Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Non serviam?

Hell, non serviam is the essence of old-school Americanism!

Along with 'mind your own business and keep your hands to yourself', non serviam is what America, Americanism, Americans are (supposed to be) about.
I suggest you do a little more boning up on your history, "Americanism" has always been about working together for the good of the group. The settlements, towns, and cities grew from the very idea of banding together for survival. There were hearty pioneers that moved into the wilderness but they did it in groups to establish new places. The west was won by wagon trains, not individuals. Sure, there were folk heroes who set out on there own, but that's why they were famous, they were exceptions.

Hollywood created the John Wayne, Gary Cooper, badass loner myth, but notice they were never really alone, they were dependant of others. Someone to sell them bullets and whiskey, towns with prostitutes and law.

These ranchers whose great granddaddy started this here ranch, forget somebody else's great grand daddy did the same nextdoor. They were spread out, but still a group and they depended on each other for support, while making a fortune grazing cattle on my land.

We grew and prospered by working together through government, water, roads, sewers, electricity, railroads, defense, are all from governments at different levels.

While I agree we've become the world's nanny and I don't like that either, it's the doing of our elected representatives in government. And if we're unhappy with what they're doing we should kick the fuckers doing it out. But not eliminate the government who gives us so much power, just the ones in it that aren't doing what we want. The better future is getting involved, not turning away, because E pluribus unum.