The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Their only problem was that they didn't apply for a National Endowment for the Arts grant.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
Shocker
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

The other important thing to note here is that this is something that happened here. You're right to say that they've integrated well into our society and understand what is not acceptable behavior, however if this happened somewhere else in the world then I'm sure the response would have been different. Its almost like there is a double standard in that Islam must be respected, but other religions are jokes
Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #18
rkzenrage

It is a Bible, a book... every one is a holy relic? I don't think so.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #19
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't think it proves anything about anything really, other than the fact that like everything else, to generalise about anything or anyone is wrong.

Some people do things the right way, some do things the wrong way.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #20
Hagar
Master of the Domain

Hmmm...

Monty Python makes the "Life of Brian": death toll/riots = few
Some wacky Danish guy draws Allah with a bomb: death toll/riots = lots

I think our lot has a better sense of humour.

Anglo Australian society has generally, I think, taken a turn-the-other-cheek attitude to this sort of behaviour, particularly since the Cronulla riots last year, which was as much "our" fault as it was "theirs". This latest incident has gone relatively un-mentioned in the media generally and on right-wing talkback radio in particular. Interestingly, a report was released last week which blamed talkback in particular for inciting and encouraging the riots. I wonder if they're afraid to say anything?

You can piss on the bible and burn the flag all you want. It doesn't change their meanings or what they stand for and it won't change Australian society one bit. It only makes the kid with his dick out and the matches look stupid, and makes it harder for his father to make a living.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
It is a Bible, a book... every one is a holy relic?
Burn a flag instead. Then god will not get mad. Is god as hateful and as intolerant as those who so care so much about bound paper?

Early scriptures were found in a cave. They used it for toilet paper. We should hate them as well?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #22
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

What it is made from is irrespective of the issue - Be it a flag, a book or a cup is not the point. What is important is what the "item" represents.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I agree. Pissing on the Bible is not so much about the action, it's the symbolism. Like saying, "Piss on your religion!" or culture, or whatever.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #24
rkzenrage

To me it is the same as being called a nigger or honkey... if you are ok with who you are, it does not affect you. It cannot be an insult if you do not think your race is a bad thing.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #25
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
To me it is the same as being called a nigger or honkey... if you are ok with who you are, it does not affect you. It cannot be an insult if you do not think your race is a bad thing.
Thats what makes America such a great country - its "within your rights" to piss on a bible or burn our flag. Oh, just don't do it in front of me, cuz its "within my rights" to kick you're effin' ass - and gladly!
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #26
rkzenrage

I see you did not get my point.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

waay off subject here, but--if saying nigger is not a bad thing, why did Michael Richards apologize to a stunned America? were those black guys in the audience not "okay" with being black? I doubt it. Or, was it if ANY black person might take offense, he had to apologize? by that argument, the boys who pissed on the Bible were wrong because somebody, somewhere might have been offended. Like showing the bottom of your shoe to some Arabians---they simply take offense at that.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #28
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar
You can piss on the bible and burn the flag all you want. It doesn't change their meanings or what they stand for and it won't change Australian society one bit. It only makes the kid with his dick out and the matches look stupid, and makes it harder for his father to make a living.
Thank you for that, I'm going to hijack it for a bit I think.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #29
rkzenrage

I did not say being a racist is not ignorant and thinking that the difference of melanin makes one "different" is not the height of stupidity.
Two, very different things.
My statement is about those who get offended.
If you are ok with your religion, race, nationality and who you are, you cannot get offended by such simpletons.
BTW, I think burning a flag is a perfectly acceptable form of protest.

If someone punished a father for a son's protest actions, they are far more ignorant than that son could ever be.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
BTW, I think burning a flag is a perfectly acceptable form of protest.
So do I.

I didn't word my reply well...what i mean is, should we assume that black people are ok with being black? of course! if they are ok with it, saying nigger shouldn't offend them because they are OK with themselves. Why did Jesse Jackson and others get upset with Richards when he said it? I am assuming here that Jesse is ok with being black. This doesn't have anything to do with RIchards being a racist (though he is, I believe) it has to do with the notion that if blacks are OK with themselves, which we assume they are, why apologize for an offensive remark at all? It shouldn't affect the black community AT ALL.

—James Barrie