The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/22/2005: Bloody animal sacrifice

It's framed with some sort of metal fence decoration, but what we're seeing here is animal sacrifice in Pakistan, observing the first day of the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha. The caption says the religious celebration marks Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son in a show of obedience to God.

Foul!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Everytime I think I may be falling for the whole islam is a religion of peace, islam is this, islam is that I get handed big glass of wake the fuck up.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
404Error
Lecturer

Not to condone such a gruesome display, but if you read about Eid-Al-Adha, you find at least they actually eat the animals they're killing here.

Quote:
Because God spared Ishmael, substituting a sheep in his stead, Muslims commemorate this occasion by slaughtering an animal and distributing its meat among family, friends and the needy as a special act of charity for the occasion. Because of this, many poor Muslims are able to enjoy the unusual luxury of eating meat during the four days of the festival.
Still pretty disgusting though.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Relisnhoj
Ender of Vendors

As long as they actually eat the meat I don't have a problem with it...I think. I agree that it is pretty gruesome looking, but I’ve seen the insides of a meal locker, it’s much, much worse than this. Anyone know how the animals are “sacrificed”? If they are chased around the square and beaten to death with clubs, then yeah, major problem, and I don't care if it's dinner or not. Besides that, you should be nice to your dinner, no one wants the ghost of a dead cow haunting your stomach while you digest it's body, I don't want to know what kind of cramps that would cause.
"The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
~Frank Zappa
Relisnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The ghosts of dead cows are often in your stomach, no matter how they are slaughtered.

Depending on your relationship with the dead cow's ghost, you get either farts or explosive diarrhea.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I have real big issues with the whole Abraham thing. I think Abraham was, to put it mildly, a freaking weird-o who did things that he'd be locked up for if he did them today (example: most people agree that a man who performs home-surgery or "modifications" on his own penis needs professional help) and his God seems particularly brutal. I've always hated the story of Abraham leading his innocent son (and, BTW, there is controversy about which son it was. Was it Sarah's son, Isaac, or Hagar's son, Ishmael? Big controversy over that!) to slaughter. Disgusting, even as an allegory. No wonder I reject Christianity in particular and the Abrahamic faiths in general.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Relisnhoj
Ender of Vendors

You know, it's conversations like this that convince ignorant people to become vegitarians, and condemn us meat eaters. I have a friend who is a rancher, thousands of acres of lands, even more cattle, and his daughter is a vegetarian. I don't get it.
"The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
~Frank Zappa
Relisnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Everytime I think I may be falling for the whole islam is a religion of peace, islam is this, islam is that I get handed big glass of wake the fuck up.
I couldn't have said it as good; let alone better......Well put!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #9
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

(example: most people agree that a man who performs home-surgery or "modifications" on his own penis needs professional help)

Modifications? I'm interested. heehee......
Right about needing professional help, too. One should NEVER attempt an operation like this alone................
Old 01-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Blood pudding.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:49 PM   #11
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I was thinking: how do they intend to clean this mess up?
Oh well- no problem:
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:55 AM   #13
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Everytime I think I may be falling for the whole islam is a religion of peace...
Whew, that was close!
Old 01-23-2005, 01:19 AM   #14
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Whew, that was close!
You're telling me bub. At least our zealots have limited their killing to children and abortion doctors.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:10 AM   #15
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

if you think this says something about Islam, go up to Greeley, CO sometime and see how our Fast Food Nation does the whole slaughter thing. Mmmm, pools of cowshit...
wah is offline   Reply With Quote