xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Unless you're the one dying.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #1802
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
silly.
Oh? A study done by Harvard last fall showed that 45,000 Americans die every year due to lack of health insurance. Doesn't seem very silly to me.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #1803
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

How many people die each year from smoking or alcohol or drugs? I'm not bitching, just curious what the numbers are in relation.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #1804
SamIam

I don't see what that has to do with the discussion at hand. Alcoholics with insurance will go to treatment facilities and have a better chance of recovery than the ones in the park passing the paper bag. The morality so called of a disease should have nothing to do with its treatment.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #1805
classicman

I said I was just curious - What does the number of people killed by terrorists have to do with heathcare?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #1806
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I said I was just curious - What does the number of people killed by terrorists have to do with heathcare?
Which one is the more significant threat to American health and welfare based on hype vs. reality?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #1807
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
We're outraged by one and not the other.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #1808
Redux

Quote:
Well it looks like Anthem is taking a pre-emptive strike at the potential loopholes of the the single party healthcare reform bill now in Congress. Imagine that...

continues:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...tory?track=rss
I'm curious how you can explain it as a pre-emptive strike.

Given that these dramatic increases are on individual policies, not group policies.....and under the proposed Exchanges, those individuals would not only have more choice of providers, but the company in question would almost certainly not qualify for the Exchange at that premium/admin cost ratio?

These premium increases have everything to do with an unregulated, uncompetitive market and nothing to do with "loopholes" in the proposed reform.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #1809
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Which one is the more significant threat to American health and welfare based on hype vs. reality?
Healthcare
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #1810
SamIam

Well, I'm glad you finally concede that point, anyway.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #1811
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I'm curious how you can explain it as a pre-emptive strike.

Given that these dramatic increases are on individual policies, not group policies.....and under the proposed Exchanges, those individuals would not only have more choice of providers, but the company in question would almost certainly not qualify for the Exchange at that premium/admin cost ratio?

These premium increases have everything to do with an unregulated, uncompetitive market and nothing to do with "loopholes" in the proposed reform.
Nothing in the Demoncratic Healthcare Reform Bills would protect anyone from these kinds of increases. That is the point I have been bringing up for months. This increase is how the insurance companies will recoup any cost increases they incur with the proposed plans. The fact that they are unregulated is not addressed in the proposed plans; the fact that they are in an uncompetitive market is not addressed in the proposed plans, although I do recall the Republickins introducing a proposal for there to be greater competition in a free market across state lines. Nothing in the proposed plans on the table would prevent an insurance company from doing this in the future.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #1812
Redux

Quote:
Nothing in the Demoncratic Healthcare Reform Bills would protect anyone from these kinds of increases. That is the point I have been bringing up for months. This increase is how the insurance companies will recoup any cost increases they incur with the proposed plans. The fact that they are unregulated is not addressed in the proposed plans; the fact that they are in an uncompetitive market is not addressed in the proposed plans, although I do recall the Republickins introducing a proposal for there to be greater competition in a free market across state lines. Nothing in the proposed plans on the table would prevent an insurance company from doing this in the future.
And I have said repeatedly that you should actually read the text of the legislation (that I cited on numerous occasions) and not just opposition talking points and you would find that your assertions are in fact, incorrect.

And what the Republican proposal would have allowed is for the insurance companies to shop around for the least regulated state, including American Samoa, and apply those lowest standards across the board for consumers in any state in which the company has nexus.

But at this point, it really doesnt matter.

Have a healthy and truthful day!

Last edited by Redux; 02-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #1813
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
And I have said repeatedly that you should actually read the text of the legislation (that I cited on numerous occasions) and not just opposition talking points and you would find that your assertions are in fact, incorrect.
No my friend I have read it and there is nothing there to prevent it as I have stated numerous times over the last 6 months.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #1814
classicman

Redux - just a thought here -
Why cannot we merge a system of regulation by the Feds with the state option. Won't the fed regulations on what they can charge... cover the insureds?
I'm really just sick of this at this point.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1815
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

How 'bout starting with a simple "hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, and health insurance companies will be not-for-profit"