The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

CyberBully

Thousands turn to cyberbully site

Quote:
A new website set up to help people being cyberbullied has already prompted tens of thousands of children to look for help.

Cybermentors.org.uk is thought to be the first website in the world where help for victims comes from others their own age through instant messaging and online videos.

Newsbeat went to meet 13-year-old Georgia Woods who, with her mobile phone, laptop and the cuddly toys on her bed is like most other girls her age.

But six months ago it was a different story when she was being picked on by cyberbullies through her mobile, by email and on websites.

She said: "You don't feel like you're safe anywhere. You come home and they can still contact you.

"You go out with your friends and they can still get to you. It made me feel worthless and so down I even thought about taking my own life."

And it wasn't just Georgia's life that was affected, Sarah-Jane's mum felt the pressure too.

She said: "It makes you cry. My whole world, and her dad's, just fell apart."

More than 23,000 people have now logged on to the website.

A series of graphic adverts illustrating teen suicide are also being launched to warn of the dangers of cyberbullying.
Somebody call the Whaaambulance!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman
Somebody call the Whaaambulance!
Clearly you were never bullied, or at least not by a girl. Girl bullying is completely different from boy bullying.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
sugarpop
Professor

You know, anything that will eliminate bullies in the world is fine by me. Bullies suck. And kids are fragile little creatures.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fuck classic, they're kids. Kids being bullied and made to feel shit about themselves. Whaaambulance indeed. *rolls eyes*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Clearly you were never bullied, or at least not by a girl. Girl bullying is completely different from boy bullying.
Oh really? please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Fuck classic, they're kids. Kids being bullied and made to feel shit about themselves. Whaaambulance indeed. *rolls eyes*
the Whaaambulance was for her mother's comment.
Quote:
She said: "It makes you cry. My whole world, and her dad's, just fell apart."
I think thats being A LOT dramatic. But ...
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Then you clearly havent been parent to a child whose entire childhood is being blighted by something you are powerless to effect. You don't think watching your child shrink into a shadow of herself and start to want to die might break your heart a little? Really?

I know my mum had sleepless night and sleepless night and I know her heart broke for me a thousand times. Christ, her and dad spent more time in my fucking school than I did some years.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

some folks are out there LOOKING to be victims.

just sayin'
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
some folks are out there LOOKING to be victims.

just sayin'
I'm always shocked when I see stuff like this from you, Jim. I think of you as a nice guy - wacky but fun. Then stuff like this comes along and completely floors me. It shows such a lack of empathy/compassion that the mind boggles.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
I'm always shocked when I see stuff like this from you, Jim. I think of you as a nice guy - wacky but fun. Then stuff like this comes along and completely floors me. It shows such a lack of empathy/compassion that the mind boggles.
He's being a dick on purpose. I ignore him.

Classic, I flew off the handle. I retract the harshness, but reiterate my judgment on your lack of empathy.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Hey stop that. He gets to set the bar here.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
well....dar.....that's where you're coloring in your own opinions of what kind of person I am. and you too, Pie...

that statement is, in my opinion, accurate. there ARE people out there that take satisfaction from being victimized. they need/want the compassion that they get from it.....it's passive aggression. munchausen(sp?) whatever...

I have no idea if the example used in this post is that aspect, or a legit victim. irrelevant to my point.

...the only reason i pointed it out at all was because there is a fucking website for someone to sell advertising on (mention of which made it into the article/advert, oddly enough).....is, most likely, the real reason for it's existence. opportunistic profiteering on the victimization of those 'poor poor teens' who can't step away from the computer, ignore text messages etc etc...

the website encourages a victim mentality. they benefit from it.

now call me a shit some more

i think you're full of yourself and overestimate the value of your so called honor. and i am seldom floored by it. or boggled.

i still love you though, cock.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
...the only reason i pointed it out at all was because there is a fucking website for someone to sell advertising on (mention of which made it into the article/advert, oddly enough).....is, most likely, the real reason for it's existence. opportunistic profiteering on the victimization of those 'poor poor teens' who can't step away from the computer, ignore text messages etc etc...

the website encourages a victim mentality. they benefit from it.
What usually encourages a serious victim mentality is personality, combined with dehumanizing physical, sexual, or emotional abuse, neglect, or other serious adverse events during childhood.

it doesn't really come from websites

If somebody has worked out a way for a supportive caring atmosphere to make money, I salute them! I think that being relentlessly bullied for a year helped to turn my panic disorder into social anxiety disorder, but I'd never know without serious therapy. Oh well!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
well....dar.....that's where you're coloring in your own opinions of what kind of person I am. and you too, Pie...
Possibly. Here's what you said: "some folks are out there LOOKING to be victims. just sayin'"

The subtext I heard was "... so they deserve whatever they get."

If that's not the statement you intended to make, then I'm confused as to why you brought up the point.

Quote:
i think you're full of yourself
Because I try to act ethically and I speak out against unethical behavior? Does that equal stuck-up to you?

Quote:
overestimate the value of your so called honor.
I don't think it is possible to overestimate ethical behavior. It is the basis for trust.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Possibly. Here's what you said: "some folks are out there LOOKING to be victims. just sayin'"

I think you should think about why you heard a subtext that isn't there. "Deserve whatever they get" is a judgment and not what we're talking about at all. Acknowledging the roles we play in the events in our own lives isn't about judgment, it's about learning, growing, being safe etc...
I can believe that rape is bad and rapists are always at fault and still teach my daughter that she is responsible for her own safety.

If you only address half the problem, you're gonna get a half-assed solution (see Mercs article).
Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

If that's not the statement you intended to make, then I'm confused as to why you brought up the point.
so you heard what you expected to hear, and assumed my intent. I already clarified this point, but once more.....SOME people are looking to play victim. as for why I brought it up....it was because the victim DOES play a role in bullying.....and no one had mentioned that yet. hence.....discussion. until you began casting personal aspersions about. yes you...

jinx pointed out something interesting to me...

notice how all of the people that have said they were bullied have lashed out inappropriately at one person or another? sheldon is glad someone is DEAD? wtf?

Quote:
Because I try to act ethically and I speak out against unethical behavior? Does that equal stuck-up to you?
no...it's not because of WHAT you say...it's HOW you say it. condescending tone that implies your superior sense of honor......constantly. and what behavior of mine was unethical in this thread? I have been making an effort lately to NOT bully or personally insult people unless they go first. you have not noticed this, i expect.....

Quote:
I don't think it is possible to overestimate ethical behavior. It is the basis for trust.
i agree with that.

Tags
bullying