The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Thanksgiving

What is everybody doing? We are having about 30 people over to our house for 4 days. Should be fun. Mostly family with some friends as well. Tuesday tap the keg, barbeque. Weds Low Country Boil. Thurs two 16 pound Deep Fried Turkey's. Friday leftovers. Sat lunch and then everyone will depart except for a few hanger-ons... Anyone else?

Last edited by TheMercenary; 11-18-2007 at 06:55 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
binky
all hollowed out

Just a few friends should be nice and relaxing as long as all the kids behave
Old 11-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Cloud

Ignoring the whole thing as much as possible. Too many years of doing the whole cleaning, cooking, and more cleaning thing, and crying myself silly afterwards have ruined it fo rme.

Not worth it.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

We're going to LJs mother's house, as usual. I've been asked to not make the soup course (like I usually do) becuase everyone is "too full" for dinner.
I'm very pissy about this and might just boycott the whole stupid ridiculous holiday.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
We're going to LJs mother's house, as usual. I've been asked to not make the soup course (like I usually do) becuase everyone is "too full" for dinner.
I'm very pissy about this and might just boycott the whole stupid ridiculous holiday.
Take a huge bottle of alka setzer and pass them around, saying "the soup I make lines your stomach and does you a favor by preventing you from eating too much greasy main course and sugary dessert. This year I've been asked not to bring it, so I guess you'll all be needing these....."
Old 11-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

My girlfriend and I are cooking Thanksgiving on the 25th. Her parents will be arriving from various parts (Maryland and Sweden) to visit.

Apparently, her father hasn't had a "real" Thanksgiving dinner in decades. So, we're going to give him one.

It should be fun, even in a time of way too much school-related stress.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Michaela
Lively Girl

Having dinner with my family. There are only3 of us (siblings) and the respective S.O.'s so it'll be nice and quiet.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

Brit friends from LI visiting. Big teenage boys. .

I have a big turkey
Old 11-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wednesday night: Opening/closing band, Rev. Bob Levy/WYSP comedy show at Gilbertsville fire hall

Thursday: dinner at J's brother's place

Saturday: dinner II here with katkeeper

Monday: J's birthday
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

We're going to my mother-in-law's house. I'm threatening to make my world-famous sweet potato pie.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Going to my grandmother's house, two hours away, for an afternoon turkey lunch with my grandparents, my aunt and her family, and my dad, stepmom, and brothers.
I am currently working at the mall while I finish my degree, so the rest of the weekend will be:
Black Friday: work (NOOOOoooo....)
Saturday: work
Sunday: work
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

For the first time since I was born, no family thing for Thanksgiving. My younger brother and his family always visit her family in Michigan. In the past few years, we all went to my older brother's house. Just found out older brother's family is going to her family way south of here. (As brother said "Listen, woman. This is the way it is. We are going to do what YOU want whether you like it or not." He was joking.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to cooking at home, just a little. The ex b/f (aka Homeless Guy Who Is Staying With Me After His House Burnt Down) was going to do that, now it will be 2 of us.

May get some movies from the library and just have a day of it. Then again, if we can scrape up some cash and something decent is playing, maybe we'll go to the movies.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

This made me LOL

Man's Thanksgiving:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
What is everybody doing? We are having about 30 people over to our house for 4 days. Should be fun. Mostly family with some friends as well. Tuesday tap the keg, barbeque. Weds Low Country Boil. Thurs two 16 pound Deep Fried Turkey's. Friday leftovers. Sat lunch and then everyone will depart except for a few hanger-ons... Anyone else?
Woman's Thanksgiving:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Ignoring the whole thing as much as possible. Too many years of doing the whole cleaning, cooking, and more cleaning thing, and crying myself silly afterwards have ruined it fo rme.

Not worth it.
When stuff like this is no longer true, then we may sneer at political correctness.

Me? I'll be trying to pretend I give a damn about some festival I've never celebrated back home, because my language school often flirts with American culture. I will also have to get four four-year-old Japanese kids to make stupid cut-out turkeys from cardboard. Which is better than last year when I was supposed to get some nine year olds to make play-dough Easter eggs and bunnies when all they wanted to make were multi-colored turds.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm gonna spend the day making these:
Attached Images

Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I am cooking a boneless skinless turkey breast and a couple of fixins for me and my boyfriend. Then, some friends are coming over later in the night and I am planning on making my pumpkin pie and mummy's famous apple pie. With wine of course.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote