The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Thinking about it

Is it possible to have a meaningful relationship with a beautiful woman, who is almost 21? Consider that she is initiating the relationship where the desired goal is children. So many things race through my mind. Should a person be concerned if he had prior relationships with some of her stepmother and grandmother, yet both seem very supportive of said relationship??

Should one follow the heart??
Old 08-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

do your own thing , buuuuut
Old 08-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sometimes I can't tell if you're joking or not, Sarge. But the rule is and always has been, "half your age, plus seven." So unless you're 26, that's a no.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Is it possible to have a meaningful relationship with a beautiful woman, who is almost 21? Consider that she is initiating the relationship where the desired goal is children. ...
She wants you to adopt her?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Is it possible to have a meaningful relationship with a beautiful woman, who is almost 21?
Not unless you're between 18-26.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Hmmm, so I can expect this won't be a blessed union by the folks here. ok. I seriously thought age didn't matter as long as the heart was true.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Sarge, please consider ... you've been down this road before. You have experience that has shown you that age does matter, despite the fact that your heart was true. You had a daughter with a beautiful young woman who was around the age of the woman you are currently involved with, and it's been difficult and painful for you to even have access to your child. Why would you want to repeat the experience? And what about the life (lives) of the child(ren) who will be caught in the middle?

The heart is important but not the only factor when other lives are involved.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I only think about all the trouble you have had due to the last relationship you had with a younger woman Sarge.

Why not keep to yourself, away from this woman completely for a month or so, and then see if you still feel the same.

Remember, you are pretty vulnerable emotionally at the moment. Don't mistake love for affection or vice versa. Could be that its a little more or less than what you think.

Most of all, just remember you have always been supported here. Dont take possibly wise counsel as an offence when it's not meant to be so. Xx
Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

♪ ♫...If you gotta crush♪ ♫
♪ ♫(Don't beat about the bush)♪ ♫
♪ ♫When I gotta crush♪ ♫
♪ ♫Run run away...♪ ♫

♪ ♫...Oh now can't you wait♪ ♫
♪ ♫(Love don't come on a plate)♪ ♫
♪ ♫Oh now can't you wait♪ ♫
♪ ♫Run run away...♪ ♫

~Run Run Away by Slade

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 08-24-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Sarge if it feels right, truly right, go for it.

But, please, make sure you ask yourself the hard questions here.

21?? Have a little fun anyway!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Why not have a relationship?

I don't know so, so much about the situation; my thoughts are thus ill-informed. However, Sarge, what do YOU want from such a relationship? If you know, then share that with her. If they match what she wants, then why the hell not? Of course, knowing what one wants in a relationship is one of life's most difficult undertakings. There are lots of areas, lots of pieces and parties, changing feelings; that stuff is difficult to pin down, much less articulate.

But if you can, then by all means, share it. With her I mean, though I'd be interested too, if you want to share here. The "rules" described above are easy to express and evaluate, but that doesn't make them appropriate to apply to you or your situation.

My feelings about relationships have changed considerably since I was a youngster. There's no doubt I'm a better partner now that I've ever been, and much of that improvement is due to a better understanding I have about myself. Self-knowledge is hard, self-honesty is hard. But if you do know, and she knows, and they're compatible, I'd say that's a very good start.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
But the rule is and always has been, "half your age, plus seven." So unless you're 26, that's a no.
Eh hem ... "half your age, plus FIVE."

Sarge - I've been with my GF for 9 years now so IMO it totally depends on the people involved.
The kid thing is a HUGE issue (redflag) for me. Are you seriously looking to father and support more children - AGAIN?!?!?!? Call me crazy, but .... I'd
Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman
Eh hem ... "half your age, plus FIVE."
Hey, no judgment here, I myself was the lower half of a rule-breaking relationship in my teens... but Sarge would still be breaking the rule even if it were plus-five (which it's not, you cradle-robber. )
Old 08-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Ha! Well that "rule" doesn't work as one ages. The ratios change.
At one point I think we were breaking the rule, but now its OK ... or maybe it was the other way around.

Speaking of which... here is us from our trip to Punta Cana in June.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
Clodfobble

Well sure, the whole point is the ratio changes, because age matters less the older you are. 33 and 16? Definitely creepy. 67 and 50? Still 17 years apart, but infinitely less weird.

You two look like you had a lot of fun! It's good to see you around again. How's Dan?