Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #46
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

bruce

"I still think the corps are from where all evil flows. I know, hyperbolic."

'hyperbolic': an understatement. What you're sayin' is: given sufficent resources human beings will always screw over the other guy, the little. What you're sayin' is: I, Bruce, given the power, will screw over the other guy, the littie guy.

Don't know if I should admire or pity you.

#

"It would take a complete change of government style and that requires a new constitution."

Yes. Fortunately: we have a basic principle upon which to base such a document.

#

"I think if you proposed that, most people would stick with the devil they know."

You're right and that's a shame. As long as folks are (as you say) fat & happy, they'll accept any indignity, any degradation, as the price to pay for having that spare tire and that soma. Hunger & clarity would change their minds.

Last edited by henry quirk; 05-31-2019 at 06:44 PM.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM   #47
henry quirk

"Hunger & clarity would change their minds."

Actually, it wouldn't.

Domesticated animals don't rebel, even when they have reason to, even when they should, even when they can.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:19 PM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
"I still think the corps are from where all evil flows. I know, hyperbolic."

'hyperbolic': an understatement. What you're sayin' is: given sufficent resources human beings will always screw over the other guy, the little. What you're sayin' is: I, Bruce, given the power, will screw over the other guy, the littie guy.

Don't know if I should admire or pity you.
Nope, not what I'm saying, I've been there done that. Just a small business but bent over backward, and not just to look up skirts most of the time, but to be fair to the customer. Cost me a little money but no guilt or lost sleep or lost friends..

The man on the top floor making the big bucks used to be the leader of the companies direction. Today he/she must sit for a conference call every quarter with the Wall Street crowd, to explain if they made the prediction(promise) made last quarter. If not, why not, and what have they done to rectify that. If the brokers don't like what they hear they'll give the stock a lower rating which usually means a drop in price, and maybe a big drop in the value of the CEO's bundle of stock he/she's counting on for retirement.

It's not enough to go along making money, even if you're the top company in your field. Now there must be increases every damn quarter or the private equity jackals will start circling to see in your steady income could be a cash cow, or if your company could be broken up and sold off in pieces for Mo Money. It's easy to see why the CEOs who are not evil themselves are driven to desperate measures. Plus it could be the Board or primary stockholder buying politicians.

Quote:
"It would take a complete change of government style and that requires a new constitution."

Yes. Fortunately: we have a basic principle upon which to base such a document.
What document is that. I'll resisted jokes about the communist manifesto but I'm sure the Senator McCarthy wannabes would not.

Quote:
"I think if you proposed that, most people would stick with the devil they know."

You're right and that's a shame. As long as folks are (as you say) fat & happy, they'll accept any indignity, any degradation, as the price to pay for having that spare tire and that soma. Hunger & clarity would change their minds.
But give 'em a break, since they were puppies they've been fed a steady diet of Rah Rah America can do no wrong etc etc.
But Uncle Sam what are we doing?
Never mind that, national security you know, trust us, we know best, Colonel North is taking care of that.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #49
henry quirk

bruce

If you were a good player in business (large or small) then you must concede that other folks can be good players in business (large or small).

The document would be the new constitution based on the principle I mentioned.

And: no, no breaks are given. I'm an American and I want minarchy. I was exposed to the same bull manure, and I want the goddamn monkey 'off' my back. Them other folks, the ones who want a gorilla on their backs (on 'my' back), they can kiss my keister.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Certainly the heads of all size businesses can, even will, be good guys, at least while not under threat of going down the toilet. But there will always be that 10%? 5%? 1%? who will do dastardly deeds, tie Nell Fenwick to the railroad tracks, lie/cheat/steal, for an extra buck. That minority is always scheming and the reason for rules and regulations.

Mom: I told you not to get dirty, what are you doing in that mud puddle?
Kid: You didn't tell me not to get wet.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #51
henry quirk

bruce

"That minority is always scheming and the reason for rules and regulations."

Sure, a handful of sensible, minimal regs, not volumes of over-blown, nitpicky crap.

And: we've come full-circle.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Without nitpicky Johnny will be in the puddle in no time.
I like your simple rules but I think the plan falls apart at "enforceable" in that how do you say they did wrong if you don't tell them what wrong is?

Full circle but with the understanding of what our differences actually are.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #53
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
… And: we've come full-circle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Full circle but with the understanding of what our differences actually are.
I now pronounce you agonist and antagonist. May your lives be filled with bickering bliss over who is which.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #54
henry quirk

bruce

"Without nitpicky Johnny will be in the puddle in no time."

When mine used to play rules-lawyer (you said 'don't get dirty', you never said 'don't get wet') he got punished twice over (once for disobeying, and again for tryin' weasel out). He learned, with time, to not play rules-lawyer.

#

"I like your simple rules but I think the plan falls apart at "enforceable" in that how do you say they did wrong if you don't tell them what wrong is?"

'Mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself, or else' is pretty damn clear, Bruce.

#

"Full circle but with the understanding of what our differences actually are."

Oh, I didn't need to go 'round the block with you to know what our differences are.

##

Sex,

Seems pretty obvious: I'm the villain and Bruce is the victim.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #55
henry quirk

sumthin' to chew on

https://cei.org/10kc2019
Old 06-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No question the rules are ponderous, the question is are they necessary and why.

Here's 2 I found today...
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #57
henry quirk

The first cartoon shows an obvious violation of the only reg needed (mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself, or else).

The second is too ambiguous to understand (but no matter the actual circumstance, or anyone's interpretation, only one rule is required to judge it by).

Go ahead, show me an example where more than 'mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself, or else' is needed, and I'll kiss tw's keister.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The first one they're minding their own business, as a matter of fact that's exactly what they're doing, taking care of their business above all else.

But you win, I surrender, I wouldn't wish tw on... on... on Trump.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #59
henry quirk

"The first one they're minding their own business"

Sure, as long as they never move beyond talkin'. The second they actually begin poisoning they're not mindin' their own business, not keepin' their hands to themselves and so deserve a hearty helping of 'or else'.

#

"I wouldn't wish tw on... on... on Trump."

I ain't worried. There's not a soul here, or anywhere, who can foist up any example that doesn't fall cleanly and clearly into the sphere of MYOB/KYHTY/OE.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
There's not a soul here, or anywhere, who can foist up any example that doesn't fall cleanly and clearly into the sphere of MYOB/KYHTY/OE.
By your interpretation, but I'm sure your interpretation is not universally accepted, and certainly wouldn't hold up in any court where you weren't the judge.
I understand what you want it to encompase but the devil is in the details when it comes to application and enforcement.