The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I own a Creche

I do. The only reason I bought it/display it is because it is the whole creche scene depicted as if a Native American woman gave birth to the One True Lord.

First time I ever saw Baby Jesus as a Native American, complete with Indian blanket, beaded headband and entire North American zoo about him. I like it.

I also have Christmas lights up, a tree decorated in Christmas candy and lots of fairy lights strung up in the house.

Plus, my Chanukkah bear.

I like this time of year.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
glatt

I normally like this time of year, but this year has been too hectic at work and at home. This week should be the worst of it. Next week should be better.

At least I just finished my Christmas shopping yesterday.

The Native American creche sounds cool. I think it's kind of funny. I've never seen a Mid-East/Arab creche before. That's what they should all look like if they are trying to go for accuracy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've got a framed printout of an image of a reindeer I found on the web. I cut a hole in the back of the frame, and put a blinking red light behind its nose.

It's hanging oustide my cubicle.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I have as friends a couple who put out a manger scene each year with a large plastic T-Rex in place of Jesus.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
glatt

I was at home for Christmas one year and watched as one of the kids in a family I used to babysit years before, but who was probably in high school that year, stole a cow from another neighbor's creche scene in their front yard.

The weird thing about it was that I saw it happen while sitting in my parents' dining room with my dad and brothers. My dad mentioned casually during the theft that these neighbors had been complaining that someone was stealing a piece of the creche each day for the last few days. We all watched as this kid went tearing across our yard, right past our dining room window, heading for his house. He had the cow under his arm. Then we went on with the day as if nothing happened. Nobody even mentioned what they has seen when my mother told us with sadness later that the neighbors took their creche down, because they were tired with having pieces stolen.

I sometimes look back at that and ponder the whole situation. The easy thing was to do nothing, which is what I did. I could have dropped a dime on the kid, but I wasn't sure which of two boys had done it. I also didn't know either family very well any longer, so to get involved would have taken a lot of effort. "Hey remember me? Yeah, well I saw you stealing something. Or maybe it was your brother. Return it or I'll tell your parents." The boy was playing a prank, not like he was mugging people. And the creche was really a tacky one anyway, so I wouldn't miss it. But it was a theft, and I did witness it. Mostly, I thought it was my dad's duty to speak up, because he lived there.

Anyway, I've heard that when someone needs help in a crowded area, they often don't get the help they need because everyone there assumes someone else will do it. But if someone needs help when only a single person is nearby, that person will always help. I think it's true for dropping dimes on kids too.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
lumberpoet
forsooth

what's a creche?
is it some type of feesh?
all i can say is sheesh
not much ryhmes with creche
Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

John Tesh
Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
glatt

Phil Lesh
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Bangladesh
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Crescent Fresh
Bangladesh
(hic!) I'm a mesh! (HIC)
Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
lumberpoet
forsooth

so, now i know how to pronounce it
you guys are cold whack fashizz
and yet, that doesn't really mean shit
cuz I asked you what it is

nevermind, i googled it
just to prove i'm no idiot
Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Dear lumberpoet:

You're right! You did ask "what is" and not "what rhymes with..." Why did you get the responses you did? Maybe the hook at the end was strong enough to keep your constant readers from noticing the question. Or the urge to correct your mispronounciation was stronger than the desire to answer your question, perhaps. Maybe we non-googling idiots only know how to say it and not what it is. Mysterious...
Old 12-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #13
lumberpoet
forsooth

master of the obvious, our bigV
always eager, hand up, waving
the thread stops cold, dwellars flee
the poem flame this thread's saving
Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #14
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberpoet
nevermind, i googled it
just to prove i'm no idiot
Those two lines conflict
Opposites they dipict
Old 12-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #15
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwennie!
Those two lines conflict
Opposites they dipict
An idiot wouldn't be able to find the answer on his own and probably wouldn't look. Google can cure many ignorances.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote