FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #346
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
So how many of us has he accused of being trolls now? lol

Pretty soon he'll have no one to talk to.
he's one to talk about trolls, right?
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #347
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
There are plenty of poor people who are smart, but they couldn't escape the trap of poverty (and it is a trap, for many people, no matter how hard they try to get out).

Not all people who succeed do so because they are intelligent. Many of them succeed because they are corrupt, unethical, and immoral, and they prey on people.

As far as, how far should society go to support poor people, I think as long as we keep making rules and laws that only apply to certain segments of society or are applied differently to rich people, then it is our obligation as a society to take care of the people who don't have a chance. Personally, I really believe there is no reason why we can't end poverty. The problem is greed. Some people just think they entitled to more than others. I think it is really obscene that in a so called "civilized" society, one man could have many billions of dollars while there are people starving and living in cars. It's just, wrong.
[Edit out serious answer]

Shut up, hippie.

TGRR,
Getting into the swing of things.

Last edited by TGRR; 03-02-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Previous misunderstanding of rules.
TGRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #348
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
he's one to talk about trolls, right?
Yeah, I gave a serious answer to her hilariously callous post.

I am a troll, obviously. I think I have this place figured out. Forget anything resembling an actual answer, ad hominem attack like an airhead when backed into a corner, and then make appeal to ridicule arguments.

I think I'm going to like this place, now that I understand the rules.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #349
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
There are plenty of poor people who are smart, but they couldn't escape the trap of poverty (and it is a trap, for many people, no matter how hard they try to get out).

Not all people who succeed do so because they are intelligent. Many of them succeed because they are corrupt, unethical, and immoral, and they prey on people.

As far as, how far should society go to support poor people, I think as long as we keep making rules and laws that only apply to certain segments of society or are applied differently to rich people, then it is our obligation as a society to take care of the people who don't have a chance. Personally, I really believe there is no reason why we can't end poverty. The problem is greed. Some people just think they entitled to more than others. I think it is really obscene that in a so called "civilized" society, one man could have many billions of dollars while there are people starving and living in cars. It's just, wrong.
So do you not agree that there is a segment of society who live poorly because they've made bad decision - sometimes by way of stupidity - or simply because they don't try very hard to improve their lot in life?

While I agree that in some ways and from some perspectives, the distribution of wealth is inequitable, I just can't help but open my eyes to the fact that a lot of poor people needn't be poor.

Take Australia for example. There's really no reason why anyone should live below the poverty line considering we have a pretty good welfare system in place, and yet somehow there are people who can't get their shit together enough to use the help that's available to them.* I'm not saying our system is perfect, but it's a pretty good safety net for those who choose to take advantage of it.

*Issues of mental health come into this point, along with alcoholism and other addictive behaviours. Those are social problems which I believe we are all responsible for in some ways, but not all.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #350
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
Yeah, I gave a serious answer to her hilariously callous post.

I am a troll, obviously. I think I have this place figured out. Forget anything resembling an actual answer, ad hominem attack like an airhead when backed into a corner, and then make appeal to ridicule arguments.

I think I'm going to like this place, now that I understand the rules.
If you think you had me even close to backed into a corner you're deluding yourself.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #351
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
This message is hidden because Aliantha is on your ignore list.
Assuming you were talking to me, I hope you didn't waste too much time on it.

Also, you have a seriously ugly haircut, so your argument is invalid.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #352
Aliantha

lol...nope, didn't waste much time at all. You're entertaining me and everyone else now.

You'd really do better to pop off to bed instead.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #353
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Seriously. Is that a Liza Minelli wig?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #354
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
Seriously. Is that a Liza Minelli wig?
Seriously. Is that the best you can do? Talk about childish. lol Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #355
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Mumble, mumble. Speak up. I can't hear you over that ignore thingie.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #356
Aliantha

lol...stop answering then. Just fuck off instead.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #357
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
So do you not agree that there is a segment of society who live poorly because they've made bad decision - sometimes by way of stupidity - or simply because they don't try very hard to improve their lot in life?

While I agree that in some ways and from some perspectives, the distribution of wealth is inequitable, I just can't help but open my eyes to the fact that a lot of poor people needn't be poor.

Take Australia for example. There's really no reason why anyone should live below the poverty line considering we have a pretty good welfare system in place, and yet somehow there are people who can't get their shit together enough to use the help that's available to them.* I'm not saying our system is perfect, but it's a pretty good safety net for those who choose to take advantage of it.

*Issues of mental health come into this point, along with alcoholism and other addictive behaviours. Those are social problems which I believe we are all responsible for in some ways, but not all.
Well see, I would say addictive behaviors are personal responsibilty. yes, addictions are real, it is a real disease. And some people really do have serious problems dealing with their addictions. I know, I was sober for over 15 years. Now I drink wine and beer, but I rarely have more than 1 or 2 at a time. I couldn't have done that years ago when I got sober, but now I can, because I've learned how to curb that impulse.

The mental health system in this country is horrible. Reagan deregulated the system when he was president, and a whole lot of people ended up on the street. It is almost impossible to help someone who doesn't think they need help (and when do they ever?), unless they are an obvious danger. Hell, that guy in VA a few years ago who shot a whole bunch of people at a University had been on the radar for YEARS. People knew he was dangerous, yet he was still out in public and managed to buy a gun and ammunition. He should have been locked away and on medication.

You are lucky because Australia also has a pretty damn good health care system, from what I've heard and read. Here, health insurance has become so friggin' expensive many, many people can't afford it, and while we do have medicaid for poor people, many doctors won't take medicaid. I believe those costs have contributed to the cycle of poverty. Everything is connected.

The education system here sucks for poor people. It really is not equal in any sense. That contributes a LOT to poverty. And violence. There is a lot of violence and crime in poor neighborhoods. That also contributes to the cycle. Can people overcome that? Yes, but it is really unrealistic to think that all or most or even many poor people could overcome poverty in the system we have in place here. There just aren't enough jobs that pay well, and college is getting more expensive. And many skilled labor jobs now go to illegals, not Americans or legal immigrants, because they work for a lot less and don't complain, because they are illegal. In fact, that is happening now in white collar jobs as well. And the pay is getting worse for most people, unless you happen to be at the top.

Some people do work their ass off, and are good workers, but still have to work more than one job just to survive. It's obscene that a corporation can lay people off and cut benefits of other workers while paying lavish salaries and bonuses to the people at the top, even while losing money. That is happening more and more in this country. And in Australia, I have to wonder what the difference is in compensation rates. "American executive compensation rates are quite different from those of the rest of the developed world. In Japan a typical executive makes eleven times what a typical worker brings home; in Britain, 22 times. In America," it is almost 500 times, probably more now, because the link is from 2006. http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/executivepay.html (click on the icon of facts and figures.)

Do some people make stupid decisions and end up in bad situations? Yes. Look at what happened with the housing market here. Do rich pricks cause more damage than people making stupid mistakes? Yes, look at the world economy.

I would ask you to read Jonathan Kozol to better understand how it really works in this country. Here are links to information about him and his books: http://www.learntoquestion.com/seeva...E/homepage.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonath...l_b_63622.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Kozol
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #358
Aliantha

I guess it's true that things are very differen't in Aus than in the US. for one thing, our minimum wages are a lot higher here, and from what I can tell, are regulated by governments and unions far more stringently. Some US citizens have accused me of living in a nanny state because of these sorts of (what I see as) benefits.

It's all a matter of perspective. Probably hard to compare Australia and the US in any case.

Truce?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #359
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Class warfare, your answers to the worlds ills will not be found here.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #360
Dr Livingstoned
Questionist

Egad! An Antipodean!

Probably an escaped convict living off the land. Hangings too good for 'em I say.

Toodle pip!

Dr Livingstoned is offline   Reply With Quote