The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
SamIam

Your rights come from god

In a statement that might have been made by our very own JBK, Paul Ryan, Romney’s new running mate, said “Our rights come from nature and God, not from government.”

Sooooo… I think it’s pretty safe that to assume that Ryan was speaking of the Christian god and not Allah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Why is it now okay for the Republicans to muddle the line between Church and State? Why do my rights have to be set forth by that ill natured and petty deity described in the bible – especially the old testament god?

If I am a Buddhist, can I petition to have my rights come from the teachings of the Buddha as set down in The Pali Texts? What if I want to use the Ashtavakra Gita? If elected, will Romney introduce legislation in line with the teachings of Moroni? Of course, atheists will be fucked. Their rights will be more like rules and laws forced upon them by mere whim and caprice.

And what’s this about nature? Nature is amoral. It doesn’t bestow or rescind the rights of living organisms. Nature is actually only interested in preserving the genes of the fittest species – whether it’s an amoeba or a fruit fly or a human being. So, does that mean that people who can afford large families are the ones who get the rights from nature (whatever that may be)?

The Republican party seems to represent the lunatic fringe more and more as time goes on. What’s next? Will voters have to provide proof that they are members of a Christian Evangelical Church along with their picture IDs before being allowed into the voting booth?

Pfffffffft!

Sent by ESP via crystal ball.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Sooooo… I think it’s pretty safe that to assume that Ryan was speaking of the Christian god and not Allah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Why is it now okay for the Republicans to muddle the line between Church and State? Why do my rights have to be set forth by that ill natured and petty deity described in the bible – especially the old testament god?
Well state is those left wing, hippie, big government, welfare bums, the church & GOP will protect us from. Oh, and Christian is new testament.
Quote:
If I am a Buddhist, can I petition to have my rights come from the teachings of the Buddha as set down in The Pali Texts? What if I want to use the Ashtavakra Gita?
Of course you can... if you can afford it.
Quote:
And what’s this about nature? Nature is amoral.
So are they.
Quote:
It doesn’t bestow or rescind the rights of living organisms. Nature is actually only interested in preserving the genes of the fittest species – whether it’s an amoeba or a fruit fly or a human being.
So are they.
Quote:
So, does that mean that people who can afford large families are the ones who get the rights from nature (whatever that may be)?
Of course not, anyone subscribing to the GOP dogma gets them.
Quote:
The Republican party seems to represent the lunatic fringe more and more as time goes on. What’s next? Will voters have to provide proof that they are members of a Christian Evangelical Church along with their picture IDs before being allowed into the voting booth?

Pfffffffft!

Sent by ESP via crystal ball.
When Billy Graham dies for your sins you'll see the light.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Since god's number one man on earth was operating a pedophile racket, then does that mean we all have the right to be pedophiles?

Or is there a double standard?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Since god's number one man on earth was operating a pedophile racket, then does that mean we all have the right to be pedophiles?

Or is there a double standard?
Silly boy, of course there's a double standard! That's what makes America great - no banker left behind - unless that's the way he likes it.

Personally, I am waiting for the government program which allows me to trade my plain old water for wine, and medical care good enough that it can raise me from the dead. Walking on water is another right I intend to demand.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

You'll have to settle for being able to sue if you walk on water on a hard, smooth floor.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
You'll have to settle for being able to sue if you walk on water on a hard, smooth floor.
My god only promises to convert water to wine. Their god converts water to champagne. Another double standard.

Remind me. I need to get a better church.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh, and Christian is new testament.
But... but their churches still insist you tithe, which is firmly Old Testament. And they (loosely) promote the ten commandments, which are Old Testament. And they insist they are blessed because they are the sons of and follow the example of Abraham, who is older than most of the Old Testament.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf View Post
But... but their churches still insist you tithe, which is firmly Old Testament. And they (loosely) promote the ten commandments, which are Old Testament. And they insist they are blessed because they are the sons of and follow the example of Abraham, who is older than most of the Old Testament.
Which brings me to a major issue I have with god and rights. I don't think it says anywhere in the Bible what man's rights are. There's tons of stuff about what we shouldn't do, but little to nothing about what we have a right to do.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

You have the right to be the plaything of a capricious and self-obsessed creator?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
You have the right to be the plaything of a capricious and self-obsessed creator?
That proves it. Religion IS a front for pedophilia.

Of course, back then they did not know how to spell it. So they could not discuss it in the Bible.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Ever make out a check payable to The Old Testament? The church insists you tithe, where they idea for the scam is immaterial.

Isn't it strange they're promoting (one version of) the Ten Commandments, when Jesus said forget that Jewish history shit, the only commandment is Love thy neighbor as thyself.

They are blessed because they get to cash the tithe checks. Also, they are blessed because they said they're sons. Their son's are emailing from Nigeria.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Ever make out a check payable to The Old Testament? The church insists you tithe, where they idea for the scam is immaterial.

Isn't it strange they're promoting (one version of) the Ten Commandments, when Jesus said forget that Jewish history shit, the only commandment is Love thy neighbor as thyself.

They are blessed because they get to cash the tithe checks. Also, they are blessed because they said they're sons. Their son's are emailing from Nigeria.
Oh I agree. Tithing is what gives these megachurch pastors their big houses, expensive suits, smooth-as-butter cars and 'missions' to New and Exotic Lands... to convert the locals of course. After the safari. And the tours. And the beach. They sure didn't get the money from the lottery. The tax benefits of being the pastor of your own church are pretty sweet too.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
They sure didn't get the money from the lottery.
Buy your tickets now, and you could win eternal bliss! More tickets are more chances to win!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Buy your tickets now, and you could win eternal bliss! More tickets are more chances to win!
No, no! The money is from BINGO!

and probably male prostitution. And a lot of art theft. Etc.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
SamIam

So, do the last few comments point the way to the right to big tax refunds for true believers? You, Mr. Halliburten CEO, win a zillion dollar bonus, a zillion dollars in tax refunds (engineered by your tea party friends), and a trip to the Cayman Islands!