The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I second Sundae's list and add Hugh Howey. I don't think his books are classed as YA but they are all appropriate for such an audience, IMO.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I did find that 55% of young adult books are bought by adults. Old adults.

Perhaps there will be some non-Kindle readers after all?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just read your other post about not even being allowed to submit your application.
Shittington.

Sorry babes.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #19
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Lot's of interesting input, everyone. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Two words: Amish Romance. Probably not so popular in your parts.
I have a friend who loves those damn things and she's at the tender age of 65. Never noticed anyone else reading them, but then I wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
There have been five different models of Kindles. The original, which goes for about $25 on the bay; Kindle Keyboard, which added (as you guess) a keyboard; "Paperwhite" which had a higher res display but still only B&W; the Kindle Fire, the first color Kindle and first to be a real tablet computer; and the latest, Kindle Fire HD, which features a full 1920x1200 display with almost 9 inches diagonal.

There have been four different models of Nooks. The original was close to the original Kindle but is discontinued. The three models offered now are the Nook Simple Touch, a B&W model; the Nook HD, which competes with the Kindle HD; and the Nook HD+, which competes with the Kindle Fire HD with 1920x1280 resolution.

But people are also finding that they can use their regular tablet computers for books. You can download the Kindle App for iPad or Kindle App for Android (or, surprisingly, Kindle App for Nook - yes you read that correctly!) and merely read on your preferred tablet. With the iPad's super-crisp "retina" display, at a higher resolution than even the Kindle Fire HD, typography is great -- and the letters appear in more high-definition than they are on paper.

AND THAT IS ALL YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW TO SELL BOOKS TODAY.
I had an earlier edition Kindle until it fell victim to some strange cyber illness and refused to ever work again. We had some good times together for a while, at least. This past Christmas I got a Kindle Flame HD as a gift. That damn thing has been nothing but trouble. It works just well enough to allow me a glimpse of the cool things I could do with it if it worked properly. I need to just sit down do a little trouble shooting with it instead of wasting my time seeking out illegal parking spaces in Durango.

I like the way I can interact with an actual physical book or map. I also like stuff that I can do with Kindles, etc such as carrying around 300 books in my purse or pack. Pretty slick.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

just recommend anything with a zombie, vampire, or dragon on the cover. also scantily clad women are usually a sign of great literary works
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

in the whole historical horror drama steampunkish zombie ghost stories -

I cannot recommend Cherie Preist highly enough - she's just BRILLIANT
Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
just recommend anything with a zombie, vampire, or dragon on the cover. also scantily clad women are usually a sign of great literary works
You sure you're not a freshman at the local college, Sarge? The similar tastes in literature are down right uncanny!