The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 06-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I have lost a lot of brain power

Between a very long term undiagnosed sleep disorder, chronic stress from you know who, and what my doc is calling PTSD, though I still find it hard to believe despite the evidence, I have lost a lot of my cognitive abilities.

I am going to see a job counselor shortly and I think I'll be given some tests, either Meyers Briggs or Differential Aptitude tests, no biggie, I expect them to show what I already know; killing it with mechanical reasoning, verbal ability, abstract thinking, slightly barely above average in math, solid with logic.

Out of curiosity I took a few practice tests just for fun and was dismayed to see how badly I crashed and burned. In every mechanical reasoning test I've ever taken my worst score put me in the 98th percentile. I came in at about 75th, next, in abstract thinking I was in the bottom third, verbal put me at slightly below average, I didn't have the patience for the math.

One of the things that pissed me off about the test, and I find this in nearly all of these types of tests is that the questions are poorly worded. e.g. "A car and a bowling ball fall off a cliff at the same time, which one hits the ground first?" The illustration is a huge land ark and a bowling ball going over a cliff.

Obviously we all know the IN A VACUUM they would fall at the same rate, but there was no mention of any vacuum in the question. The colossal land ark has significantly more air resistance than they bowling ball and so would reach terminal velocity after the bowling ball and thus land second. Again, no mention of the height of the cliff, so the time difference may be minute.

The correct answer is they land at the same time BECAUSE AIR RESISTANCE ISN'T A FACTOR IN THIS QUESTION.

You know what? Why not ask if objects falling in a vacuum travel at the same velocity, if that's what you wanted to know?

There were a couple of other dumbass ones but the majority of wrong answers were simply pilot error.

At least I am not imagining feeling really stupid.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Occam's Razor, don't add shit to their question.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Just finished the assesment and I will see the results in a few days. The invigilator said I did exceptionally well. So maybe I dropped down to 97th percentile...
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
So maybe I dropped down to 97th percentile...
Reminds me of questions about watermelons and blowjobs being offered to tw.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote