The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-29-2001, 04:29 PM   #166
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The singer for VAST sounds a bit like Robert Smith. I remember hearing a song by them on the radio, and Rho and I originally mistook them for the Cure.

I'm in a grungy mood today...but I'm quite clean thanks.

Alice in Chains--Dirt: Dham and I were extolling the greatness of this CD earlier today. Just a great rock CD--easily one of the best of the 90s.

Nirvana--In Utero: When I think about Kurt Cobain now, I get sad, then I get pissed off. I was on my way to a CD store when the news came over the radio that he had killed himself in '94. I didn't worship the ground he walked on, but I thought he was a great musician that changed the face of music as we know it (for better or worse). It's just a shame that he felt suicide was the only way to escape his pain. Another great CD...even better than Nevermind. It also has one of the most intense songs I've ever heard--"Milk It."

Soundgarden--Ultramega OK: Their first full-length CD. Rather than sign with a major, they jumped from Sub Pop to SST (another outstanding indie) in 1988. The CD wound up being nominated for a Grammy. Amazing, b/c 1) Not a whole heck of a lot of indie-label records get a nomination and 2) Soundgarden was only primarily known in the Northwest and on the underground scene at that point. Raw, loud, and featuring the trademark Chris Cornell wail.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 01:37 PM   #167
dave

Damn right, Dirt is a good album.

<b>Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend</b> - yeah, it's not actually an album. It doesn't have all the best songs on it, but all the songs on it are good, and most of the best are here. If you're gonna get it, get the one that was published by Tuff Gong - the Island version has cut-down versions of both "Exodus" and "No Woman No Cry" - settle for nothing but the full cuts. Great CD.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:09 PM   #168
Griff
still says videotape

Taj Mahal

Playing Phantom Blues today. Thats just a really nice groovin album, give it a listen.

Somebody mentioned Bob Wills a while back, he was the real deal. There is an unfortunate album of covers of his stuff out there by a bunch of synthetic modern c and w types. From the few I've heard you should spend your money on the real thing.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 04:38 PM   #169
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Somebody mentioned Bob Wills a while back, he was the real deal.
Griff,You bet! I'm mighty fond of oldtime swing. I've got a great compilation from Living Era, ASV LTD. out of England. 'The King of Western Swing'Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. Its the original mono recordings from 1935-45. 25 cuts. It'll get ya tapping your toe. a-ha! Living Era does a great job with these compilations, fun to listen to, no clunker cuts, and they're like $12.

Another fine Living Era disc perfect for selected occasions is 'Swing from Paris- Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli- The Quintet of the Hot Club of France, 1935-39. 22 cuts.

And one more that gets lots of play here is 'Oscar Aleman: Swing Guitar Masterpieces 1938-57'Acoustic Disc-29. Its a two disc set. He rivals Django.

There is a trio out of Austin, TX- 'Hot Club of Cow Town' that brings the swing to life. They tour a bit, tore up the last Winnipeg folkfest, and have a few CDs out- Dev'lish Mary and Tall Tales on Hightone records. Look out for them on tour if you wanna fun night out.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 05:10 PM   #170
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

At the moment, it's Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen- Lost in the Ozone

Ah, yes... happy sounds from a simpler time:

... and I'm down to seeds and stems again, too...
... yeah I've got the Seeds and Stems Again Blues...

A fine way to start the New Year.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:00 AM   #171
dave

I'm back on Bad Religion, but I'm going to switch it up soon with my Rap Mix, which is what I want to write about.

Sugarhill Gang - anyone remember them? Awwww yeah. Good fun stuff to be listening to at work. Keeps me in an upbeat mood. Makes me want to get work done. Good stuff.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:11 AM   #172
elSicomoro

Miles Davis--Sketches of Spain

Ministry--Dark Side of the Spoon

Moby--I Like to Score

Rollins Band--Come In and Burn

Squirrel Nut Zippers--Hot
Old 01-03-2002, 01:25 PM   #173
elSicomoro

more...

Dave Matthews Band--Crash

Living Colour--Stain
Old 01-04-2002, 06:36 AM   #174
hertz
Dry Nurse

Here are a few of the disks that I have found myself in the mood for lately ...

New Order - Get Ready

I can't believe how long these guys have been around for. And they still butter my bread. Only the Cure can rival them for meaningful longevity.

Magic Dirt - What Are Rock Stars Doing Today

Stand out tracks - Nightingale, and Supagloo. Some sound bites and a few full clips are available from their website.

Eskimo Joe - Girl

I really like this album. Liar has become my signature track. Not because I am one (although I am), but because singing the first few lines in that falsetto never fails to raise a giggle from one particular friend.

Besides that, it's a great debut. I was afraid that they might be a one or two hit wonder, but I was not to be disappointed.
Official site (down at the moment, but check out the fan sites).
hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 06:42 AM   #175
dave

I'M

THE

CULT

OF

PER

SO

NAL ITY!

I am the cult of, I am the cult of...
Old 01-04-2002, 01:25 PM   #176
matt
At last! A dead star!

Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence" maxi-single. Nothin' like six mixes of the best song ever. Too bad I left the 86>98 bonus disc back at school, there's another mean 15 minute or so mix on there.

Hertz: I think New Order's got The Cure beat for meaningful longetivity. The Cure haven't meant anything since "Wish".

Hey Sycamore, how's that new Rollins Band record? I don't think I've listened to some good ole' Angry Hank since "Weight"...
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:26 PM   #177
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

My listening just won't settle down lately; it could come from anywhere in the MP3 library, or I may even get sent off to the vinyl archive to rip something from there.

I did finally get a good tool for listing the library though...Here's the output...(large: 500k)

Generated: Fri Jan 4 13:44:17 2002 by Neon Goat MP3 Report Generator

Scanned directories:
/usr/public/mp3
Total number of dirs: 261
Total number of files: 770
Average file size: 4.75 MB
Average playing time: 4 minutes and 57.11 seconds
Total size of files: 3.57 GB (3660.36 MB)
Total playing time: 2 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes, and 52 seconds

Considering this is either stuff I ripped myself, or downloaded (mostly over low-speed connections), it's representative of my tastes or those of other's in my family.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:57 PM   #178
dave

I'll have to do that once I get all of my MP3's reorganized and everything. I've ripped about 1,300 in the last few days. About 200 of those are duplicates with what I've got on my other computer. Now I just need to go through and ID3 tag them all! Oh yeah, and make proper directories for them and whatnot. This is going to be fun! Luckily, it shouldn't be difficult - all of my MP3's are named following a very specific convention - but it will take an awful long time to do it. I plan to start this weekend.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:18 PM   #179
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by mmesker
Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence" maxi-single. Nothin' like six mixes of the best song ever. Too bad I left the 86>98 bonus disc back at school, there's another mean 15 minute or so mix on there.
Great single. I like the b-sides on that one.

Quote:
Hertz: I think New Order's got The Cure beat for meaningful longetivity. The Cure haven't meant anything since "Wish".
I wouldn't necessarily say that. New Order disappeared after Republic...that was what? 7 years ago? While I like the new record, it won't catch on with the masses.

A lot of people say that Wish sucked. I personally love that CD. All the talk about "selling out"...pffft! Whatever.

Hertz: How could you leave out Depeche Mode?

Quote:
Hey Sycamore, how's that new Rollins Band record? I don't think I've listened to some good ole' Angry Hank since "Weight"...
You know, I kinda fell away from Hank. Come in and Burn came out in the spring of 1997. It's not exactly the best...the production sucked on it...although it has some great quotable moments, like my sig line. And, "I kiss my fear on the mouth."

After that record, he got rid of the old band, got a new backing band, and released Get Some Go Again, Nice, and the new one, A Nicer Shade of Red. I haven't heard the last two, but from what I heard of Get Some Go Again, it was pretty decent.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:23 PM   #180
elSicomoro

Cypress Hill--Black Sunday

Prodigy--Music for the Jilted Generation

Natural Born Killers--soundtrack