The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #46
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
Well, Duh. You insulted a 3-year-old. A 3-year-old you've never met. Good for you, you must feel real tough.

Again with the insults aimed at a 3-year-old, one you've never met. Am I behaving maturely? Maybe, maybe not. But at least I know the difference.
No, my supposed "insults" were aimed at the 3-year old's parents. I thought you guys were such experts on parenting, but I guess not. In case you didn't know, kids that age respond directly to what's in their environment (i.e. anger, foul language, tension). And it sounds like there's some scary stuff going on in that poor kid's life. Not his fault, his PARENTS' fault.

OK, now I'm waiting for CASE to chime in. This is getting to be very predictable.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:01 PM   #47
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
No, my supposed "insults" were aimed at the 3-year old's parents.
Hey, whatever you say.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:02 PM   #48
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
Why don't you find someplace else to post where your interests more closely match the other posters? It seems that nearly every thread you voice your shrill opinion in turns into a trainwreck. Much of the time it seems obvious you're just trolling. Are you so starved for attention that any kind of attention is better than none at all?
My goodness that's a little hostile too. Calm down, Jane. It's just an internet forum, not world diplomacy. And I'll post wherever I feel like it, especially now that I know how much it irritates you all so much.

Quote:
I have to wonder - if you were seated on the patio of a restaurant, would a barking dog nearby cause you as much distress as a crying child? Or crows cawing? And who should take care of that to ensure your digestion isn't affected?
Stupid question, but not surprising. Would the dog barking bother me? Of course. Should the dog owner take his dog elsewhere where it does not disrupt others? Absolutely.

Quote:
Either live with it or stay home.
NO, sorry, I don't plan on letting other people's poorly behaved children ruin my social life. And from my experience, it's the ones with ill-mannered children who think it's their RIGHT to subject their kid's behavior on everyone else. Sound familiar?

Last edited by garnet; 09-28-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #49
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Too bad your parents can't just scoop you up and take you away. When you insult someone without qualification, you get slammed. Your assumptions about mine and perth's parenting abilities are pretty far fetched, considering you have only seen a few of my posts, and that is hardly enough to justify knowing what kind of person I am. It just so happens that I rarely post. And if I am a stranger on the internet, then you have no real basis for your judgement. You, on the other hand, have this habit of running your keys on everything you think you know about and irritating the crap out of most of us. Get off your self-righteous, PETA loving high horse and learn to deal with reality. Kids are going to scream sometimes. As jane said, you can't control it.

We should all be glad you choose not to have kids. To let the idiocy continue into another generation would be a travesty.

And BTW, my kid wasn't the one that was biting. Read posts carefully before posting. I know that is hard for you to do, but just humor us all, please.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #50
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Of course you can post anywhere you like. All I'm saying is you seem to make it a point to disagree with everyone here as often as you can. Maybe take up crocheting or something. Most of us find posting here, and the relationships we've formed with fellow posters, relaxing and fun. I can't imagine constant disagreement would be fulfilling or fun, and certainly not recreational.

You're the one who's being insulting now. I didn't ask a stupid question, and I'm sorry that you narrowly viewed it that way. I just wondered if every noise would be as offensive to you as a child.

If you're not allowing "poorly behaved children" to ruin your social life, what's your beef? And yes, if they bother you, and you're to avoid being bothered, staying home is your only option. On the other hand, if they don't bother you, you're yapping about something that doesn't affect you.

Though we're talking about someone else's kids, it sounds to me like this child is certainly not being exposed to anything "scary". Oh no! Family members have said bad words! Ooooh! Call Social Services, because certainly children cannot be exposed to naughty language, or their little ears will fall off and they'll become sociopaths. Tension! Egads, call a psychiatrist. Anger!! On my! Normal people never get angry.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:48 PM   #51
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
And BTW, my kid wasn't the one that was biting. Read posts carefully before posting. I know that is hard for you to do, but just humor us all, please.
Wait case, aren't you and perth the parents of the same child? Call me on it if I got it wrong, but apparently the child's father knows about his biting and you don't? Hmmmmm... Very interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
My son went through a brief biting stage, and when he did it I used my best angry daddy voice and told him "James, no biting ever! 5 minutes on your bottom.", which was indeed followed by him sitting on his butt with no toys, no juice, no fun, for 5 minutes. This tactic was also used by his mom and babysitter, and now it's not a problem. Well, mostly.

On rare occasion he does still bite me, mostly when we're pretending
Old 09-28-2004, 07:53 PM   #52
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
We should all be glad you choose not to have kids. To let the idiocy continue into another generation would be a travesty.
Hey, I may be an "idiot," but at least if I was a parent I would be paying enough attention to my child to know that he was BITING other people.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #53
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Of course you can post anywhere you like. All I'm saying is you seem to make it a point to disagree with everyone here as often as you can. Maybe take up crocheting or something. Most of us find posting here, and the relationships we've formed with fellow posters, relaxing and fun. I can't imagine constant disagreement would be fulfilling or fun, and certainly not recreational.
Now now...not all of Garnet's posts are contrary. There's some where the posts have been downright congenial and agreeable.
Quote:
You're the one who's being insulting now. I didn't ask a stupid question, and I'm sorry that you narrowly viewed it that way. I just wondered if every noise would be as offensive to you as a child.
It's possible that some people find a barking dog less annoying than a child. On a personal note, I simply abhor the sound of a crying baby or small child. It grates on my nerves. I'd rather have a barking dog near me than a screaming baby. If a child decides to throw a tantrum near me, there's little I can do about it. But that doesn't put me under any obligation to like or tolerate it. Sure, it's not my kid and it's none of my business how the parent disciplines. All I want is for the kid to stop crying and screaming. Soothe the kid, give him caramel to stick his teeth together, stuff his mouth with cotton...just get him quiet.
Quote:
If you're not allowing "poorly behaved children" to ruin your social life, what's your beef? And yes, if they bother you, and you're to avoid being bothered, staying home is your only option. On the other hand, if they don't bother you, you're yapping about something that doesn't affect you.
Staying home is hardly the only option. There's plenty of places people go where they just don't bring screaming babies. The trick is to find and frequent those places. And in other places, there's a noise policy and you can have the offending child and parent removed. Granted, some places are just more likely to have Kid Issues and there's little one can do about it.
Quote:
Though we're talking about someone else's kids, it sounds to me like this child is certainly not being exposed to anything "scary". Oh no! Family members have said bad words! Ooooh! Call Social Services, because certainly children cannot be exposed to naughty language, or their little ears will fall off and they'll become sociopaths. Tension! Egads, call a psychiatrist. Anger!! On my! Normal people never get angry.
I had a pretty clean and normal upbringing, so of course I grew up to be a little angel! ...oh, I mean...

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:18 PM   #54
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Awww, now. I have to respectfully disagree, CW. I didn't say ALL her posts were contrary and assholish. What I said was she seems to disagree as often as she can. Think of it in terms of "all you can eat" vs. "all it is possible to eat". Everyone has to give it a rest occasionally.

And I agree, it's possible that some folks might find a screeching kid more annoying than a barking dog. Humans are hardwired to respond to a crying baby; that's how they get attention and thus survive. It wouldn't do much good to have a soothing, low-toned chime go off when a baby needs something. It's also possible that some people find a grown adult who's supposed to have some sense bitching about children making noise, which is what their supposed to do, extremely irritating.

It's not possible to avoid children unless you stay home - that is a fact. You're going to see brats sometimes outside when you're getting into the car, when you're in the grocery store, at the bank, at 99% of other places we all have to go. Like I said about the stinky guy, the tacky dressers, and other people I find distasteful, it's impossible to avoid. Sure, you can go to the bar and not see them while you're there, but that doesn't mean you won't have to stand in line behind them and their parents at the ATM before you get there. They're everywhere, unless you're a hermit with home food delivery who never requires medical treatment, you're going to be "exposed" to them.

Last edited by jane_says; 09-28-2004 at 08:20 PM. Reason: fixed typo
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 PM   #55
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
It's not possible to avoid children unless you stay home - that is a fact.
I dunno...unless I have really super child-avoiding luck, it's possible. It's not very often I get into a situation where there's a screaming child and I'm out and about as much as the next person. The only times I run into kids screaming unattended or (in my opinion) poorly-attended are in open places where a lower noise level isn't encouraged...like a grocery store. In my local library on the other hand, kids are promptly taken out or asked to be removed from the building. I rarely see small children brought into banks and when they are they're quiet or they're better encouraged to hush than they'd be in a grocery store. Maybe I just have some kind of luck avoiding the Crying Child. Maybe some people have a better time of it than others.

Sure, the human animal is hardwired to respond to a crying child, but it still doesn't mean I have to like it or want to hear it. Humans are hardwired to simply have children, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like the idea. I probably should have added that I have little problem with a crying child if it's a relative of mine or the child of a friend. I'm sure if I have a child, its cries won't bother me so much either. Or, if it's a crying child because he's lost or abandoned, I can put my pet peeve aside. It's the strange children that get on my nerves.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens

Last edited by Cyber Wolf; 09-28-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:30 AM   #56
garnet

Quote:
I didn't say ALL her posts were contrary and assholish. What I said was she seems to disagree as often as she can.
Well, technically, if, like you say, I try to disagree as often as possible, I'm sure I could find something to disagree about in every single post on this forum. If you'd read any of my other posts before ripping my head off, you would have logically come to that conclusion as well. And BTW, people (like you) tend to complain about traits in others that they see in themselves that really bother them. I've noticed your posts often tend to be hostile, biting and just plain rude in some cases, but do I choose to single you out and whine about it? No, I just ignore your silly posts. Like I will do in the future.

Quote:
It's not possible to avoid children unless you stay home - that is a fact.
Uhhh, wrong again. In fact, I had a lovely dinner out with my boyfriend on Saturday night. We went to a nice restaurant, and there was not a child in the place. Would I have minded if there was? No, not if they were behaving themselves. We are leaving for vacation on Saturday to the Caribbean, at an adults-only resort. Will there be children there? Of course not. So I'll go about my life, and you can go about yours, changing poopy diapers and listening to the screeching of children, the sound you seem to love so much. I'll have a nice frosty tropical drink on the beach for you. Maybe two.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:32 AM   #57
garnet

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
It's possible that some people find a barking dog less annoying than a child. On a personal note, I simply abhor the sound of a crying baby or small child. It grates on my nerves. I'd rather have a barking dog near me than a screaming baby. If a child decides to throw a tantrum near me, there's little I can do about it. But that doesn't put me under any obligation to like or tolerate it. Sure, it's not my kid and it's none of my business how the parent disciplines. All I want is for the kid to stop crying and screaming. Soothe the kid, give him caramel to stick his teeth together, stuff his mouth with cotton...just get him quiet.
Agreed, and well said, CW.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #58
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
... If you'd read any of my other posts before ripping my head off,
take your own advice, and read and understand whose posting what before you pipe up there, lassie. MY kid's the one's who's biting, and frankly, case and perth sound like EXCELLENT parents to me, from the limited amount i've been exposed to them here in the last couple years. <-- not a typo. it's a good thing you aren't having kids yet, because it seems to me you need to develop your sense of patience, understanding, and ability to see things from other peoples points of view a whole lot more yet before you procreate.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #59
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
take your own advice, and read and understand whose posting what before you pipe up there, lassie. MY kid's the one's who's biting
Actually, it's YOU that needs to go back and read the posts. Perth also mentioned in this thread that his son bites, too. If you would like me to post a link to that, I'd be happy to do so. Please be more careful before you start slingin' the mud, OK, honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
it's a good thing you aren't having kids yet, because it seems to me you need to develop your sense of patience, understanding, and ability to see things from other peoples points of view a whole lot more yet before you procreate.
Don't worry, I won't be doing any procreating--I'll leave that up to the "experts" like you. Funny, it's the parents who posted here that immediately flipped out and started swearing and name-calling. To me, that spells a lack of patience and and anger issues. Are the kids wearing you guys a little thin, maybe? Maybe that's something to think about.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #60
perth
Strong Silent Type

How is it going Labrat? Have you found things getting better? Tried anything different?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote