The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 01-08-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Random Sputterings: 1/8/2002

Dave Thomas, RIP: His commercials weren't quite as funny as "Where's the beef?", but they were funny nonetheless. From what I've read of him, he sounded like a genuine good guy.

Soccer: As I mentioned previously, World Cup is coming up in a few months. Soccer seems rabid, all over the world...except here. I wonder why it hasn't quite caught on. I have my suspicions...feel free to chime in:

--There are so many other sports that we follow here in the States.
--The game requires patience, much like baseball. Perhaps many find it boring.

The reason I brought it up is because Major League Soccer is pulling Tampa Bay and Miami for next season, leaving the league with 10 teams. Attendance is weak in some of their other markets as well. The NASL came and went. Yet, during World Cup '94, the stands were filled.

I've always been a fan, but even moreso when I moved to DC and watched the United play. I think it's an exciting game, and truth be told, it's one of the simplest games to understand, IMO.

Football: My 3 favorite teams are in the playoffs. God smiled upon the Ravens last night. Now they'll probably get beat next weekend. The Eagles should take Tampa Bay, particularly if it's a cold day at the Vet. We need not speak of the glory of the Rams, but I will say this--Faulk for MVP. No question. Kurt Warner is great, but he did throw a lot of interceptions this year.

XM: Have you all heard of this? It sounds like a good idea, but what if you buy the system and then they go belly up?

Quick Quips: Maybe I should think about taking my Xmas tree down...

I will now only take road trips if the places have a Wawa or a mall. (Russotto and UT should get this.)

I might do a Kevin Smith festival tonight and tomorrow: Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, and Dogma. I have yet to see Dogma.

Two temp agency interviews tomorrow in Center City...this should be interesting.

Job Front: I've talked to various temp agencies and employers over the past few weeks. And they all must think I'm crazy. Every time I tell them that I'm not interested in working in the King of Prussia area, they have this pause in their voice, like "What?!", then the conversation generally ends shortly thereafter.

I am well-aware that I'm limiting my choices of employment quite a bit by refusing to go to Chester or Montgomery Counties (well, I'll go to Willow Grove or Huntingdon Valley...and that's about it). The way I see it, there HAS to be some decent employment in the City of Philadelphia, Trenton, or Bucks County...it's all about finding it.

Enough...
Old 01-08-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Behold... the instrument of thy destruction, infidel.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:02 PM   #3
elSicomoro

I laugh at those cheeseheads...

Speaking of St. Louis, the folks are probably losing their minds today. Ozzie Smith is off to Cooperstown.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:42 PM   #4
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

XM: Doesn't ring a bell with me.

Dogma: Great movie! Of course, too bad Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back isn't on DVD yet.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:38 PM   #5
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Sperlock
XM: Doesn't ring a bell with me.
XM Radio is a new radio service that offers 100 channels, some commercial-free I believe, via a tuner you purchase for your car or home. I believe the service is $10 a month. The commercials they've been running on TV feature B.B. King and David Bowie.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:48 AM   #6
dave

I don't watch TV, so I haven't seen the XM ads - but it sounds pretty cool. I don't have a car yet, so that'd be a minor problem. However, it definitely sounds like something I could dig, provided they had good channels. For commuters, it'd probably be a godsend. Of course, I'm going to have an iPod anyway, so there's no real reason to get much else...

Old 01-10-2002, 05:19 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Re: Random Sputterings: 1/8/2002

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
We need not speak of the glory of the Rams, but I will say this--Faulk for MVP. No question. Kurt Warner is great, but he did throw a lot of interceptions this year.
Warner gets the MVP. I truly am surprised...I really didn't think he'd pull ahead of Faulk. Then again, I had no clue that Warner passed for 4800 yards this season either.