The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #181
Cloud

We are seeing the rubber-band syndrome common to any large social change.

At first, there's no action (i.e., sexual abuse is not talked about, kids are not believed, things are covered up, perps taking the cure)

Next, there's a huge overreaction. Everybody talks about it, there's an outcry, lawsuits filed, new laws made, new social reactions and institutions put into place. That's where we are now.

The final stage is winding down from the overreaction, making sure the new societal institutions and responses are working, and homogenization of the social position. We're not there yet.

This is merely my own, completely unscientific, opinion, but I see this progression a lot.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #182
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I agree about the rubber-band analogy. Very good. That is true and usually the way we settle down into a real change.

I do have a hard time labeling late reactions to abuse as "overreaction" especially when the outcry involves abuse of children...whose voices have gone unheard for far too long.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #183
Cloud

an extreme reaction, then. It's not an "over" reaction in the sense that it's unnecessary or unjustified, just -- big.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #184
Shawnee123

Yeah, I'm not trying to argue semantics, I totally see what you're saying. It is an extreme reaction in the rubber band analogy. We can hope it settles into a better understanding of this touchy issue.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #185
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

touchy issue, lol.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #186
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
We are seeing the rubber-band syndrome common to any large social change.
Characteristic of an under-damped system. A response that exceeds what is needed followed by oscillations (hype and then inaction, then more hype) that dampens with time. A classic underdamped response - 11 September followed by the 'veins hanging from teeth' attitude that wanted Saddam's head.

But this pedophilia response is not a knee-jerk reaction to an evil. This problem has been festering for generations. It was openly addressed in 2004. Dioceses all over the world have been in process to hide or protect assets for five years now. And still we have only addressed the problem in but a few nations.

What is the number for Malta? Something like 80 of 450 priests are known (by church records) to be pedophiles? IOW the response has really been tame. A classic example of an overdamped response where the response slowly keeps increasing - does not overreach.

The world's response to church hidden pedophilia has been extremely tame. Which is why an issue obvious all over America in 2004 is only just being discovered six years later in Ireland, Malta, Germany, etc.

This will not end until we know the Church's numbers (that should be significant) from every nation. Furthermore, the problem will never be solved as long as the Church has this introverted policy of priests who do not marry. Even marriage of gay priests should be encouraged. But that means the Catholic Church acknowledges reality. Even when all American bishops traveled in mass to Rome to plead for a solution, the Catholic Church choose to deny pedophilia exists - did nothing.

That is the problem. Apologies without action are only useless propaganda. The church has reams of files. Minimal action is to turn those files over to local authorities.

Last edited by tw; 04-28-2010 at 10:37 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #187
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
touchy issue, lol.
snort

Pun was not intended, but it was a good one!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #188
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

But what about tw's pun? ("reams of files")

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #189
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
But what about tw's pun? ("reams of files")
Files are paper. Reams measures paper. Where is the pun?

Add Chile and Brazil to countries discovering pedophilia among their clergy. From the Washington Post of 28 April 2010:
Quote:
A Roman Catholic priest in Brazil is facing charges he abused eight boys in cases dating back to 1995, prosecutors said Wednesday, adding to a growing list of allegations against clergy in Latin America. ...
Prosecutors said the reported abuses occurred this year, in 2009 and in 2001 in the city of Franca, ...
Calls to the Franca diocese rang unanswered. After-hours of calls to the offices of the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops were not returned. ...
A priest in Chile was charged recently with eight cases of sexually abusing minors, including a girl he had fathered.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #190
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, files are steel, and reams are Sheldon's scorecard.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #191
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Files are paper. Reams measures paper. Where is the pun?
Reaming is also another word for vigorous anal sex; e.g. "Toyota is getting completely reamed by this latest recall."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #192
Shawnee123

Quote:
Files are paper. Reams measures paper.
Paper covers rock!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #193
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Reamers are a printing device used to create or enlarge a hole in paper.
The slang use of ream, reaming, reamer is used almost exclusively in terms of anal sex (more usually gay anal sex) for this reason.

In this country at least.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #194
Shawnee123

The POPE. He's TERRIFIED!

Maybe he's scared it's all come to light.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe....html?hpt=Sbin
Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #195
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
The world's response to church hidden pedophilia has been extremely tame. Which is why an issue obvious all over America in 2004 is only just being discovered six years later in Ireland, Malta, Germany, etc.
The DA for Philadelphia subpoenaed Archdioceses records. Proved that one (of three Philly) Archdiocese had hundreds of known pedophiles. So the church responded? Of course not. Instead they hired consultants.

Six years later, the Philadelphia Archdiocese knew of more priests sexually attacking kids for years. Leaks suggest the church knew of at least 37 pedophiles left in positions of high risk.

A Philadelphia Grand Jury has accused two priests and a teacher for sexually molesting kids for more than two years. And Monsignor Lynn of Downingtown, whose jobs was to eliminate this problem, instead, knew this was ongoing and condoned it. Remember that name - forever. He is more guilty than the pedophiles. If Catholics are patriotic Americans, then that Monsignor goes to jail for a minimum of 14 years. And Catholics complain that was not long enough. But most Catholics so love pedophilia as to again remain quiet. If you are Catholic, you are part of a corrupt oganization that remains corrupt because you will again remain quiet. This is when four letter words should appear in your posts alongside the Cardinal's name.

He did what the Church wanted? 85% of all problems are directly traceable to the same people who condoned this decades previously and are still there.

Leaks say Philly Cardinal Rigali and many subordinates knew of this and other sexual abuses. And did nothing. Leaks suggest others including the Cardinal could be prosecuted. Yes, because corruption will never stop until the guy who protects overt penis activity is ‘beheaded’. Yes, beheaded. The Cardinal's public response was to bring back consultants who so successfully covered up previous organized sexual crimes.

Philadelphia’s DA Lyn Abraham demonstrated that every state should subpoena all Church records to find the thousands of pedophile priests. Yes, thousands. Question is how many thousands should be prosecuted? In part because so many Catholics are that brainwashed as to condone this stuff.

Someone asked about Ken Starr. Well, how many actually guilty penises need to be chased? Why we do chase one penis only for a political agenda? And not the penises of thousands who support extremism and hate? Philadelphia is not an exception.

Most every if not most Catholic Archdioceses have and have been protecting pedophiles. How many Archdioceses? Are 100 Archdioceses are guilty of protecting pedophiles? Ricoh laws were created to prosecute such organizations. 85% of all problems are directly traceable to the top penis. My comments are tame compared to what others here should be posting. Shame on anyone who says anything nice about Cardinal Rigali. Who ‘loves’ kids – by proxy.

Last edited by tw; 02-13-2011 at 11:35 PM.