The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Hotels Get Smart, Remove Bibles

http://www.luxist.com/2007/11/18/lux...ose-the-bible/

Quote:
We've seen a lot of hotel trends over the years, plasma TVs, the rise of free wi-fi, pillow butlers, in-room fitness equipment and all sorts of adjustments as hotels adapt to the greening of America but the latest might just be the disappearance of an old favorite. ABC News has a story on the fact that luxury hotels are ditching the tradition of the Bible tucked in the bedside drawer.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Some of the comments with this article are gold.

Quote:
I will be asking if the bible is provided as it has been in the past when I phone to reserve my room. If the hotel responds NO....I will book with another hotel that does include the bible in the room. These bibles have been provided FREE of charge by The Gideons. There is NO good reason to remove the bible from the hotel rooms.
Quote:
I will certainly put that on my prerequisite list when searching for a hotel. Those places can be risky enough without leaving out the most important thing in your life...your religion.
Shit, people are strange. The room sleeps the same with or without the book in the drawer -- they'll get over it. It's not like these same people that feel this uncomfortable about a room without a bible in it (gasp!) don't have their own they carry with them when they travel.

But, dammit, where am I supposed to hide my cash during hotel stays, now? Next thing you know, they'll be removing the hidden stash of booze business travelers leave in the toilet tank on checkout.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

I don't see the point in removing it. It does no harm being there and can come in useful either as a spiritual guide for those who walk that path, or as a handy supply of emergency paper for the rest of us.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Anything else that is... donated... by a passer-through is removed.

And I don't think that "remove" is really the right word. I don't think most Gideon Bibles are actually left behind after a stay anymore; a better way to put it is "stop helping the Gideons distribute them".

People who can't sleep without a Bible nearby probably have one already; Gideon Bibles are a form of prostelyzation.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
glatt

But the kids won't understand the lyrics to Rocky Raccoon any more if they are removed.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Cloud

the debbil will enter through their ears in their sleep if there's no bible in there.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Michaela
Lively Girl

I don't read anyway when in a hotel room so....
Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I don't see the point in removing it. It does no harm being there and can come in useful either as a spiritual guide for those who walk that path, or as a handy supply of emergency paper for the rest of us.
As long as you feel the same say about LaVey's Satanic Bible.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I've noticed over the past few years that many hotels have been ditching the minibars, and even the minifridges altogether. Now that's a real shame. Not only do I not get to pop open a beer or champagne split immediately upon entering my room, I also have nowhere to put my leftover delivery pizza.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When I lived in Leicester my parents stayed at the Holiday Inn - ludicrous prices, but they had Clubcard points from supermarket shopping so it was free.

There was a notice in the minibar that said any drink removed would be charged unless the occupent could prove it was later replaced. It's a pressure sensitive automatic billing system. My Mum - very respectful of authority - wanted to phone up Reception and ask if they culd use the fridge anyway. I said, "God, no Mum - they'll only feed you some line because it's more trouble for them! Just take all the stuff out like you usually do and pretend you didn't see the sign. They'll be plenty of idiots who genuinely didn't, they must have a way to process it!"

So they put their supermarket lunch fixings and alcohol in the fridge as usual and didn't consume anything provided by the hotel. Sure nuff it wasn't a problem. Although if I know Mum she would really have hammed it up at the desk
Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
As long as you feel the same say about LaVey's Satanic Bible.
sure, why not? no one can force you to read what is sitting in a drawer. if some group wants to raise the money needed and build the infrastructure to donate the texts i have no problem with them sitting in a drawer waiting for someone who is interested in reading them. i don't see it as any different than all the little flyers you find in a hotel lobby area showing local attractions.

i honestly don't see what the big deal is either way. if a hotel owner wants to put them there, cool. if not, cool. i book my hotels based on the quality of the property, proximity to my reason for visiting, and price - in that order. the contents of the nightstand drawer don't enter into the equation.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've stayed in Marriott's a couple of times in recent years. Their drawers contain a Gideon Bible (KJV), a Book of Mormon, and The Book of Marriott.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Ibby
erika

I feel...
Much, much better now.

Someone lemme know if he gets less annoying, 'kay?
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
rkzenrage

Chickenshit #2
He announced it... LOL!!! what a baby.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I've stayed in Marriott's a couple of times in recent years. Their drawers contain a Gideon Bible (KJV), a Book of Mormon, and The Book of Marriott.
Looks like a good read. I liked the Home Depot one.