The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-30-2005, 04:33 AM   #1
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Angry Illegal Immigrants Are Killing Us

I'm in Iraq, fighting terrorism from what they tell me, getting paid squat, spending a year away from my family, and I am constantly reading articles about Illegal Immigrants invading my own country. I would like to know why were are spending billions of dollars on this country, "fighting terrorism" and yet we throw away even more money at home by letting Illegals into the country to take more of our money.
The Illegals are bringing in disease, guns, drugs, possibly terrorists, gang members, and who knows what else, and we stand for it. We lose millions every year because of these people. We give them all the medical care they can take. We give them education that we pay for. Additionally, they send what money they earn back to Mexico. Hell, some states are even implementing a mandatory Spanish course for police, firemen, and EMTs so they can better communicate with people who don't speak English!!! Some congress people are trying to get them drivers licenses. There is even a man who wants Illegal Immigrants to have the power to vote at school board meetings. Are you kidding me? Not on my dime, Folks.
People, wake up! Let them come, yes, but lets make them legal so they have to at least pay taxes and earn what they get like the rest of us. Make them learn English so we don't have to waste our money on teaching people Spanish. It is America, last I knew. I think it's a shame there are parts of California where I can't even understand a person behind the counter at a gas station because they don't speak English.
"No thanks. I'll take my business elsewhere, Amigo."
Whether you agree with the war or not, you should pay attention to this illegal issue. This is our nation, People. This is America, not Amexico. I don't give a damn about Mexico's problems. They need to clean up their own backyard before they come in and start messing up ours. We need a stronger border. The politicians just don't seem to care. We need to wake them up a bit and remind them who is taking care of the bill-WE ARE. We need to remind them, we are the ones in charge. Write letters, make phone calls, start another website for the love of Pete. Do something. I can't believe this wasn't an issue on this website to begin with after all the praise I've heard about it....nothing on Illegal Immigration...Okay, I will begin the battle.
NICOTINEGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

Okay -- so who is going to pick your fruit, wash your dishes, mow your lawn?...
Do a little research before you start spouting garbage. Here's a good (short) article to start with: http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/pr-imopi.html
Old 08-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Okay -- so who is going to pick your fruit, wash your dishes, mow your lawn?...
Do a little research before you start spouting garbage. Here's a good (short) article to start with: http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/pr-imopi.html
Not that I agree with nicotine, but I live in the Chicago 'burbs - so no fruit trees. The lot is small so I don't mind mowing. And I have a daughter on dish duty.

So I don't need immigrants for any of that.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Not that I agree with nicotine, but I live in the Chicago 'burbs - so no fruit trees. The lot is small so I don't mind mowing. And I have a daughter on dish duty.

So I don't need immigrants for any of that.
But you do need your sugar. Sugar foolishly is produced in the US because your taxes pay for half of it. IOW Jose and Juan have no jobs. The sugar industry cannot move to where it is easy to produce AND where the people need jobs. So what do these people do? They do exactly as your own ancestors did when there were no jobs and where government / religious intolerance told them what religion to worship. Illegals go where the jobs are. There will be no stopping them by force because America needs them - in part thanks to the US government's enriching of selective industries.

If you have problem with illegal immigration, then start by demanding the administration stop subsidizing so many agricultural industries. As long as the government subsidizes food - and the biggest offenders are France and the U.S. - then we must import illegal immigrants in massive numbers.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Ever eat out? Ever eat a peach shipped from Cali? Still the same illegals. It doesn't have to be local to have a large impact on the economy that affects you.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

You see, the main issue with illegal aliens is that...well, there illegal. They are breaking the law, they are here illegallly. I don't see why we should reward those who are breaking the law. Someone breaks into your house and steals all your electronic equipment. They get caught but someone thinks we should compensate that person monitarily for the time they spend in jail. Obviously, this a fictional scenario, but it's pretty much what folks want to see happen with illegal migrants. Give them the same rights I have for being here illegally.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who complains because the imigrants are taking "my jobs" away from me. Pie has a point, who is going to do these mundain jobs that most Americans don't want anything to do with. I just had three Hispanic gentlemen in my backyard for the last three days moving dirt around to re-grade my yard. In the middle of August in the hot Arizona sun...what a suckass job that is. But there they were, working their buns off. I wouldn't want that job, no way, no how. But why do they have to be illegal aliens. I'm not hip on the mechanics of how to get to America legally. I don't know whether it cost money, there's a huge waiting list, that we only allow a certain number of folks in, how work visa's work. I don't know. Maybe someone can clue me in on how this works.

When you have illegal aliens working in this country, two things happen. One, they usually are getting paid under the table becuase they don't have social security numbers, so they are not paying taxes to support the public services that they use. Two, most of the money goes back over the border to support the rest of the family in Mexico. So in my slightly elementry economic knowledge, that does nothing for our economy.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Nicotinegun is clearly a jingoistic, nationalistic, moron who is woefully lacking in education; in particular history.

America was built by immigrants. Unless he's 100% American Indian, the only difference between his family and illegal Mexican immigrants is the accent with which they speak. When European immigrants came to America, all they had to do was show up and they'd be welcomed.

Now we've got a bunch of idiots trying to close the borders, and trying to make it tougher and tougher for someone to come here to work to build a better life for their families.

America has always welcomed immigrants with open arms and always should. It keeps labor and goods reasonably priced. It keeps competition high. And it makes sure the best and brightest from all over the world come here to put America on top.

A Mexican coming here is just as American as anyone born here, if not moreso. He CHOSE to come here, and did something about it. He isn't American by accident of birth. He worked hard to make it happen. The best Mexicans in the world are in America. The best Europeans in the world are in America. The best black people in the world are in America. We've got the strongest, fastest, and smartest people on earth because we welcome everyone.

Only a fool with no understanding of freedom would be against allowing an unlimited number of immigrants to come to America. But then again, only a fool with no concept of freedom would take part in the war in Iraq. In fact only a traitor who has violated his oath would follow the wholly unlawful order to invade Iraq. Only a coward who was afraid to go to the brig would comply.

The answer isn't to close off our borders. The answer is to remove each and every single unconstitutional social program like medicare, social security, welfare, public schools, etc. so there is no incentive for people to come here seeking handouts. Only to seek opportunity so they'd be contributing and not leeching.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome to the Cellar, Nicotinegun.

There is a difference, Radar, between welcoming immigrants who come in through the front door for the purpose of bettering themselves, producing, contributing, and, oh yeah, learning English and the folks who are sneaking across the border, working under the table, and sending their kids to school that they aren't paying for, receiving medical care that they aren't paying for, etc. etc.

I don't know the source of the numbers, but some poll taken in Mexico indicated that HALF their population wanted to come to the US, and 20% were willing to come illegally. The question that raised for me was not "What's so great about America?" but "How do you fix what's broken in Mexico?"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Maddox has two great articles on a very similar topic.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

As I said, the solution isn't to restrict immigration. It's to end all the social programs, medical care, etc. Also, Spanish has been spoken in America far longer than English and on a continual basis. I am for getting rid of public schools.

English is the language of business in America, and those who fail to learn it, won't do well in business.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #11
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Well this has totally buggered up my holiday plans. It was going to be a choice between Mexico and New Orleans. Now I 'm not sure if I should go to Mexico, as I would then be supporting the Mexicans who are more interested in poaching from the US economy than improving their own, nor for that matter if I should go to the US because I will most probably be encouraging more illegals by supporting the tourist industry where I would expect a lot of them find work. What a dilemma! - sounds as though it might have to be Cuba instead!

(If it's any consolation I thought NG was talking about the UK when I first started reading his diatribe - reckon this is a common problem across the western economies)
Old 08-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Think of it this way. If more people in Mexico make money, they'll have less reason to come to America. That's why I buy American cars. I want to keep jobs in Mexico.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Welcome to the Cellar, Nicotinegun.

There is a difference, Radar, between welcoming immigrants who come in through the front door for the purpose of bettering themselves, producing, contributing, and, oh yeah, learning English and the folks who are sneaking across the border, working under the table, and sending their kids to school that they aren't paying for, receiving medical care that they aren't paying for, etc. etc.
The magic words are "working under the table," Wolf. American citizens are hiring illegal immigrants illegally. If Americans hired only legal workers and took deductions out of their wages for taxes, the illegals would be legal and they wouldn't be getting the "free ride" they are now. The story is not as simple as the evil Mexican, desperate for work. What's so wrong with wanting to work, anyhow? I think the employers that pay under the table are more at fault than the workers.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
mrnoodle
bent

Close the borders, but make it easier to become a legal immigrant. If you want to become an American, we should make room for you. If you want to be a [insert country here]-ian, but take advantage of the American welfare system, our infrastructure, our health care, too damn bad. If you ring the doorbell and come in through the front door, you're a guest or a resident. If you crawl in through the window, you're an intruder.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #15
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Damn, ignorant crap like this pisses me off. OK, must calm down...must focus...

Those of you who think that illegal immigrants are leeching resources from us, without any return...Do you really think the IRS is that stupid?

There is a special tax ID number with which illegal immigrants can use to pay wage tax and Social Security. It's estimated that they pay in BILLIONS, and they usually do not end up collecting Social Security.

Why would illegal immigrants bother to get an ID number and pay taxes? Well, they are people who have most likely risked everything, including death, to come here and make better lives for themselves and their families. They see getting the special tax ID as a way to put themselves in good graces with the U.S. government.

Yes, some end up not being able to be as productive as they set out to be, and then there are the bad seeds. But for the most part, illegal immigrants have to rely on emergency health services because they work jobs which do not offer health care or allow them to afford health care insurance.

People always seems to forget this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
America was built by immigrants. Unless he's 100% American Indian, the only difference between his family and illegal Mexican immigrants is the accent with which they speak. When European immigrants came to America, all they had to do was show up and they'd be welcomed.
My great-grandparents were Mexicans until New Mexico became a state in 1912. My great-grandfather spoke five languages, including Spanish--English was not one of them. Learning a little Spanish is not going to kill anyone, in fact, it will only help, because Spanish is the most widely spoken language in the world.

Aargh!
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote