The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-26-2001, 12:40 AM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Talking Aluminum Foil Reflector Beanies ...

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
have you believe in Black Helicopters and Tin Foil Anti-Mind-Control-Ray Hats.)

Just go there. It's good. Promise.

http://www.zapatopi.net/afdb.html

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 07:04 AM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

ahhh safe again

Thats the site! Now I can go outside again.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 09:49 AM   #18
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

The scary thing is that it took me a few minutes (until I reached the testimonials page) to determine whether that page was SERIOUS or not.

Or have I spent too much time trolling the locals at Free Republic lately?

jeff. who are, thankfully, not contagious
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 04:47 PM   #19
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

Actually, some of the Navy helicoptors are actually dark blue, but heck, they look black to me. So, I couldn't understand why my cousin Ed jumped 20 feet one day at the community garden when I mentioned that "One of your black helicoptors is above us" while we were out weeding. (Willow Grove folks seem to like to see what we're up to out there!)

BTW, when it comes to sales tax, the State folks have the final say as the tax money is supposed to go to them-- both Pittsburgh and Philly had to get state permission to raise the sales tax and keep the extra. What with all the public school funding problems between Philly and Harrisburg lately, I don't think Harrisburg is going to let Philly raise the sales tax again. . .
GarlicQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 10:46 PM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by GarlicQueen
BTW, when it comes to sales tax, the State folks have the final say as the tax money is supposed to go to them-- both Pittsburgh and Philly had to get state permission to raise the sales tax and keep the extra. What with all the public school funding problems between Philly and Harrisburg lately, I don't think Harrisburg is going to let Philly raise the sales tax again. . .
God, this state is damned near repressive.

The city is only attempting to save face. IMO, a state takeover might work wonders. Given that the student population is dropping, the schools are falling apart, the teachers pseudo-struck last year, and now they may not be able to pay them...hell, give the Parking Authority back. Take the schools instead.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:29 PM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

The city is only attempting to save face. IMO, a state takeover might work wonders. Given that the student population is dropping, the schools are falling apart, the teachers pseudo-struck last year, and now they may not be able to pay them...hell, give the Parking Authority back. Take the schools instead.
Philly cannot be in trouble. They just raised taxes to build two new stadiums to replace stadiums that they did not perform maintenance on for the past 20 years. With all those new stadiums, the Philly economy must be booming - after all was that not posted in Cellar mark II? With all those subsidized navy yard jobs, then everything is rosy in the Philly economy.

Oh? You mean the new mayor is historically a power hungry, head bashing mentality? The mass transit system has reverted to MBA mentalities (political appointees and accounting types)? The new 'temporary' stadium carpet cannot even be put down properly by city officials? How can it be since the region - spent so much to look good to George Jr's party- including brick wallpaper on the center divider concrete of the Admiral Wilson Blvd? How can it be since 85% of all problems are directly traceable to top political management?

Oh? That explains why all mass transit expansion plans have been quashed. The same city councilmen are also on the board of directors for the port AND for the Philadelphia Gasworks. Their appointees make plans and spend money on Septa. That explains why the region has no new transportation (highway) plans (I 95 and I-476 will remains crossing over each other without any connection; I-95 southbound will never connect to I-76 westbound; I-76 eastbound will still require getting off onto local roads where all that new stadium construction occurs to get on I-95; the bean counters cannot even propose a solution to the Schukyll Expressway). They region has negative growth compared to national averages. Even the so called high growth areas in Chester county don't even lead the state growth rates. The population is dropping and aging because young innovators must leave the state to find growth jobs.

Of course. We still have the same bean counter mentalities who cannot even purchase street signs at intersections or direction signs for the many twisting highways. Just try to follow local street signs for the Tacony Palmyra or Betsy Ross bridges. We still have a water company that intakes Schukyll River water so dirty that the only thing missing is dead human bodies. PAs libraries - 49th in the nation (of 50 states). Ahh, but we kept costs down. We still have a city without any long term growth plans - except those to subsidize rich corporate sports companies.

Kids - they don't vote - may they be damned.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 08:04 PM   #22
elSicomoro

Speaking of that money...

My check came yesterday. And although it was nice to look at the $300 check in my hand, I knew there was a hidden string attached to it...pulling me towards income tax hell...
Old 08-14-2001, 08:19 PM   #23
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Philly cannot be in trouble. They just raised taxes to build two new stadiums to replace stadiums that they did not perform maintenance on for the past 20 years.
And now the city may be sued for any money the Eagles cannot recoup through insurance, thanks to last night's debacle.

Although, maybe you can answer this, tw. WHO will own these stadiums? The city, or the Eagles and Phillies, respectively?

Quote:
Oh? You mean the new mayor is historically a power hungry, head bashing mentality?
I don't mind John Street. He is able to cover where Rendell couldn't (e.g. the Unions, no SEPTA strike). The Daily News makes him out to be so shady though...and I'd wager it to be only half-true.

Quote:
Oh? That explains why all mass transit expansion plans have been quashed. The same city councilmen are also on the board of directors for the port AND for the Philadelphia Gasworks. Their appointees make plans and spend money on Septa. That explains why the region has no new transportation (highway) plans (I 95 and I-476 will remains crossing over each other without any connection; I-95 southbound will never connect to I-76 westbound; I-76 eastbound will still require getting off onto local roads where all that new stadium construction occurs to get on I-95; the bean counters cannot even propose a solution to the Schukyll Expressway). They region has negative growth compared to national averages. Even the so called high growth areas in Chester county don't even lead the state growth rates. The population is dropping and aging because young innovators must leave the state to find growth jobs.
You meant 276, not 476, right tw?

Also, if I understand correctly, weren't there plans to build a "crosstown expressway", only to be stopped by local opposition (b/c it went through Southwest and West Philadelphia)? Not to mention, the whole fiasco with the building of the Blue Route.

My thoughts on SEPTA are mixed. SEPTA seems to have most of its transit routes where they are most used and needed--in lower income areas. The access is fairly good where I live, but it could be better. More and more people are latching on to public transit across the country...including here in the Philadelphia suburbs. But it doesn't seem to grow with the demand. Not to mention, SEPTA has the whole area on lockdown, other than PATCO and NJ Transit. The neighboring suburbs may wish to explore their own versions of mass transit.

Generally, suburbs seem to have a better head on their shoulders than their city, but it seems like everyone is on level footing here...along with the commonwealth.