The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
rkzenrage

For portion control, look to the container

For portion control, look to the container

This is BS. When the fast food joint I frequent increased the size of their largest meal I just ordered the next size down & when I am full I stop eating, even when I am not done with the sandwich or onion rings.
If someone eats a larger sandwich or drinks a larger drink it is because they wanted a larger sandwich or drink. They ordered it because it was available, that is all.
This is just more "people are not responsible for their actions so we lawyers and psychiatrists can make as much jack as everyone can pay".
Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
They ordered it because it was available, that is all.
They ordered it because they didn't bother to think about what they were doing. "For only 29 cents more, you can get twice the food. Do you want that?" Most people will say yes, because it's a better value, not because they are hungry. Then they are dismayed they are getting fat.

I didn't read the article, I admit, so I can't comment on what it says. But the portions at American fast food chains are so large, and the food so unhealthy, that we are raising a country of whales. The health care costs are going up for everyone as a result. As someone who doesn't typically eat at fast food joints, I'd like it if others would eat sensibly and not raise my health insurance premiums.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
rkzenrage

So they ordered the larger portion, no one forces "them" to eat it all... one does so because they want to.
Placing the/any blame on the restaurant is just stupid.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Its funny, with all the driving I've been doing I've eaten McD's quite often lately. I've been eating the salads. Talk about huge! They are good though and being enormous they might just wean a few folks off the Mc artery clogger. I hope it isn't too late for Americans to start taking responsibility for themselves because when the Feds do it for us, we will get Katrina-ed.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Exactly. The blame lies with parents who made their kids finish everything in front of them.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
rkzenrage

AMEN brother.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't go to McDonalds for healthy eating, even if they do serve nice, crisp, tasty salads. And actually eating the recommended portion size on a food container? Who here drinks half a soda?

If the notion is externally motivated portion control, then more things should come in single serving packets.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
rkzenrage

I often drink half a soda. I don't think my wife has ever finished a full soda.
By the same token, if one does not want a large soda... don't order one, duh!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
glatt

Quote:
Placing the/any blame on the restaurant is just stupid.
As is anyone who disagrees with you. Right?

The restaurant is pushing this pricing scheme because they make money on it. They don't do it for the benefit or well being of their customers. In fact, they have market research that tells them that the customers will almost always fall for it. They also have the nutritional information that tells them that what they are selling their customers is bad for their customers. They know what they are doing, and they are doing it for a profit. I think they share some of the blame.

To be clear, the customers share the lions portion of the blame for not thinking about what they are ordering.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I think they share some of the blame.
But should you be allowed to legally force them to stop doing it?

Edit: I don't mean you you, glatt, just society/government in general.

Last edited by Clodfobble; 08-01-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
As is anyone who disagrees with you. Right?

The restaurant is pushing this pricing scheme because they make money on it. They don't do it for the benefit or well being of their customers. In fact, they have market research that tells them that the customers will almost always fall for it. They also have the nutritional information that tells them that what they are selling their customers is bad for their customers. They know what they are doing, and they are doing it for a profit. I think they share some of the blame.

To be clear, the customers share the lions portion of the blame for not thinking about what they are ordering.
Disagree with me all you like.
I know there are many who feel that people are not responsible for their actions. If you are one of them, fine, enable away.
I makes no sense to me.
If you take an action, you had to have thought of it before doing it, unless you are insane.
If you eat at a fast food restaurant, you do so because that is where you want to eat, instead of somewhere more healthy.
If you order a larger sized meal, it is because you want to instead of a smaller one.
If you eat all the sandwich, it is because you wanted to finish it instead of stopping when you were half done.
It ain't hard.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
But should you be allowed to legally force them to stop doing it?
Good question. Probably not.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #13
Ibby
erika

At Burger King, before I stopped eating meat, I wouldn't get the 8-piece chicken, I would get the five-piece. Four of them. And king fries.

Larger portion size =/= people eating more.

People liking/wanting more food = people eating more.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
At Burger King, before I stopped eating meat, I wouldn't get the 8-piece chicken, I would get the five-piece. Four of them. And king fries.

Larger portion size =/= people eating more.

People liking/wanting more food = people eating more.
Wrong, larger portion could mean some is left or the smaller portion is ordered in it's stead.
Where are we getting that because they offer larger portions people are forced to order them instead of the smaller ones and if they do that they are forced to finish them?
It is illogical.
The second statement is accurate, if they want more, they will eat more, that has nothing to do with the restaurant, they will find one that serves what they want.

Edit: Sorry, you were agreeing with me... I did not get the first symbol as meaning that it did not equal eating more. Thanks.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 08-01-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
glatt

Quote:
Disagree with me all you like.
I know there are many who feel that people are not responsible for their actions. If you are one of them, fine, enable away.
So you think it should be legal to be a drug dealer, because the drug problem is 100% the fault of the users, and the sellers share no blame?