The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #46
Gannet495
Disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, God's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
btw ... are there no more prophets, ever again, or, if there are, how do we distinguish them from crazy streetcorner bums?

... I have a hard time swallowing "because it happened a long time ago" as a rationale for valuing one crazy rant over another.
1Co 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Christians are the ones who prophesy, by the Holy Spirit, to tell people to repent of their wickedness and believe in Jesus the son of God. Prophecy is a gift, it is not earned, and God chooses who he gives it to. When that person receives that gift, they are expected to use it to deliver the message to an unbelieving world in hopes that someone will believe and be saved.

The quotes are here as authority to back up what I'm saying. If I merely say something, and don't back it up with Scripture, it is only my opinion, and opinions are worthless when it comes to God, they are only the imagination of man. God has revealed himself very clearly in the Bible and by his Holy Spirit, and you can be born again today if you will not harden your hearts to the gospel.

We all have a right to our opinions, and to express them, and to back them up with appropriate texts as we see fit.
Gannet495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #47
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet495 View Post
The quotes are here as authority to back up what I'm saying.
Unfortunately, they fail to do so. You're gonna have to justify the authority of the Bible before you try to use it as one.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #48
rkzenrage

I like how authority and opinion are interchangable... just good fun!

The bible as authority, yeah, the world is flat, stationary on pillars under a dome, rabbits chew cud, snails melt, bats are birds and it is ok to murder a kid that says "no"... wheeeee look at me I'm an authority!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #49
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

LoL. He's back!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #50
rkzenrage

Oh... I was so holding back... Bruce is being nice right now.
Don't tell him...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #51
Gannet495
Disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, God's Son

Mock all you want, but on that last day, you will regret it if you don't repent and believe in the crucified Savior Jesus.
Gannet495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Don't you mean the day after the last day?

Is this one of those this week-next week things?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #53
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*chokes on chicken kiev* damnit......shouldn't eat in the Cellar.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #54
Ibby
erika

Gannet, if heaven is full of preachy, whiney sunzabitches like you, I'm GLAD I'm not going. Besides, how many musicians, artists, generally cool people do you think make it to heaven?

Sorry bub. Havent sold me yet. Try something other than threats, maybe?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Oh... I was so holding back... Bruce is being nice right now.
Don't tell him...
I see no problem with arguing with Gannet.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet495 View Post
The Apostle Paul specifically says that the church is to rebuke its members and let God do the judging of the world.
1Co 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
1Co 5:10 Yet not altogether the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one no not to eat.
1Co 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
1Co 5:13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

See, Christians are suppose to have judgment WITHIN the church, only of its (voluntary) members. God is the one that judges the world, Christians are to rebuke one another to keep each other on the straight and narrow path.

How can a Christian expect a heathen to do the "right thing" since they do not have the Holy Spirit? Any Christian knows (believes) that only by the Holy Spirit can people truly do good works, and the Holy Spirit is received by faith in Christ Jesus the Lord. So if someone doesn't have faith in Jesus, a Christian can't really expect them to produce good fruit.

A lot of people have been jaded by the hypocrisy of church-goers, because they have twisted and neglected this essential concept: God judges the world, not us. Let God do what God does best: judge.

Christians suck at judging, and even if we didn't, the judgment is only supposed to occur WITHIN the church, AMONG people who have claimed to have repented of all their sins.
Now if Gannet had practiced what he (?) preached right here, everything would be lovely. But when he expanded his repertoire to fire, brimstone and a pox, on the rest of the community, he opened himself to rebuttal.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #57
Cloud

I don't think people should criticize others in the first place.

In the second place, who cares what "people say"? I mean, are you referring to the idiot on the street, journalists, or scholars? It might make a difference, but not much, to me.

And lastly, basic or common sense truths, such as it's wrong to condemn a whole group of people for the actions of a few, should apply to all religions.

Last edited by Cloud; 08-07-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: To point out it's in response to Flint's 1st post
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #58
rkzenrage

Why not, there is no reason to respect an idea you don't hold.
It does not disrespect the person who holds it.
That is a myth/fallacy held by people with no self-esteem.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #59
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Why not, there is no reason to respect an idea you don't hold.
It does not disrespect the person who holds it.
That is a myth/fallacy held by people with no self-esteem.
i personally don't think you should disrespect something just because you don't believe in it. i personally don't believe in the concept of homosexuality but i wouldn't disrespect someone just for being different than me...unless they were men (JK)
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #60
rkzenrage

Not respecting something and disrespecting something are not related in any way.