The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

MSNBC 'Our Version Of Fox'

Bill Clinton: MSNBC 'Has Become Our Version Of Fox'
Quote:
Bill Clinton had some sharp words for MSNBC in a just-released interview with Esquire.

The former president was speaking to the magazine about "things we can agree on" in a polarized time,
and he cited the network as one of the culprits when his interviewer asked, "why does the politics seem
so much more caustic now than even [when you were president]?"

Clinton said he thought that "the diffusion of the media has complicated things."
He then used MSNBC as an example of this.

"I was just watching MSNBC, and they had a woman that used to work for me and a couple of other people,
and they were talking about the Republican primary," he said. "And I was laughing.
I said, 'Boy, it really has become our version of Fox.'"

Clinton chalked this up to what he called "the economics" of cable news, which he said made it possible for companies
to target a niche audience and still make a profit.
I agree with him. I thought that after the Olbermann firing things might turn a bit, but then they hired Sharpton.
Quote:
His comparison is sure to rankle people on MSNBC, who consistently reject the notion
that they are the Democratic-leaning version of Fox News.
Recently, the network's most prominent voice, Rachel Maddow, discussed this idea with Slate.
"There may be liberals on TV at MSNBC, but the network is not operating with a political objective,
whereas Fox is operating with a political objective to elect Republican candidates."
MAY BE???
Chris Matthews, Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell'. Yeh, they may be liberals.

No political objective? Spare me. I'd need a truck to haul that load of shit.

ETA - forgot the link

Last edited by classicman; 02-24-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: forgot the link
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
SamIam

No question MSNBC goes overboard in the other direction. But maybe its a good thing to have a counter weight to Fox. I dunno.

I prefer watching Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report. At least they don't take themselves quite so seriously and make me laugh.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Ibby
erika

Lean Forward, baby.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
No question MSNBC goes overboard in the other direction. But maybe its a good thing to have a counter weight to Fox. I dunno.

I prefer watching Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report. At least they don't take themselves quite so seriously and make me laugh.
At least these guys don't lie, they tell you up front that they are comedy.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
they are both very left-oriented, but sensible enough to be closer to the center: i can say that even though i am a libertarian, and even though if i lived in the US i would probably vote republican (as the lesser evil), and i disagree with john stewart on many many issues, i am still capable of enjoying his show.

btw if i remember right, in a fact-check website the daily show ranks about the same and sometimes even bellow fox news in terms of credibility, so i wouldn't relay on him as a main source of information for anything i really cared about, or MSNBC or FOX for that matter... and CNN sucks...

and if you look at other international news sources, well, i have seen in my own eyes the BBC and France4 outright lie people - which i happened to know because they where transelating hebrew speakers and completely lied and contradicted what they actually said in the subtitles... that's not misguiding information, that's not suggestive commentary, that's blunt factual lies. so there's no telling how many times they lie when i am not lucky enough to know the language...

and in israeli news they are the same as america - you have extreme leftists shouting against the government and an extreme right shouting patriotic slogans and telling us what to shake with fear from today... and then you have that one 'special' news source that does specials about that one heroic woman who saved an elderly man from choking on cereal rather then anything about politics...

so really, where do you go these day?
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

To me, the main difference between Fox and MSNBC is when Fox gives an opinion, they don't back it up. They just tell you to believe them because they say so. And they tell you it's the only one that makes sense and if you don't believe them, you are an idiot.

On MSNBC, they will give you an opinion and at least show you the reasons why they have that opinion. And if they have a guest on their shows, most (not all) will allow them to state their view without calling them un-American.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
MAY BE???
Chris Matthews, Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell'. Yeh, they may be liberals.
It's not "they may be liberals", it's "they may be on MSNBC". She's just not sure about that.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Actually it's "There may be liberals on TV at MSNBC"
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Who says MSNBC is polarized ?

MSNBC
Denise Chow
2/29/12

Moon's 'earthshine' may help the search for alien life
Quote:
Studying reflected light, using giant lunar 'mirror,' works on Earth, and maybe in universe
Astronomers have managed to detect the telltale fingerprints of organic life on Earth
using a new technique that examines sunlight reflected onto the moon by our planet.<snip>

Earthshine observations have been done before,
but Sterzik and his colleagues took it one step further,
and developed a new approach to take into account the polarization of the light,
which enabled them to make more detailed and sensitive measurements.
The so-called "earthshine" observations may pave the way for a similar tool
to help spot signs of alien life in the universe, scientists say.
Of course, they could have just looked through the other end of the telescope.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Ibby
erika

Today's Lean Forward ads are re-texted Leap Forward for, i assume, leap day today. I approve.