The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Atkins Snacks

There are so many low carb foods out there, but there are many that taste like refried dead rat droppings. What is worse is that most of it taste bad and is expensive! I keep experimenting because last time I was on Atkins a long time ago, I got desperate for other tastes, and that led me to quit. This time I have been on Atkins for a month, and still going strong.

I am going to list the foods I have tried so that others might avoid my mistakes as well as benefit from my good finds.

Atkins Crunchers 'potato chip' style chips - good if a bit expensive. Avoid the nachos flavor as it tastes like feet and smells like a locker room. stick to original flavor. Sour cream and onions as well as barbequeue are okay, but not as good as original

Keto low carb macaroni - cost me seven dollars for a box the size of a normal kraft mac and cheese. I could not eat more than a forkfull, I can't even describe the taste as my reflexes made me spit it out, kinda like how you flinch away from a hot object. My dogs seemed to like it, but regular dog food is much cheaper. Not for human consumption.

Keto 'milk' powder - (claims to taste just like milk!) - okay, it did kinda taste like 1% milk. quite watery, and doesn't seem to dissolve completely so there is some white powerdy stuff floating at the top of the glass. Not a good combination with Keto frosted flakes - the artificial flavors of both seem to combine, so I would rather go without than have this strange tasting 'cereal' concoction.

Keto frosted flakes - taste sweet (a little too sweet for my taste) and a bit cardboard like. Probably would be good in real milk, but see note above when using low carb 'milk'.

Carbolite (Carborite) chocolate bars - taste great! almost as good as a real chocolate bar with real sugar. Uses sugar alcohols (which are neither sugar nor alcohol). I eat it sparingly as it seems to affect my blood sugar.

I have found a local brand of low carb bread that is excellent. I don't have its name right now, but if asked I will go hunt it down. It seems to affect my dieting a bit more than the number of carbs it claims to have would imply (the way those low carb choc bars do), so I eat it sparingly.

Please if anyone has tried the atkins advantage ice cream, or any other stuff, let me know!
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Atkins Endulge bars (Chocolate and Chocolate Crunch) are actually tolerable. They don't taste entirely like REAL chocolate, but are an admirable substitute. Also, they have the advantage of being made with Splenda instead of Nutrasweet, so are not as chemically evil. (I checked the splenda.com website and was unable to confirm something I "heard" about the product ... is that the stuff that's the left-handed isomer of sugar?)

I haven't tried the Atkins Ice Cream, but a diabetic friend tells me that another friend told her that the Butter Pecan is pretty tasty.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Isn't the Atkins diet essentially "meat and veggies", with an exception added to "veggies" to nix potatoes and rice and so forth?

What's wrong with carrots and fruit?
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Too many sugars.

(South Beach just allowed carrots back in on phase II and III)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunks
Isn't the Atkins diet essentially "meat and veggies", with an exception added to "veggies" to nix potatoes and rice and so forth?

atkins in 15 words

eat meat, green veggies, tomatoes, eggs. don't eat sugar, flour, starchy veggies, rice. Limit carbs!

I should publish that.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

5 word addendum

later add nuts, cheese, berries.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunks
I do eat a few baby carrots every now and then, just for the nutrients and change of pace. They have to be eaten sparingly as they have carbs, though nowhere near as many carbs as potatos and rice. As for fruit, berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are good in very limited quantities. Most other fruits just have to many natural sugars (fructose).
Old 02-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i eat an atkins advantage bar for breakfast almost every morning....the mocha crunch is the best. slight after taste, but a sugar free menthol cough drop usually fixes that. when i get a sweet tooth, i pop one of those cough drops.

other snacks:

nuts

beef stick and cheese w/mustard

pumpkin seeds ( david )

michelob ultra ( 2.6g/bottle)
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:41 PM   #9
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
The Atkins Endulge bars (Chocolate and Chocolate Crunch) are actually tolerable. They don't taste entirely like REAL chocolate, but are an admirable substitute. Also, they have the advantage of being made with Splenda instead of Nutrasweet, so are not as chemically evil. (I checked the splenda.com website and was unable to confirm something I "heard" about the product ... is that the stuff that's the left-handed isomer of sugar?)
Not sure, but I found some no-so-positive sites about it:

The Potential Dangers of Sucralose

Splenda is Not A Healthy Sweetner

Sucralose Toxicity Information Center

The first two sites are by the same author.

*trying to ween herself from those sweetners, but it's hard to do when just about everything contains it!*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:57 PM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

This sort of thing is why I tend to eat in the Sugarbusters(tm) style. Their basic method is to stay away from white starches and most sugars -- down to and including regular sweet corn -- unless they be taken with a generous measure of fiber. Stuff like Master's Winter Wheat whole grain bread (it's flourless, too) rather than Wonder Bread, to use a really obvious example. It's all about using fiber to slow the absorption of the carbs -- along with having the carbohydrate in bigger lumps, so it takes its time being broken down into glucose, and thus cuts your pancreas' insulin production a break -- which it turns out makes a nice remedy for Type 2 diabetes and for overweight. It's also a simple dietary method to implement, requiring nothing in the way of sole-source special foodstuffs.

About the sole commercial doings in the Sugarbusters method is that they sell you books, rather than kits full of Gosh-Wow Dieter Chow.

Give it a look. I'll bet you'll pick up some helpful tips. They have a cookbook, too, speaking of tips.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
Bawb
Person Who Has Posted

does amount matter to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysycamore
Not sure, but I found some no-so-positive sites about it:

The Potential Dangers of Sucralose

Splenda is Not A Healthy Sweetner

Sucralose Toxicity Information Center

The first two sites are by the same author.

*trying to ween herself from those sweetners, but it's hard to do when just about everything contains it!*
I work in a chocolate factory that makes some of the atkins stuff. I a 6,500 pound batch of chocloate there is only a few ounces of sucralose. It's mostly made of fiber, maltitol and or lactitol.
Bawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:39 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Wow! Working in a chocolate factory?? How cool is that! Is it really like that I Love Lucy episode?

Old 01-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

God, I think I would rather be huge than force myself to choke down all the hyper-processed "health" food listed in this thread.

Is it the societal norm to want to shoot heroin rather than eat a bagel?
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
staceyv
Lecturer

My exboyfriend was on Atkins. I used to make him oily soy pancakes with peanut butter- he loved them.
You're probably better off eating real food. Corned beef with mustard, mayo and lettuce is yummy.
You can also roll up deli meat with cheese in romaine lettuce.
Homemade aioli sauce: 2 T mayo, 1 T horseradish 1/2T crushed garlic

Burgers with extra cheese and bacon sandwiched between romaine is nirvana.
ground lamb and feta cheese meatballs....

with the choice of ANY meat and cheese, mayo, lettuce, other low carb veggies, I can't understand why anyone would even want to eat all that overprocessed crap.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #15
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Or just exercise everyday and you can eat all the bread you want.

Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote