The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #31
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Still can't top the all time worst trade ever. Giants trade Liriano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bosner to the Twins for Pierzynski. Ouch.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #32
Griff
still says videotape

At this time, I would like to take back any and all anti-A-Rod cracks I have made. Wow just wow.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #33
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's only April 20th...you'll be complaining about him again soon I'm sure.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #34
Hyoi
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah View Post
Still can't top the all time worst trade ever. Giants trade Liriano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bosner to the Twins for Pierzynski. Ouch.
Jeb, I can't help but think that my idiots are bigger idiots than your idiots. This is but one example:

"Little Joe" Morgan, Hall of Fame second baseman:

November 1, 1962: Signed by the Houston Colt .45's as an amateur free agent; November 29, 1971: Traded by the Houston Astros with Ed Armbrister, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo, and Denis Menke to the Cincinnati Reds for Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Jimmy Stewart

Painfully stupid.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #35
Hyoi
Faithful Companion

Jason Hirsh update (Denver Post, 22 April 2007)

With a daunting trip to the Big Apple staring them in the face and an ugly, three-game losing streak sitting heavy on their shoulders, the Rockies needed a special performance Sunday afternoon.
Rookie pitcher Jason Hirsh gave it to them. The rookie right-hander out-Madduxed Greg Maddux for the second time this season as the Rockies beat the San Diego Padres 4-2 at Coors Field.
Creatively mixing his fastball, curve and changeup, Hirsh allowed two earned runs on just four hits in seven innings. Hirsh struck out seven and walked two, improving to 2-1 and whittling his ERA to 3.16. "Tip your hat to the other guy," said Maddux, the four-time Cy Young winner.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #36
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I fully believe the pink bats were corked.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah View Post
I fully believe the pink bats were corked.
I don't know, it didn't help the Yankees temporary power shortage.

One thing I like about the Yankees is entertaining nonsense like the Roger episode when things are not going well on the field. Unfortunately, for once the Yanks have about three excellent young arms that should be getting more major league work and Roger is gonna take a spot. Of course, all the old guys could be broken down by the end of next week. *shrug* Boston is unbelievable right now. Will they stay healthy?
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 AM   #38
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

We went to the Mariners - Yankees game on Saturday. We had the **BEST** seats ever. Ever. Second row behind the Mariners first base dugout. I was closer to the left handed batters than the pitcher was. It was awesome! MrsV scored the company tickets, and it was glorious. Of course, Hargrove is having a little trouble with the bullpen phone and so when our starter began throwing bp for the Yankees, he didn't rescue him until seven freakin runs were across the plate in the inning. Soured me on the game, but the seats were de-luxe. Honestly. Actually padded seats. omg.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 AM   #39
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P View Post
I think the Cubs have a pretty good shot at winning their pennant.
In the East the Mets will have an even easier year than last.
The Dodgers are kinda iffy, but still, you'd have to like them over the other teams in the division.
Watch for Clevland this year to have its nose in front in the American central, despite Detroit, Minnesota and the white sox looking so strong. The east is always interesting, Yankees, boston and Toronto will be tighter this year than last, with Toronto this year putting in a serious challenge.
I'm an Angels fan, and I have to say that the team is world series material.
Personally, i will go to at least 20 games this year, mostly early in the season.

I still think the Chicago Cubs will win their division.
The Brewers, although off to a good start are not half the team that the cubs are this year, you can't forget last year they started the year without lee and ramirez due to injury, this year they're fine.
The addition of Soriano is huge, add to that the great pitching staff they've got, you have to see them as contenders in the NL alongside the Mets.

Sure the line-ups of the braves and the phillies are good,
but they cannot compare to that of the New York Mets.
Reyes is off to a record breaking start in stolen bases and is easily the greatest in baseball. Just wait for Beltran, Wright and Delgado to start swinging the bat and the Mets will run away with it.

Obviously the Los Angelos Dodgers are the best team in their division.
Their pitching and line-up are just a class above the rest.
Arizona looks like the #2 contender. The Padres line-up is amongst the worst in all baseball for them to even contemplate competing for it. they may even be surpased by the Giants who suprisingly are not as bad as last year. Colorado on the other hand probably remove KC from the pit of the MLB.

The Clevland Indians are proving me right as they we're ranked 4th in their division and yet seem to be the easy favorites to win their pennant.
The line-up is on fire and does not look like cooling off anytime soon.
Verlander and the tigers will have another year in the spotlight
and will fight with the white-sox for 2nd place.
Poor Minnesota without Liriano and now with Mauer on the DL look pretty bad. Next year maybe.

It looked like a tight one between Boston Toronto and the Yankees, but sometimes things change during the year. Toronto lost their Closer Ryan, and now have Halladay on the DL, looks like they'll be out of this race. Boston looked like the clear favorite until the Yankees picked up Clemens. Mussina, Pettite and Roger are not bad at all when you've got the line-up that New York's got.
IMO, it won't matter who wins it, they'll both make it past the regualr season 1st and 2nd. So who cares?

My Los Angelos Angels suprisingly are only 2 games up on Seattle so far.
I thought they would have run away with it.
Ichiro is starting to pick it up , and the Mariners pitching staff is actually looking decent, not to mention their closer Putz who has picked up exatly where he left off last year(elite RP).
Oakland's bats are just getting worse, and now with Street on the DL, Oakland cannot close out their 1 run leads anymore. Watchout, texas may steal third with their amazing line-up.

The world series?
New York Mets or Chicago Cubs
............................VS...........................
Los Angelos Angels or Clevland Indians
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #40
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I hope you're right about the Brewers.

I hate Brewer fans...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #41
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I hope you're right about the Brewers.

I hate Brewer fans...
As a fan, I actually favour the Brewers over the cubs, but they way the division looks today is a false reality.
Barring injury, the Cubs will run away with it once they catch up.
I think it'll be sooner than later.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #42
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Figured I'd resurrect the thread following the passing of the trade deadline - the NEW Midsummer Classic.

What's your thoughts? Happy with the moves your team made? Pissed? Think they should have stayed pat or made a move at all? Who should get the Xavier Nady Memorial "Poor Bastard" fruit basket? Can the Yankees still see first place in the AL East with the help of a magnifying glass, or are they past even that?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #43
Griff
still says videotape

I'm glad the Yankees didn't lose Melky Cabrera for a short term bull pen fix. They have a ton of AAA pitching talent and we'll see them now. They are also getting younger, I was hoping they'd move Giambi because the offense is better with the youngsters in. That said, Boston is a lot stronger with Gagne in the pen. I still think the Red Sox are beatable... that's why they play the games. I wonder if Gagne will stay happy as a set-up/ occasional closer.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #44
W.HI.P
Free

Boston is more than just beatable. They're not much at all.
Gagne was obtained so that Papelbon could eventually become a starter. Okajima is good enough to close in his place, but the red sox's bullpen kinda sucks beyond that. The teams got a couple good bats, but the rest is less than mediocre. The yankees are by far a better team, but still not good enough to win the American league. There are a few teams that are easily superior from the two mentioned above.
The main reason the Yankees are where they are now is their catcher Posada who is the leader of the team when they're up at bat, but even more so when they're pitching. He has surpassed Mauer and Martinez this year in the catcher position on every level.
Plus, the man has the true yankee spirit. Kinda like what Shockey is to the Giants.
Texeira was a huge trade, but i don't believe it will help the braves this year ...the Mets are too good.

All this is nil compared to the Boston/Garnett trade in the NBA.
Can you imagine Pierce and Garnett on the same team? What a defence!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #45
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cardinals have won 5 of their last 6, including a 4-game sweep of Milwaukee. I don't want to get too hyped, but they're only 6 out in a very crappy division. We'll see...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote