The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #166
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
cite please.
Read the thread Sugar - you have brought the Tesla up a dozen times and their claims rebuked by a number of posters.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #167
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Read the thread Sugar - you have brought the Tesla up a dozen times and their claims rebuked by a number of posters.
Claims rebuked? Hardly. However some of what Telsa claims is not always accurately grasped by a public that also so easily *knew* Saddam had WMDs.

Numerous concepts are limiting - starting with three thermodynamic laws.

One fact so often forgotten - there is no replacement for our basic energy sources. Even Telsa is only about doing more with less. Just another attempt to solve a fundamental problem that will remain if we don't address it: ten gallons of gasoline; but less than two gallons does any productive work.

The electric car is not about new energy sources. It is about increasing thermodynamic efficiencies. Even every alternative energy source is about efficiencies that must increase to become viable. Telsa is simply another attempt to improve a part of an 'energy consumption' chain.

Even VCRs could not be sold for less than $20,000. Then the technology was sold to a company that wanted to innovate rather than reap fast profits.

There is no magic bullet in Telsa. But Telsa is part of a multidimensional solution that was all but completely subverted in America for most of the last ten years.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #168
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
non-stop slobbering on the messiah? Clearly you have me confused with someone else...
Frankly, m'dear, no he doesn't. You sound like this textbook example of someone with leftist opinions only -- a stereotype Secular-Progressive, completely politically correct, and completely unversed in the merits of competing views. Thus you believe you are both right and moral. There are those of us who aren't so sure of either.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #169
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Thus you believe you are both right and moral. There are those of us who aren't so sure of either.
About Sugar, or about yourself?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #170
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
People keep saying electric cars aren't viable, but NO ONE has offered any proof that they aren't. the Tesla is a perfect example of how wrong these people are. Show me any kind of proof that the Tesla isn't everything they claim it to be. I have seen NONE.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #171
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Frankly, m'dear, no he doesn't. You sound like this textbook example of someone with leftist opinions only -- a stereotype Secular-Progressive, completely politically correct, and completely unversed in the merits of competing views. Thus you believe you are both right and moral. There are those of us who aren't so sure of either.
You sir, are the one who believes without a doubt that you are always right and on the side of good, as defined by your religious beliefs. Your attitude against anyone with leftist ideals is that you are the smarter one and they the lowly idiot. But... you are sadly misguided.

I am not always politically correct. I think we have gone way overboard with the political correctness. It's downright silly sometimes. That doesn't mean I think we should go back to the way we were before, because I don't. Some sensitivity is necessary when trying look at all sides of a situation. Empathy is important. Understanding is important. That doesn't mean it should rule out common sense. You on the right seem to think common courtesy is stupid, and manners are a bad thing, but they are not.

I have had my mind changed before numerous times, on issues I believed in deeply, because I had an open mind and I was willing to listen to another point of view. I cannot imagine you ever changing your mind about anything, especially when confronted by someone on the left.

And ftr, I have voted for republicans, democrats, and independents, even though I fall far on the left side of the political spectrum, so please don't try to figure out my political tendencies, because your brain would explode; it doesn't have the complexity to look objectively at two opposing views, and see where both are right, and both are wrong.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #172
atrw93
Questionist

Re: CO2 Emissions:

All who believe that CO2 emmisions are dangerous and should be
eliminated, are you suggesting that we should eliminate the human
race? After all humans do emit a lot of CO2.

With respect to thermal pollutions Al Gore will not attack the worse
source of thermal pollution - air conditioning (and his Tennessee mansion
is assumed to be ACed. Just check the atmospheric heat budget changes
of any major city in the lower 48 and HI over the last 70 years.

Cheers, Al
atrw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #173
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrw93 View Post
are you suggesting that we should eliminate the human race? After all humans do emit a lot of CO2.
If we kill you off, then global warming will be solved. After all, your numbers prove it.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #174
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrw93 View Post
Re: CO2 Emissions:

All who believe that CO2 emmisions are dangerous and should be
eliminated, are you suggesting that we should eliminate the human
race? After all humans do emit a lot of CO2.

With respect to thermal pollutions Al Gore will not attack the worse
source of thermal pollution - air conditioning (and his Tennessee mansion
is assumed to be ACed. Just check the atmospheric heat budget changes
of any major city in the lower 48 and HI over the last 70 years.

Cheers, Al
There are two different types of carbon cycles, a micro and a macro. The Micro carbon cycle involves all living organisms. Animals breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide. Plants take in carbon dioxide and then release it when they die. This cycle fluctuates every year.

The macro carbon cycle is the cycle where carbon dioxide get trapped in the bottom of the ocean and gets pushed underground where it is either converted into coal or oil or gets shot back up by a volcano. This cycle takes hundreds of thousands or even millions of years to fluctuate.

The reason burning coal and oil is dangerous is because we are taking the carbon cycle out of equilibrium and by doing that, consequences regarding the climate will follow. Climate change does happen naturally but by changing the carbon cycle, we are causing throwing other variables in there that are not usually counted for.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #175
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
You sir, are the one who believes without a doubt that you are always right and on the side of good, as defined by your religious beliefs. Your attitude against anyone with leftist ideals is that you are the smarter one and they the lowly idiot. But... you are sadly misguided.
Looking at the kind of thing presented by those loudest in opposition to me, I'd say I'm not misguided one bit. Nor can you actually show misguidedness, sad or happy, on my part. Just saying is not proving.

Quote:
I am not always politically correct. I think we have gone way overboard with the political correctness. It's downright silly sometimes. That doesn't mean I think we should go back to the way we were before, because I don't.
Worthy. And PC is even worse than "silly sometimes." It's a tyranny of non-think, a tyranny over the minds of men. Like all tyrannies, it should be abolished.

Quote:
You on the right seem to think common courtesy is stupid, and manners are a bad thing, but they are not.
This attitude is to be found only among the Wrong Right, not the conservatives, who hang onto their manners pretty well, even in the face of routine provocation from the immature sorts that make up the Left.

Quote:
I have had my mind changed before numerous times, on issues I believed in deeply, because I had an open mind and I was willing to listen to another point of view. I cannot imagine you ever changing your mind about anything, especially when confronted by someone on the left.
Then you're not doing all that well at it, are you? I once was antigun, particularly anti-handgun. I'm not, now.

I do have a good understanding of those permanent things that are good. You are trying, as several here have to nil result, to find evil where it is not -- in the heart of Urbane Guerrilla.

Quote:
. . . so please don't try to figure out my political tendencies, because your brain would explode; it doesn't have the complexity to look objectively at two opposing views, and see where both are right, and both are wrong.
M'dear, you are sadly misguided here: you cannot explode my brain, however hard you may try. I am probably more objective than you are: I've seen more of it. I can figure you out and I routinely do. When I catch you doing something good, I'll mention it; same goes for doing something bad. I can tell genuine sophistication from the specious, and grounding in the good from grounding in the bad.

Having looked over the Left for a couple of decades, and compared them with the Right -- yeah, the Left is mostly full of shit.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #176
DanaC

So it is spoken, so it must be true.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #177
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Only if he says it Three Times.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #178
DanaC

I think he's said it rather more than three times already.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #179
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

LOL. touche'.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #180
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Ohhhh SNAP!