that inhibits us all.

Nice to meet you, Bruce.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:40 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I agree...you're still young Grace...there's a lot of life out there. You're not allowed to be so angry until you're at least 21.

Could part of the issue be that you live in Boise?

But I also agree with the initial post to a point. I think that can be easily said for teenagers, who tend to be more esteem-centered. I think that fades away as you get older...at least for most people. Unfortunately, some people never get past the esteem issues.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Grace
Haha, I think you have me a little misread. I'm just an angsty teenager. I'm not one of those angry children that listens to slipknot and paints their bedroom black and cuts themselves and thinks its cool.
Well that's certainly good to hear. That shit is so played out anyway.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:45 PM   #8
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Wow I didn't nocie that you're from Boise. Beautiful place down there. I actually have a cousin who moved there from Chicago the end of last year.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I think that fades away as you get older...
If I fade any more I'll be transparent.

Nice to meet you too, Grace. By the way that was my Grannie's name so it make's me all warm and fuzzy and there's damn little that'll do that anymore.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:51 PM   #10
elSicomoro

Damn, that's one hell of a change of scenery for your cousin.

I've heard nice things about Boise...it's just fun to bag on people's hometowns. I mean, you can come up with shit on any town. e.g. "Filthadelphia"
Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 PM   #11
Grace
Layperson

Yeah. Boise blows ass. I would do anything to get out of here.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:06 PM   #12
elSicomoro

Good...now I feel better.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #13
Cam
dripping with ignorance

He was originally from Butte, MT so it wasn't bad for him. He actually is liking it better in Boise then Chicago, more outdoor activities and all.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:17 PM   #14
elSicomoro

[butt-head]Huh huh...you said "butt."[/butt-head]
Old 05-05-2003, 10:19 PM   #15
Grace
Layperson

sycamore, did you see the post i put on your "sycamore the published poet?" something like that thread?