The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #16
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Find your favorite HP laserjet printer in the office with one of those LCD displays that says "READY". I think this one only works on HP4 or 5s and up. Find the IP address it is attached to the network with and telnet to that address, port 9100, and send the following string:

←%-12345X@PJL RDYMSG DISPLAY="LOW COOLANT"

The message that normally reads "READY" should change to your new, rather confusing error. Great fun if you write a script that changes it randomly.

Someone even <a href="http://www.ancientpond.com/ljshen.html">wrote a utility</a> to do it for you if you pipe it to the network name.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
←%-12345X@PJL RDYMSG DISPLAY="LOW COOLANT"
can IT track where it came from?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #18
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Could they? Yeah. Will they? Doubt it. I don't even think the printers keep access logs.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:24 AM   #19
twardo
Kinda New Member

Exclamation help me 2!

hey ppl,
i live near 'geoff' the guy who started this post and i have a slightly diff problem.

I want to add a shortcut to the desktop of comps at school, but the desktops are loaded from the server not the local computer, is there any way to get round this? i just want to change the word shortcut to one that logs the person off, i know how to do the shortcut bit but not how to put it on hte server.

thanks
twardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

See, I told you guys not to encourage him, and now he's bringing friends.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #21
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

"Thank you for logging into the Cellar helpdesk. We are sorry, but all of our technicians are busy at this time. If you would care to leave your name and credit card number......."

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #22
Geoff
Resident-in-Training

Bringing my friends...pfhh..anyway..back to the issue..and why shouldn't people encourage me. You have to start somewhere and I want to learn how to code so why not have some fun while doing it? Now again I want to know the VBscript for taking a screenshot, THanks in advance.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #23
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Thanks for the printer gag. It worked like a charm.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 PM   #24
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

You don't need vbscript to take a screenshot. Pressing the Print Screen button saves a picture of the desktop to the clipboard. You can use an application like irfanview to grab it off of the clipboard and save it to a bmp.

Then read up on how to create a full-screen borderless window and how to display a bmp image.

And Bob's your uncle.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #25
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Get 4-5 pices of paper , print a nasty message on them , scrolling left to right or up to down ( use your imagenation ) , tape them togather with the ends loose ,feed them into a fax , dial the number of a telemarketer , then as the end comes out tape it to the tail , continous "FUCK YOU " untill the fax runns out of paper , or to REALLY mess with sombody make the background BLACK and type the mesage in WHITE , this will run the fax out of ink , or you Could do a mobious strip alternating from light to dark , again use your imagination

Once YEARS ago I found a Monty Python disk that would remap the sounds from the key board to FART sounds , my boss finaly figured out who was messing with him , WELL he should have known since i removed and rearanged his keys on his key board once .
Old 09-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #26
Geoff
Resident-in-Training

Does anyone know how to find free ports to telnet on a local network, I plan to run applicaations remotely, (need help there too), I dont care about being logged, and that the data is unencrypted over telnet (I know...) Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:27 AM   #27
Geoff
Resident-in-Training

Cmon-if uve read this please post something....
Old 09-08-2005, 06:49 AM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Call the network administrator and ask which ports to telnet to.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #29
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Look at your own IP and network mask to figure out the range of IP's you're on...at least on your own segment. Also use what information you have to figure out the segments for the various servers on your network.

Run a portscan utility.

Chances are your business network doesn't have telnet available since it's old technology and there are many more secure alternatives. If it's a windows network, the network admin may have setup terminal services. But unless you're given access to this, you won't be able to get it. If you do have access, just download the terminal services client from Microsoft, and install it. Connect to the server and you can run anything you like remotely.

If you want to run things from home, and the servers are behind a firewall, things get a lot more complicated.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #30
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Thanks for the printer gag. It worked like a charm.
Awesome. Feel free to share an errors you generate. I'm always looking for new ones to confuse the office, here.

"NO RESUMES"
"SPELLING ERRORS DETECTED"
"LOAD PAPER GENTLY"
"REPLACE SQUIRREL"