The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Adak
Lecturer

Watching the Democrats - it's Fun and Macabre!

At the same time. Like "Saw X in Washington" mashed up with a circus clown.

But the flim-flam political lies have come down to the "brass tacks", and with the fiscal cliff approaching, we can see how earnest the Democrats REALLY are about cutting the government spending.

Will Obama and the Democrats cut current spending by 10%? NO.

Will Obama and the Democrats cut current spending by 5%? NO.

Will Obama and the Democrats cut current spending by even 1%? NO.

What Obama and the Democrats WILL do is immediately raise taxes - on the rich most conspicuously, but also on the middle class - when you're not looking of course. And it won't be called a tax, it will be called a "fee", a "levy", or some other friendlier euphemism.

We have a new game: Catch the euphemisms for "new taxes"! I said it was going to be fun!

After taxes are raised, Obama and the Democrats will cut PROJECTED FUTURE SPENDING - which is so horridly out of balance with income that not one democrat will support it, and why Obama and the democrats have never passed a budget (except Bush's budget, in the first year of Obama's first term).

So our deficit will continue to climb - up, up, and away!

What fun!

We've gone from a nation that loves our freedom, to a nation that loves the free $TUFF, from our government.

Our childhood dreams are being realized, though - there IS a real Santa Clause who brings us all kinds of free gift$: The Democratic Party.

Fun! Fun! Fun!
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Welcome back!

I would only suggest that the GOP also lacks credibility in the deficit department, so its in the interest of the stupidly criminal party to work with the criminally stupid party to get a balanced approach underway near-term.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Adak - got any recipes you want to share?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I'm waiting for you to explain the Mayan calender ending on Dec 21st as them knowing the world was coming to an end because Obama would be reelected.

We're in this mess because taxes were cut below any kind of sustainable level while we ran two wars for a decade. Now that the bill has come due, the only suggestions from the party that was mostly responsible is to double down on the unsustainable tax cuts.

There will be spending cuts, but there also needs to be revenue. The periods of US history with the highest tax rates also enjoyed the highest growth because tax policy encouraged tying up capital in enterprise. The 'trickle down' theory has not worked because tax savings trickle into offshore investments or exotic restructured financial products that are essentially financial masturbation - providing the illusion without actually producing anything.

Anyone who believes that American freedoms are being threatened because someones tax bracket is being adjusted up %4 is gullible. Anyone who states this without actually believing it is a lawyer, politician, or lobbyist.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
SamIam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
At the same time. Like "Saw X in Washington" mashed up with a circus clown
Hey, Adak. Welcome back! We were worried we wouldn't see you again now that Obama won both the electoral college and the POPULAR vote for President.

OK, now that the civilities are over...

Quote:
But the flim-flam political lies have come down to the "brass tacks", and with the fiscal cliff approaching, we can see how earnest the Democrats REALLY are about cutting the government spending.
Also, we can see how earnest the Republicans REALLY are about not cutting the taxes for anyone but a prviiledged few. The upper 2% or else the hell with everyone else.

Quote:
Will Obama and the Democrats cut current spending by 10%? NO.
Will Grover Norquist and the Tea Party modify the tax code to bring in more revenue to help decrease the deficit by even so much as .000001% ? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak
Will Obama and the Democrats cut current spending by 5%? NO.
Will Grover Norquist and the whacko Republican extremists modify the tax code to help reduce the deficit by even so much as .0000005%? NO

Quote:
Will Obama and the Democrats cut current spending by even 1%? NO.
Will Grover Norquist and his gang of Republicans feeding from the Corporate trough raise revenues by even .000000000000001% ? NO

Quote:
What Obama and the Democrats WILL do is immediately raise taxes - on the rich most conspicuously, but also on the middle class - when you're not looking of course. And it won't be called a tax, it will be called a "fee", a "levy", or some other friendlier euphemism.
What Grover Norquist and the Republicans will do is immediately cut Medicare and Medicaid, cut disability payments for vets injured in our on-going and numerous wars, and take food from the mouths of hungry children by eliminating the SNAP program. They'll do this when we're not looking of course by their continued refusal to make public their desired cuts to federally funded programs. And it won't be called destroying the social contract - it will be called encouraging the "job creators."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAK
We have a new game: Catch the euphemisms for "new taxes"! I said it was going to be fun!
We have a new game: Catch the euphemisms for further enriching the wealthiest few and creating a more plutocratic society with the passing of each day.

Quote:
After taxes are raised, Obama and the Democrats will cut PROJECTED FUTURE SPENDING - which is so horridly out of balance with income that not one democrat will support it, and why Obama and the democrats have never passed a budget (except Bush's budget, in the first year of Obama's first term).
The Republicans will continue to assure that deficit remains so horridly out of balance by their continued refusal to NEVER give a nanometer and their view of "compromise" as a 4 letter word.

Quote:
Our childhood dreams are being realized, though - there IS a real Santa Clause who brings us all kinds of free gift$: The Democratic Party.

Fun! Fun! Fun!
Our childhood nightmares are coming true because, yes Virginia, there is a Scroodge. And he is embodied by the Republican party. The Republicans are quite willing to send us all over the fiscal cliff; increase taxes on EVERYONE; send the economy into a fresh tailspin; watch unemployment rise to new highs; turn children, low income seniors, and the disabled out on the streets - no sacrifice to great for the rest of us if only the upper 2% get their way.

Merry Christmas, everyone. And the Republicans also have a gift for us all - a stocking filled with coal.

BAH, HUMBUG!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

COAL??? That's damn fossil carbon. Bloody eco-vandals.

Hiya Adak, post about some non-political interests sometimes ... if you have any.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
COAL??? That's damn fossil carbon. Bloody eco-vandals.
But - but *sputters* the Republicans LOVE coal! The only thing they love more is oil. We should be honored that the Republicans want to make us gifts of coal. The only thing better than coal and oil is oil shale . It combines the best of both coal and oil with the added benefits of strip mining - coming soon to a National Forest or Park near you. Well, not YOU, Zen since you're an Aussie, but all the rest of us in the only real country in the world.

Gee, now I'm feeling really bad for everybody who doesn't live in the good old US of A and won't get the gift of oil shale or coal or anything. Tell you what since it's the $-mas season. Y'all can pm me with your shipping address and I'll send you a piece of oil shale for your stockings. I'm sure my local Forest Service Office won't mind if I shop early and beat the Robber Baron rush.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
Adak
Lecturer

@Recipies? Might be a good distraction eh?

@Griff and @SamIam: Thanks for the welcome back.

@SamIam: In fracking, you bore a hole VERY deep (way past any ground water), and then you can bore horizontally, wherever you want to go, to get to the shale that has the oil, and fracture it.

There is NO strip mining!

It's like a hole for a water well, but much deeper. Everything else is hundreds to thousands of feet below the surface, and you see nothing of it.

Obama was bound to win - everybody loves $anta Claus! And he's "cool", and he's an idiot who can't run a lemonade stand in the hot Summer, with free lemons and water.

But he's cool, and he's got us on the dole - for jobs, for assistance of all types. Thanks to his economic policy duds, we've got more people on welfare than ever, in our history.

And he's promised us everything, if we just tax the rich.

What a load of horse shit! But we're going to call it FUN fertilizer, don't ya know!

Actual budget cuts offered by Obama and the Democrats so far: 0.00%

Quote:
Will Grover Norquist and the Tea Party modify the tax code to bring in more revenue to help decrease the deficit by even so much as .000001% ? NO
The tax code can't be changed unless the democrats approve it (which they won't), so no, the tax code can't be changed, atm. Norquist is an influential lobbyist, and on the Council on Foreign Relations, but has no vote in Congress, for either party. So he's out of the picture for any actual bill writing.

I tend to agree with Richlevy: some tax increases will be needed, but spending cuts should be 100 X as much - it's totally out of whack with Obama.

Drunken sailors could learn how to spend their money faster, by watching Obama.

You can drain the rich until they're wearing rain barrels - it won't cut the deficit one penney - because our projected spending deficit exceeds every cent that all the rich guys in the country are worth, all together.

You flunked arithmetic?

THAT's the big elephant in our living room, and I agree completely with Richlevy - we've had two wars + the extensive air campaign over Libya - and you can't do that without raising taxes.

My other interests are programming and helping out with Folding@Home and other computer assisted efforts to help cure diseases.

I'm #19 on my team, and #389 on the entire Folding@Home project.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...=169140#169140

Anybody read about the tax loophole that Starbucks and other multinationals are using to avoid ALL federal taxes in the UK?

Shows we don't have the only brain dead tax policies.

@SamIam: Trust me, you don't know what a "Scrooge" is, until you've seen a full on monetary crisis. It would make our fiscal cliff look like cheesecake, with our favorite ice cream. THAT is what the forced fiscal cliff, is meant to avoid - and it had better work, if it's needed.

Last edited by Adak; 12-03-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

well said adak. well said
Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
I'm #19 on my team, and #389 on the entire Folding@Home project.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...=169140#169140
What is that I don't even
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Adak, here's reality
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
glatt

How to lie with statistics.

Obama has increased spending less than other presidents, and way less than Republican presidents. True

Obama is spending more than any other president in history. True

These statements seem contrary, and a partisan will look only at the one that supports their team. But they are both true. If Bush spent x, and Obama increased spending even very slightly, then Obama is spending x + y, which is greater than x.

My way of thinking is to look at a household for an analogy. You are supposed to save money during the good times so you have a nest egg to get you through the bad times. We had good times under Clinton and were starting to save money, but Bush came in and stopped the saving of money and spent money like crazy instead. Then bad times came. And now Obama needs to spend money to get us through the bad times, but there is no money to spend because Bush already spent it during the good times. So Obama needs to spend money that doesn't exist. Not a very good situation to be in. But if you don't spend the money in bad times, the bad times will get even worse. And if you spend money that you don't have for too long, then the bad times will also get worse. Deficits do matter. I place the current problems directly at the feet of Bush. But so what? What do we do now? I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that we need to get money into the hands of consumers. Consumers drive the economy. Rich people do NOT drive the economy. Consumer demand created jobs. Small business monetary holdings do not create jobs.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On the other hand, the deficit is falling pretty fast right about now as revenues are increasing.

FY 2007: $161 billion
FY 2008: $459 billion
FY 2009: $1,413 billion
FY 2010: $1,293 billion
FY 2011: $1,300 billion
FY 2012: $1,089 billion
FY 2013*: $901 billion
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
What do we do now? I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that we need to get money into the hands of consumers. Consumers drive the economy. Rich people do NOT drive the economy. Consumer demand created jobs. Small business monetary holdings do not create jobs.
Can I get an AMEN?!

All those senior citizens with their social security spend that money...on food and medicine and doctors and travel, etc.

Get money into people's pockets and they will spend it. On food, travel, housing, clothing, entertainment, investments, houses, cars, etc.

That spending increases demand on businesses, which allows them to expand and create jobs to hire more people.

This, then, inflates the value of the businesses and translates to increased dividend and stock values. More revenue/net income = more taxes to the government. Not necessarily a higher tax rate, more OF the current taxes.

Everyone benefits. All the way to the top. And sideways through the federal and state government(s).

If you're playing fair and not being greedy and near-sighted, that is.

However, if your purpose is to milk as much cash from whomever and stash that money overseas in a tax haven, or run shady/shaky investment deals and get it done before anyone catches on or regulates it, then doing it the slow way, from the ground up won't work for you.

Corporate profits are at an all time high. If you are one of those people reaping the benefits of this, you sure as hell don't want that to change. Paying employees more or giving better benefits would cut into your profits! OMG! (Dumbasses don't even think beyond the end of their pointed little noses...err...wallets).

So go for the spending cuts on the backs of the poor people, the disabled, the elderly, our children...because they have no power or influence and there are no instant profits to be had from helping them survive. Plenty of long term benefits, but too many people have bought the fairy tale that we must CUT CUT CUT NOW NOW NOW or tomorrow the world will end. They aren't even willing to consider that they might be wrong.

And maybe more people should research how the economy actually works before they start bleating about what should be done with it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
as revenues are increasing
Thank you. The decrease in revenue due to the Recession played a major role in the increasing deficit during 2007 - 2009.