The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #9676
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I hear what you're saying about at will employment as it pertains to labor law. I don't hear you recognizing that most at will employers have policies requiring advance notice of resignation without which they may not give you a favorable reference and they may bar you from ever working for them again, meaning at all of their locations everywhere, their affiliates, and possibly employer contracted organizations.

Your orientation was done to meet regulatory and insurance requirements in addition to avoiding lawsuits (perceived discrimination or other) arising from employees' interactions. Charitable work is tax deductible eye candy for internal propaganda and external advertising. If they simply have sloppy management right now, it's because they got what they paid for and simply couldn't afford better.

If the safety glasses are free and you don't have to work there for a specified period so the cost won't be taken out of your paycheck, get them before you quit. That may be the only compensation you get for all the aggravation they're causing you now and may cause you in the future. That's also your interest on the late paychecks.

Of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate now. You're the person embedded in the situation. You have all the insights. You have all the answers. You're also the one who hasn't been paid; so, I think I'll stick with playing devil's advocate. Good luck.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #9677
monster
I hear them call the tide

ha. The commute's a little far for me, but I'd take it. I'd get paid too. In blood if necessary

If you started on the 2nd, I wouldn't expect the first payday to be earlier than the 17th. Which was yesterday. You get paid on Fridays? And is it definitely every week? Almost everything here pays two-weekly. And on Thursdays. if you started a job on the 2nd here (a Thursday) and got paid by the 16th, you'd be bloody lucky. It usually takes a couple of weeks to get the direct deposit set up.

Have you checked with the other workers to confirm when pay is deposited and asked them how long it took for they pay to get set up?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #9678
Nirvana
Back in 10

Sexobon first I do appreciate your advice I have a 56 page handbook this is their written out policy...
Employment At Will

Unless otherwise stated in writing and signed by the CEO associates are not hired for any specific length of time. This means any associate or XXXX [company name] may terminate employment AT ANY TIME, for any reason with or without cause.

They also say they are committed to providing competitive wages

The safety glasses are not entirely free, they pay most of the cost, they do not pay the cost of an eye exam and my eyes are bad so my prescription also runs over the cost of what I am allowed. They will cost me $96 out of pocket. While I may not quit if they don't pay me tomorrow I felt good saying it. I don't have to have this job that is my luxury. I am asset rich and cash poor but I consider a cow a liquid asset I won't starve. I am just angry that the whole experience working for them so far is tainted now and them potentially saying sorry doesn't really fix it for me.

Monster pay is weekly [weakly] I was surprised by this as well because most companies are as you say.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #9679
Nirvana
Back in 10

I forgot to say I asked other employees about pay and how it was set up and no one ever said they were not paid in accordance to what the policy states [one week in arrears] I also asked what time of day pay was in their accounts. 6 hours after that quoted time, mine was not there so I knew I was screwed. Oh and to make matters fun Monday is a holiday yay!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #9680
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You may be complaining about a system that counted on one particular employee not taking a vacation.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #9681
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That's really odd.
The payment schedule I mean. Only one job in my whole lifetime has paid fortnightly, the rest have been monthly (unless they were cash, ie Saturday jobs, which were then paid weekly).

It's funny the things you don't even realise are so different from place to place.

Oh, it was casually dropped into conversation today that my days off are changing. Again.
Tuesday and Saturday now.
Not that it's been mentioned officially. The person who draws up the rota is off on Sundays. But the colleague who requested a change in her days off has had it confirmed and was told I'd be covering for her.
I think she was a little embarrassed when I was cross about it.
I did reassure her it wasn't her fault (although she is the sort of person who should think before she speaks more often).

So tomorrow I really am going to raise the issue of common courtesy.
ASK me first.
I will almost definitely always say yes, and with good grace.
But don't bloody well assume.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-19-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #9682
Nirvana
Back in 10

UT that was the excuse given for me not being paid on Jan 10th I can't wait to hear the new excuse. Venting here is helpful because I am German and you can tell a German but you can't tell em much. [/temper tantrum]

Common courtesy is certainly lacking in many aspects of life Sundae. As a courteous person it is hard to understand those that are not.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #9683
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae
The payment schedule I mean. Only one job in my whole lifetime has paid fortnightly, the rest have been monthly (unless they were cash, ie Saturday jobs, which were then paid weekly).
Mr. Clod used to have a job where they paid every 2 weeks, and this caused all sorts of havoc for him because in the US, child support is ordered to be withdrawn automatically from your paycheck. The child support payments were monthly, and periodically there would be three paychecks in a month, so they were perpetually over- or under-drawing from his paycheck, and then he'd have to get on the phone together with his HR department and a state worker for up to an hour, trying to get the problem corrected. He wasn't allowed to just write them a check for the correct amount, because the system inherently assumes dads are untrustworthy.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #9684
monster

but mostly the third payday in a month is a bonus. Shame it doesn't happen more often. A financial blue moon.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #9685
Nirvana
Back in 10

My horoscope for today as it pertains to this thread made me laff

There is good financial news coming your way. If you are looking for work, it is a good day to set aside time to polish your resume. If you are working, volunteer to take on a new responsibility. If you are in business for yourself, you could get new clients today.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #9686
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That wasn't in the company paper was it?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #9687
Nirvana
Back in 10

Ha ha Bruce If they have a newsletter they send out, I will never get it. When I got to work I got a "live" check that has an incorrect mailing address for me and they shorted me 4 hours pay

Since I could not really look at the check until I got home [2nd shift] I will have to again call HR 'if' the company is open tomorrow, we are on the edge of a 1-2ft lake effect snow dump
Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #9688
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And tell them the snow will continue until you've been properly compensated.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #9689
monster

Did they have the check there waiting for you, or did they cut it when you went in to see them? At least you got a check and quickly!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #9690
monster

(do you think they had mailed one to the wrong address?)

Tags
swiss