The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 AM   #46
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by smalland
I don't have to point out the increadible irony of that comment, do I?..
No, because a) it's not ironic and b) there's no such word as "increadible".
Old 04-14-2003, 07:51 AM   #47
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
because a) it's not ironic
Then try harder.

Let me ask you this much, totally honestly: Why do the protesters think war is so bad?
smalland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:07 AM   #48
dave

Because they're sheep and buy the party line?

If you endanger the lives of the United States military, you are a really dumb person. That's why there was such a show of force at breaking up this demonstration. Again, I got no sympathy. I've got a friend somewhere over there and I want to make sure he's well supplied to do his job so he can get the fuck back and start posting to the Cellar again. Anyone that puts that at risk, well, I've got no sympathy for you.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:20 AM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Anyone that puts that at risk, well, I've got no sympathy for you
YES !
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 AM   #50
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Because they're sheep and buy the party line?
Possibly, though I don't think that's a very persuasive argument about what's happening here in England.

Quote:
If you endanger the lives of the United States military, you are a really dumb person. That's why there was such a show of force at breaking up this demonstration. Again, I got no sympathy. I've got a friend somewhere over there and I want to make sure he's well supplied to do his job so he can get the fuck back and start posting to the Cellar again. Anyone that puts that at risk, well, I've got no sympathy for you.
I appreciate the personal nature of your support for the military. However, I doubt your concern for saving lives (and hence moral outrage at the protesters) is going to make the boy who's lost his family and had his arms blown off feel more relieved (for example).
Old 04-14-2003, 08:29 AM   #51
juju
no one of consequence

Yup, it's ironic.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:40 AM   #52
Leus
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
[b][...]because obviously you don't get to that position without some skills.[...]
I can't help myself think about "kingdoms" and the such...
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:40 AM   #53
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by smalland
I appreciate the personal nature of your support for the military. However, I doubt your concern for saving lives (and hence moral outrage at the protesters) is going to make the boy who's lost his family and had his arms blown off feel more relieved (for example).
Hey man, you're welcome for 1945 and 1918. I'm really sorry about 1776 though. And 1812. Really.

Did, uh, any civilians get killed in WWII? I can think of about six million of 'em just off the top of my head...

If I've got to pick between some fugly bitch that went to protest by <b>interfering with the shipment of goods to soldiers overseas</b> and a man that has sworn to defend me at all costs, even if it means <b>turning his wife into a widow</b>... that's no choice at all.

I appreciate protest, and if you'd done your homework, you'd know that I was never sold on this war. I am as skeptical as any rational being is about it. But interfering with military business in the time of war is about as smart as running in to Harlem with a sign that says "I Hate Niggers". You are just <b>asking</b> to get shot.

There is a fine line, and I recommend that protestors respect that. They're able to voice their dissent because better men have sacrificed themselves for the good of the world.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:04 AM   #54
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Bravo, Dave. And I would also like to go on record as saying that, although I was not 100% sold on the war, I am 100% sold on getting done what we set out to do and getting our people the hell out of Iraq. People who interfere with shipments of military materiel are attempting to screw up that process, and hence should expect to get hurt in the process. Their choice.

Now, can we all just get on with the business of wondering if GWB is going to just keep on chasing Saddam right into Syria? I will be even more dubious (Dubyaous?) of that possibility than I was of the current military excursion.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:53 PM   #55
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Hey man, you're welcome for 1945 and 1918. I'm really sorry about 1776 though. And 1812. Really.
Look, I have total respect for FDR. But for the moment I'll side-step this complete red herring and point out that it was precisely after WWII that most of the world (<i>including</i> the USA, or should I say <i>particularly</i>?) decided that fighting each other was not the best way to go about sorting out our differences.

Oh, and while we're thanking each other, you could start by thanking those pesky French for your constitution.

Quote:
There is a fine line, and I recommend that protestors respect that. They're able to voice their dissent because better men have sacrificed themselves for the good of the world.
"better men", "the good of the world"? A wee bit self-righteous, don't you think?
Old 04-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #56
dave

Quote:
"better men", "the good of the world"? A wee bit self-righteous, don't you think?
self-righteous? Huh? Like the hundreds of thousands of British and Americans that joined to defeat Hitler?

I did jack shit. It's hardly self-righteous. What it's called is <b>respect</b> and <b>thanks</b> for the men who didn't come home, that I can sit here and be an asshole without fear of being executed for having an unpopular opinion. If anything, I'd call your attitude self-righteous, for not recognizing the sacrifice many <b>better</b> men have made before you.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:42 PM   #57
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

OK, dave, you go on discussing WWII and your interpretation of what it taught us about war.

In the meantime, I'm sorry if I thought we were talking about the very current war. (only half sarcastic)

Cheers,
D
Old 04-14-2003, 02:53 PM   #58
dave

My sincerest apologies that you were unable to comprehend the fact that I was talking about prior wars which supported freedom of speech. (completely sarcastic)
Old 04-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Oh, and while we're thanking each other, you could start by thanking those pesky French for your constitution.
No, thank the Iroquois Confederacy.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:32 PM   #60
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
My sincerest apologies that you were unable to comprehend the fact that I was talking about prior wars which supported freedom of speech. (completely sarcastic)
Itt saddens me that although you value free speech so highly, (which I completely agree with,) my dissenting voice was attacked ad hominem. Very ironic (yes, it really is,) since I'm not actually from England, as you so easily presumed, merely studying "here". It has been interesting and depressing to run with that, and discover how you so quickly (and with flare) beat your fellow American over the head because of his presumed country of origin, almost completely failing to engage the logic of any rational argument that was presented.

I do hope not all dissenting voices are treated like this back home.

D (for depressed?)
PS: My grandfather, one of the truely "better men", did fight in the war. Luckily he survived, and his stories haunt me to this day...