The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 06-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #436
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I made up a recipe - it was fantastic. Wanna hear? I had it for lunch yesterday

3 oz chicken cooked diced chicken breast
1 serving barilla pasta plus
2 oz corn
asparagus
2 g parm cheese
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Italian Dressing Seasoning from Penzey's

Cook pasta until desired doneness amd drain. Blanch corn and asparagus in boiling water until asparagus is bright green and drain. Mix everything together while warm. Eat immediately or do what I did and put it in a container for the next day and eat it cold.
Attached Images

bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #437
bbro
Insert witty comment here

So I am thinking of doing the above with steak - what do you think? Will it work? What would you change?
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #438
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Came across a recipe for tamale filling, and it is also recommended for enchiladas.
As I fancied doing those in the next week or so, I'm going to give it a go.

HOWEVER
This is a completely different way of cooking pork for me.
And I can't help wondering if simmering it for 45 minutes is enough.
I suppose I wouldn't question it if it was in a stir fry or in a sauce, but being in water it seems quite a short amount of time.

Also do the flavours really permeate the meat?

I should probably just trust the recipe, but it's a lot of pork to waste if I get it wrong...

Any advice?

Quote:
Ingredients
450g (16 oz) pork shoulder roast
600ml (1 pint) water
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
8 black peppercorns
1 dried red chilli

Preparation method
1. Trim fat from pork. Cut into large pieces and place in a large saucepan. Add water, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns and chilli. Bring to the boil; skim foam from surface. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

2. Drain stock, let meat cool and shred with a fork. Refrigerate overnight if desired.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #439
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Turns out I didn't need your input you old miseries

Not serious - this is a slow moving thread, and had I been really concenered I'd have put it in Home or Nothingland.

It went well.
The meat didn't fall apart as well as I'd hoped and I was prepared for a chew-a-thon.
But of course it was only the first part of the process.
I divided the enchilada sauce between the filling and the topping and after adding onions and red & green peppers the filling was lovely and moist, the pork tender and the outside all yummy and baked with cheese & sauce.

I made 12 for 3 people, but took two in for lunch today.
I managed to eat one.
Today was stupid-hot.
Eating hot food (in both meanings of the word) doesn't work.
I'll have the other half tomorrow.
Given it was too hot to eat tea tonight I might be hungry enough to manage it!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #440
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

This is not really a recipe; it's an assembly.

Strawberry Shortcake...

...needs biscuits (in the American sense), not yellow spongecake, dangit. Needs their soda-bicarb/baking powder piquancy to balance the sweetness of the berries and whipped cream.

Equipment: mixer, paring knife, bowl for sliced strawberries.

Multiplies readily. I usually stop at a double batch of about a quart of whipping cream -- 2 pints. Don't have to, though...

Ingredients:
1 pint Whipping Cream
Double Cream, Devonshire Cream, Mexican Crema Agria, slightly thinned yoghurt, quantity sufficient to dab on, optional
3 little green baskets Strawberries, sliced to about 1/4 inch or simply halved.
1/2 C Sugar, divided -- 4-5oz castor sugar. Or use a proportion of Equal or Splenda.
Biscuits, quantity sufficient, halved flatwise. Use your preferred American biscuit recipe to make them, or buy them from a bakeshop. I use the biscuits I can get at Mexican bakeries locally -- somewhat buttery, faintly sweet. Fairly large biscuits are preferable but not necessary.

Procedure:
De-leaf and slice Strawberries. The big ones can give three or four slices. Toss in bowl with half the Sugar coat, put in fridge 30-60 minutes to marinate and exude a little juice. If other berries tempt you as well, put them in the marinating bowl with the sliced strawberries. Slice the Biscuits into flat rounds while the berries marinate in the fridge.

Whip the Cream in the mixer. When it just begins to form peaks, stream in the remaining half of the Sugar. Continue whipping until Cream forms firm peaks.

With the berries marinated, spoon them onto the biscuit halves, adding a dollop of the local interesting creams if desired. Or a touch of some liqueur. Pile whipped cream on top. May serve immediately, or may be held in fridge.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #441
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Yummy, UG. Try it with ice cream.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #442
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Lemon meringue Cake!

I'm just going to post a brag pic here. It was Mav's birthday earlier this week, and I wanted to make him a special cake so had been thinking about it for a while. His favourite desert is lemon meringue pie, so I decided to make it but as a cake.

What I did was make just a plain white cake, but a fairly dense sort of recipe because the middle layer was going to be the lemon filling, and fairly thick, so the cake would need a bit of substance in order not to collapse.

So anyway, I don't have a pic of it cut, but here's one of the finished item.

Name:  cake.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  6.2 KB

eta I'll sort the pic out. That's come up a bit small.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #443
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

mmm yummy

I think this is the best thread ever.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #444
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Tonights Dinner, from the Splendid Table . ORG

MENU
Turmeric Grilled Chicken
Potato Salad
Corn on the Cob

Turmeric Grilled Chicken

Serves 4 and doubles easily
15 minutes prep time; 4 to 24 hours for marinating; 60 minutes indirect grill time; 15 minutes rest

Grilling a whole, butterflied chicken is one of the easiest ways to cook for a crowd. In this recipe, shallots, garlic, red chiles, turmeric and salt are combined into a pungent paste that makes the bird as beautiful as it is tasty. Be sure to add some of the paste under the skin for an added kick when you cut into the chicken.

This is our managing producer Sally Swift's spin on a recipe from Food & Wine magazine featuring hunky Chef Pete Evans, author of My Grill: Outdoor Cooking Australian Style (Weldon Owen; reprint edition May, 2011).

Wine: Pair this earthy chicken with a lightly chilled Grenache-based wine like Côtes du Rhône from the southern Rhone Valley.
4 medium shallots, peeled
12 garlic cloves, peeled
3 fresh red jalapeño or long red Asian chiles, seeded, if desired, for less heat
3-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
4-pound chicken, butterflied
3 fresh limes
1. Up to a day ahead, combine the shallots, garlic, jalapeño, ginger, turmeric, oil, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and puree into a thick paste.

2. Place the chicken in a large dish and smear it with the paste, making sure to thickly coat both sides, and slipping some under the skin. Cover loosely and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.

3. Heat coals in an outdoor grill until they're covered in grey ash, or heat a gas grill on medium-high. Set up the grill for indirect cooking, with the coals spread out around the circumference of the grill, leaving an empty spot in the middle.

4. Place the butterflied chicken, bone side down, over the empty space in the middle of the grill. Cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes, checking occasionally, and adding more coals if the fire is burning too fast. You want to cook the chicken most of the way through on the bone side before turning. The bird should be nicely charred on the bottom.

5. Turn the bird carefully and continue cooking until the skin is nicely browned and crisp, and the internal temperature measures 170°F on an instant-reading thermometer, about 15 to 25 minutes more.

6. Carefully remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Cut the bird into pieces and drizzle with generous squeezes of fresh lime juice.

Potato Salad
Reprinted with permission from Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes by Andrea Reusing (Clarkson Potter, 2011). Copyright © 2011 by Andrea Reusing.

Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish
1/3 cup champagne vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1-1/2 pounds (about 8) medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1. Whisk together the vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste, the sugar, and both oils in a small bowl. Add the onion and toss to coat.

2. Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water; add a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 12 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife but are still firm.

3. Drain the potatoes, and as soon as they are cool enough to handle, rub the skins off by using a clean tea towel or peel them with a sharp paring knife.

4. Slice the potatoes into 1/3-inch-thick slices and put in a large bowl. Pour the onion mixture over the warm potatoes and combine gently with your hands. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt if necessary.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 07-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #445
TheMercenary

OMG, that chicken and potato salad ROCKED!! we used new potatoes, 0 calories, 0 fat.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #446
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary
we used new potatoes, 0 calories, 0 fat.
I'm sorry, what? Each potato serving alone had 30-60 calories, and then there's this part:

Quote:
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons walnut oil
Granted, since there was no mayo it's considerably better than most potato salads... but if it truly had zero calories it would not have tasted like much at all.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #447
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm sorry, what? Each potato serving alone had 30-60 calories, and then there's this part:
BOO! BOO! I like the 0 calories and 0 fat part.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #448
TheMercenary

The nutritional package statement said 80 calories and 0 fat. Sorry, my error..... I was just talking about the potatoes.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #449
TheMercenary

Attached Images

Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #450
wolf
lobber of scimitars

POG Soup

No, not little cardboard milk cap things.

6 Potatoes (I used russets, but you could use pretty much any type)

1 Sweet Onion

5 Cloves of Garlic

Water to cover potatoes

Tablespoon of butter.

Peel and dice the potatoes. Add enough water to cover and boil until tender. Drain, reserving the potato water.

While the potatoes are cooking, finely dice the onion.

In the potato pot ... throw in the butter, use more if you think it needs it, add the diced onion, stirring frequently until caramelized.

While the onion is cooking,

Peel and dice 5 cloves of garlic. When the onions are just about done, add the garlic. Let that cook a bit and return 1/2 to 2/3 of the potatoes, depending on how chunky you want it to be at the finish.

Let that heat up a bit, and then mush it all together ... do it however you like, handmasher, mixer, or throw it all in a food processor if you want to have to clean up more stuff.

Add the potato water back in until you get the consistency you want.

Pour in the rest of the potatoes.

Fantastic on it's own, mindblowing with a handful of cheese thrown into it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes