Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post

Why didn't my fancy school have personal trainers?

. . . oh yeah. That was before personal trainers!
Sounds more like you had impersonal trainers.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

As far as I can remember school PE wasn't meant to be like a high end gym with personal trainers developing specific plans for each individual. It is a cookie cutter approach to getting at least some exercise squeezed into our sedentary lifestyles as children so that maybe we'll see the value and continue through life.

I wasn't a jock, but I loved the team sports.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
Cloud

yeah, that cookie cutter approach nearly turned me off exercise for life.

Team sports to me means: standing in the outfield in the hot sun. Tennis: running around in the hot sun (did I mention I hate being out in the sun?). Field hockey: incomprehensible tedium. Basketball: running.

Guess I'm just not a cookie cutter person.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #19
lookout123
changed his status to single

the point of the class was to force people like yourself to experience those things because they know you wouldn't do it on your own. chances are the people that excelled and enjoyed those activities also did them in their free time so for them it was just icing on the cake. for the others that prefer to be inside and not hot, or sweating, or moving quickly, or whatever it is an attempt to get them moving and try to introduce a couple of healthy ideas into their lives.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #20
Cloud

that sure wasn't the point of my p.e. class. Even if it was, it backfired.

and I'm sure that was fine for most people. I'm just not most people, and it really damaged me rather than benefitted me.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #21
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I loved P.E. in school, even in spite of our evil, scary teacher in jr. high. The only sport I didn't like then was gymnastics. We had to spend an inordinate amount of time perfecting routines on the balance beam and uneven bars, and kids were always falling off of them. Worse, one girl went and broke her ankle when she fell off the balance beam.

In high school, I took P.E. as my electives--one year, I had it for three classes. No gymnastics thank god, but lots of tennis, basketball, aerobics, and weightlifting. Plenty of track running too, which I'm not the biggest fan of either...but at least it wasn't freaking gymnastics.

Now...I walk quite a bit, but I haven't played a sport (except for maybe golf) or gone to a health club in a really long time. I kind of hate health clubs, actually. To me, part of the fun of physical activity is a group social-interactive aspect, which is what P.E. had, and health clubs don't seem to.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
Flint
Snowflake

I took Golf as an athletic credit in high school.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

PE was ok. I lettered in swimming and water polo in high school. Those sports let me use my physical attributes to good advantage, namely height/length/reach and, shall we say, buoyancy. I *hated* running, and still do. I appreciate the cardiopulmonary benefits, but it sucks for me. Pounding and wheezing and burning up. I was much much happier working just as hard in the pool.

I college there were fun sports (intramurals) but not much organized PE. I did continue my water based activites in college. I earned my WSI (water safety instructor certification) which let me teach swimming, and coach competitive swimming. I parleyed that into a lifeguard gig and that into the pool manager position. Getting paid to tan is really really the way to go in college in Southern California.

I've always been built for comfort, not for speed. I'm still not that fast, but my endurance has continued to increase with age. I can hike forever. The hills are ok, as long as there's no race to the top or the bottom, and I can shoulder a heavy pack. I just don't like to be in a hurry.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #24
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
a lifeguard gig and that into the pool manager position. Getting paid to tan is really really the way to go in college in Southern California.
until you have to deal with skin cancer later in life, which is exactly what my boss is doing now, due to his lifeguarding. Hope that doesn't happen to you! Sunscreen!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #25
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I am with you in this thread, Cloud. I HATED p.e. class. Hated it with every cell in my body. I hated being the last to be picked, being pitted against stronger, faster people for the sake of 'getting to the end of the gym first', hated playing a dumb game I didn't care about. Hated it. I liked that in high school I got to choose to some degree. I chose weight lifting, which I liked. No competition for competition's sake. No dumb games that I didn't care about.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
Cloud

glad I'm not alone, here. I do see your point, too, Lookout. Sort of. And, after all, schools are required to provide physical education, and they may be operating under all sorts of constraints. And I went to a very small school.

But I do wish there had been a bit more emphasis on encouraging young people to find out what type of physical activity they enjoy, rather than forcing them to endure . . . anything. I'm just contrary--don't like to be made to do stuff.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #27
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I had a love hate relationship with PE. In elementary school, I was fairly good at most sports, so I enjoyed playing whatever game we were required to play that day.

As I got older, I turned into more and more of a whimp. I didn't like gymnastics because I have this fear of being upside down and falling. I loathed volleyball because I thought (and still think) it was lame.

I did like pickle ball, floor hockey and playing with parachutes. I also liked square dancing because it was so hokie.

In high school, I moved to Illinois where state law requires PE every day. I took "Total Body Fitness" which was a girls class where we did aerobics, weight lifting, and unfortunately ran a lot outside, up to 3 miles sometimes. Me and running do not get along. As I got older, I began to loathe gym because it was 50 minutes that I would have rather focused on academics than doing step aerobics.

Now that I'm older, I generally like to work out. I prefer fitness classes over just going on a treadmill, but will do what I can to preserve the ol' bod.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
the point of the class was to force people like yourself to experience those things because they know you wouldn't do it on your own.
Like shower, dress, and get to the next class in 4 minutes... then sit quietly, still damp and sweating, for the next period.

Or maybe an hour in liquid chlorine for the first period Friday morning, then spend the rest of the day smelling the chlorine you couldn't possibly get off and still get to your next class on time.

No, I wouldn't do it on my own.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Showering nekkid with other dudes!

I wouldn't do it on my own
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #30
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Probably one of those middle of the road peoples. I liked high school track and field,tennis,horseback riding at home. Hated grade school p.e. and the fact girls got the huge softball I couldn't throw and the boys got the nice sleek small fast hardball.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote