The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 11-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
dave

Duplicate accounts

People with more than one account are really starting to annoy me. It's not funny. It never was. If you don't like your account name, Undertoad will change it to something you *do* like. You don't need a new account. Stuff like "Fucking Retard" and "Cuddles" and all of slang's accounts.... it's old.

I propose that people that create multiple accounts have to pick and choose one, and the others are locked out. This is fucking ridiculous.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i'll second that motion

would the distinguished gentleman from the land of toads please ratify the bill?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
r9703410
Coronation Incarnate

I'll stick to r97 dave sorry for that
Old 11-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
dave

It's not just you, that's the problem. If it's one person with one extra account, it's not a big deal. It's multiple people with multiple accounts. It's redundant and repetetive and redundant and repetetive.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #5
r9703410
Coronation Incarnate

yeah I know just saying.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:37 PM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

I guess what irks me about it, isn't so much the Al Gore Smokings and Gods, but when occasionally someone has something to say and doesn't have the guts to say it under the name by which they're known. If you can't put it out there honestly, how can you expect to be taken seriously?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:44 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My opinion on this varies so I'll just listen to y'all discuss it and do whatever y'all think is right.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Ok. I see this has been annoying people for quite some time. For what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

1) People come and go here. If someone creates an acct, how much does it cost? Is it a problem if someone creates an account, then fades out? If not, then why would it be a problem if someone uses an alternate account to reply to specific comments or topics? It's not like they'd be "dead" accounts. Also the non-slang accounts have the appropriate profiles listed in the user info. Quotes, interests, stuff that the login might actually list.

2) Does the use of the ignore feature put more stress on the site?
There are 2 people right now that are on my permanent iggy list. That's what it's there for. This allows me to come here without being irritated whenever these people post. It's a great tool, everyone wins. I dont step on their toes and they dont step on mine. With the exception of these 2, people here are interesting and tolerant. Is there anyone else that uses the ignore feature?

3) When I set up the additional accounts I thought there'd be a limit. There wasn't. Maybe there should be. Can there be a limit of X number of logins using the same e-mail account? That wouldnt totally eliminate the problem but it would alert the user that there is a limit. Is that something easily done or not?

4) The last mass use of the non-slang logins were as a conversation starter. If that's really that irritating PM me or something.

Having said all that, I know the overwhelming majority of my posts are just goofy shit. The debating and arguing was old a long time ago so I've made an effort to be funny. Maybe too much so. There are a lot of witty people here.

If the use of my sock puppet logins is generally regarded as annoying, I'll stop. There hasnt been a lot of negative input though. Many people reply to them too, so take a vote, make a decree...whatever. There's only one cellar so lemme know what the consenus is.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

so you are rush limballs and al gore smoke etc?

just how many id's do you have in total?

i will only use one because i want credit for the amazingly witty things i say and the shockingly concise and well thought out opinions i put forth. i feel you may be spreading yourself thin, a bit.
that said, i do like the funny log in names, especially when they are used to make a point or joke or insult that ties in to the id name.

it's the "trying to trick you" type of dual identity that i think dave is addressing.

I guess this makes it a grey area?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #10
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Yes, definitely a gray area. The only time it really annoys me is when someone uses it to post scathing shit anonymously, or stuff contrary to the personality of their regular login.

I guess my insight on it would be... if you have more than one login, but everybody knows that they are all the same person, it's pointless. So the only "useful" way to use multiple logins is to hide one's true identity (their "identity" referring to their regular login, not their real-world identity), which in a community such as this is not conducive to open communication. Sure, occasionally it can be used for humor purposes, or to get a fresh start, but I think those occasions are limited enough that it would be no great loss to lose them.

If it has to go one way or the other, I vote for one-account-per-user. Or, at the least, users should be strongly discouraged from creating multiple accounts. Maybe if all handles from a multi-handle user always had an "a.k.a." area under the handle, or something? I've never administered UBB, so I don't know how easy it is to add such things.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you could limit it to one acct per email address. most people have 2-3 email addresses, so if they wanted to use another anon login, they could, but it would take more effort and wouldn't get too hairy.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #12
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I agree with lumberjim's idea.

The internet should be enough of an anonymizer (is this even a word? you get my point). Why the hell would you need more user accounts?

I found slang's sybil accounts funny until he fucked with the radar referendum last week. That kinda irritated me. I'd say I'm indifferent to them now...so long as they aren't jacking up UT's costs to run and store Cellar, it's all good.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The additional costs are zero, for all practical purposes.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:16 PM   #14
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
That kinda irritated me.
I'm sorry Syc, it wont happen again.

Maybe I can make it up to ya. Do you like deermeat?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:35 PM   #15
dave

I don't really see the community as something where we need to have them. I find them to be exactly the opposite of what we're trying to do here. slang isn't the worst offender, though he has the most accounts.

I have two accounts; this one, and this one, which was made to prove a point (point being that it's extremely easy to have multiple accounts, something sycamore thought was not possible).

I keep one login because I'm one person. The login is the identity to the community. People that have more than one login are creating more than one identity. The point of the Cellar as a community is to <b>be</b> a community. It's hard to have a community when people are creating more than one identity.

It's more annoying when they're not up front about it. For instance, exactly who is "Fucking Retard"? Is it slang? Why did they create this account? It's not funny. Neither is starting "new" here with Cuddles. You can never start new, because you can't erase the memories people have of you. If you got off on the wrong foot, work to fix it, or to turn impressions around. Don't be a fucking liar and hide behind a new name. We don't want people who won't be themselves.

And yes, the Xugumad/Parmenion thing was quite irritating as well.

Additionally, it artifically inflates the number of users we have here. I, for one, wouldn't mind knowing how many people were actually interested in the Cellar enough to sign up.

I don't have a problem with slang, I don't have a problem with r9. I have a problem with all these duplicate accounts.