The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Cloud

Parking and commutes

How far away from your door do you park?

How far is your commute?

Long commutes and far-away parking lots suck. I remember them, but I'm lucky, 'cause mine are close, close.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I used to park at this massive park-n-ride lot (Cornwells Heights) to take the commuter train into Philadelphia. It was so big that they ran shuttles to take people to and from the trains. When I got off the train from the city, it could take up to 15 minutes to walk back to my car...and I'm not a slow walker.

The longest commute I've ever had is 45 minutes. When I lived in the northeast part of Philadelphia, I never really had the fortune of working anywhere near home.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Rhianne
Nearly done.

About two arms lengths, sometimes three - it depends if I have bags to carry or not!

I drive about twenty miles to work which takes me less than half-an-hour.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

My commute is about 30 minutes because the roads are so twisty-turny that I can't drive very fast on them...and I have to park in the back of the parking lot for work...so walking into the store and getting my vest at the BACK of the store and then walking back to the front to clock in..is about a 10 minute walk. (see: my iowa commute page thingie for photos )
Old 09-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i have a shite, heinous, perilous commute, and i park behind Buca di Beppo, next door to the dealership....and walk around the back ...In the morning, I walk through a fog of ode de dumpster...and at night, (assuming i get out before they close) I walk through a wave of garlic and hunger pheromones.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've got no parking spot, so I park anywhere from 10 feet to two (long) blocks from my door. My commute is 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic and (perpetual) roadwork.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My current commute is about 15-20 minutes, depending on route, traffic, and stops at the WaWa.

When I move my commute will be 7 minutes, including a stop at the WaWa.

At home I currently have to park between 40-50 yards away from my door. I don't have much control over this, as the building layout is such that I have a minumum of 30 yards of sidewalk to the door.

At work my arrival time is such that I get to use a visitor parking space most of the time, so I'm right across from the door. A full parking lot with no handicapped spaces open means that I have to park around the side of the building, which is not a problem in the daytime, but too dark and isolated for nighttime use. People do fairly regularly threaten to kill me, after all.

As far as the handicapped spaces thing goes, as I know there is a potential for outcry ... my office has five, and I won't park in one unless there are at least two remaining open when I pull in, three if the handicapped nurse is working and her car isn't already parked. We have HR's permission to do this because of the scary side parking lot effect. The handicapped spaces don't get a lot of use. My other option is to park in one of the Ambulance spaces. I've done that too. The car gets moved as soon as a regular space opens up.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

My car is parked in the garage and hubby's car gets parked in the driveway, about 25' from Jeep door opening to house door.
I don't work so my commute is nil.
Hubby's commute is all of a mile, maybe a little bit more, but certainly under 1.5 miles. Two country roads, one stop sign.

His previous commute when we lived in WA state was 55mi one way along the Columbia Gorge. Nice to view the first few times, same-ol-same-ol every trip afterwards. The ice storms were the worst...icicles up to 16" long SIDEWAYS off the phone poles and fence posts. Nearest gas station was 40mi from his work. Only two roads to drive there, Columbia Gorge or the Bickelton Hwy. Whole lotta nuthin'.
When we moved across the country, he said NO MORE COMMUTE. And that is how we house shopped; "What's in THIS specific area?"
Old 09-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

No parking for me. The walk to the commuter train is about 8 minutes. The train ride is about 20 minutes. The walk from Union station to Sears tower is about 3 minutes.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
A full parking lot with no handicapped spaces open means that I have to park around the side of the building, which is not a problem in the daytime, but too dark and isolated for nighttime use. People do fairly regularly threaten to kill me, after all...
Yeah, but that's just the Cellar being the Cellar.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I don't commute anywhere these days, except the grocery store a couple of times a week. But back when I did, it was about a 10 minute drive, maybe a 1-2 minute walk from the parking garage to the office door.

The job before that was a 15 minute drive in the mornings, 30 minute drive in the afternoons. Traffic patterns are stupid here.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Slightly off topic but...

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who recently came back from a six-month work assignment in Germany. He said, I can't believe how fat everyone here (in Detroit) is. Fat people, fat cars, fat houses, fat roads, ...

I think all of these things are related, including the long commutes, the large amount of time we spend in our cars, and the small amount of time we spend walking.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
manephelien
Smooth Ruffian

No parking. I live a 10-minute walk from a commuter train station, the train trip takes 13 minutes, and then it's another 15 minute walk to work. I live in a city of about 1 million people. Nyaah!

Now I'm applying for another job (2 interviews to the same place and an aptitude test so far) where the office is right next to the train station, so my total commute would drop from 45 to 30 minutes if I get it. Fingers crossed...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #14
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

30 minute drive and park about 40 ft from the door.
theotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #15
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Where I used to work, if you got there > 8 the west lot was full so you had to drive around to the east lot and a 15-20 min. walk . So I started to carry my bike and rode around the south side on the equestrian trails from the east lot to my office. The 'onlab' parking was for head honchos only.

Now I ride every day.
Attached Images