The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Happy Father's Day

What do I want?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
A Hungry Mind
Hmmm... . . . glucose?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
What do I want?
Extra battery for your digital camera so you can have a charged spare always handy?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
lizzymahoney
Major Inhabitant

I know the punchline!

A steak and a BJ?
lizzymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Cloud

oooh, me too!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm gonna wreck my own thread. Too bad too, since I launched it in earnest.

I quit.

I need a break. This will be a bad weekend for me. It's been shaping up all week. A bad week, (nevermind) it's coming.

I miss my dad. Both of them, including my stepdad. They're with me every day. I talk to them all the time. I just don't feel comforted by them now. I don't feel them close like I used to.

Love and respect. These two men, E and W, are responsible for my life in several ways, literally and figuratively. There is no one in my life I love and respect more than my fathers. I miss them terribly. They've been gone for years now. I need them still. I use what they have given me, to the best of my ability, and I am still wanting. I am still lacking, still failing.

I just want to catch a break. A time out. I feel chagrined that I struggle with my life. Why? It is complicated. My challenges are far less than what theirs were. My options are far greater. I have many tools and techniques and resources unimaginable to them. But I don't' have any memory of them struggling like I am struggling. I don't have any idea how they overcame the disadvantages they faced. I don't know what they used, what was in them that is not in me that got them through. I am not the man they were. And that makes me feel very very sad.

I have so many advantages, yet I flounder and suffer and fail. Perhaps suffer is not the right word. It is more correct for me to say "feel pain" than suffer. But there's a lot of pain.

I miss my dad.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ah BigV.
That made me cry.

All I can say to you is that you are that man to your daughter.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

I'm trying to work out my relationship with my Dad. Telling the truth, as I see it, brings out a lovely passive aggressive streak in him. Honestly, right now I think my brother was the smart one getting far far away. It is mostly about religion and politics which are one in the same to him. The Church is apparently perfect and I need to be submissive. The world is black and white and I'm getting darker. We got along very well until my overtly religous sister moved back into town and got him going to worship in the middle of the night. There is a local right wing Catholic group that goes for this front of the church nonsense and a lot of religio/political stuff that I'd consider un er Christian. On the upside, the Church is just about dead here so maybe we'll let the nutters have it to themselves.

I almost never saw my Dad as a kid, since he was a second shift over-time addict. Now I have him at my kitchen table taking jabs at me most mornings and it is getting difficult. Oh well, I just got a call for another interview maybe I can go nuts on the work front and make myself scarce. musical interlude The cats in the cradle and the silver spoon little boy blue and the man on the moon. When you coming home...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Ah BigV.
That made me cry.

All I can say to you is that you are that man to your daughter.
thank you. you made my day.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I'm trying to work out my relationship with my Dad. Telling the truth, as I see it, brings out a lovely passive aggressive streak in him. Honestly, right now I think my brother was the smart one getting far far away. It is mostly about religion and politics which are one in the same to him. The Church is apparently perfect and I need to be submissive. The world is black and white and I'm getting darker. We got along very well until my overtly religous sister moved back into town and got him going to worship in the middle of the night. There is a local right wing Catholic group that goes for this front of the church nonsense and a lot of religio/political stuff that I'd consider un er Christian. On the upside, the Church is just about dead here so maybe we'll let the nutters have it to themselves.

I almost never saw my Dad as a kid, since he was a second shift over-time addict. Now I have him at my kitchen table taking jabs at me most mornings and it is getting difficult. Oh well, I just got a call for another interview maybe I can go nuts on the work front and make myself scarce. musical interlude The cats in the cradle and the silver spoon little boy blue and the man on the moon. When you coming home...
Oh Griff...

there's so much here for me to process, but your closer is HUGE.

my friend...

I won't presume to tell you your business, to tell you what to do...But for me? That song's lyrics stand as a cautionary tale as potent as Moses holding forth from the mountain. I have lived my life accordingly. In fact, you and I have been in sympatico wrt song lyrics for a long time.

my heart goes out to you my friend.

my thoughts and words are a conflicting train wreck in my head. if something good/reconizable emerges when it comes to a stop, I'll share it then.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I don't really know what to say either. Your post had a big impact on me. I do know that you are a wonderful person, Griff, from what I know from here. Bless you.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
jester
why so serious

Happy Father's Day to all of you who are.

To Big V - just from reading some of your other posts you seem like such a sincere and caring person. I'm very sorry for your loss, when people make such an impact on the individuals around them, it is very hard to let them go. You probably learned so much more than you realize - which has shaped you to be the man you are.

The Cats & the cradle song - makes me cry everytime i hear it - because it does show how much we miss when we put "stuff" in front of our children.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks guys. I think it'll blow over if I can set some boundaries. He is lost since Mom died. She always kept him squared away, but without her nobody can tell him when to apply the brakes. It doesn't help that his memory is failing, something I denied for the longest time... Anyway, I'm sure we'll both work it out, if not with our Dads at least with our kids.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're right Griff, boundaries. He has to accept, while you are still his son, you are a man, not a child... even if you have to hand him a foil. As such you have valid opinions and preferences plus a family to consider.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
snip~ That song's lyrics stand as a cautionary tale as potent as Moses holding forth from the mountain. I have lived my life accordingly. In fact, you and I have been in sympatico wrt song lyrics for a long time.~snip
What that song doesn't say is, blood is not a guarantee compatibility. Sometimes distance preserves domestic tranquility.

I'm curious, did your dads settle for overcoming their obstacles pragmatically or always striving to find the most perfect solution. Example: happy they got the tree down and cut up... or lament, in retrospect, they could have done it faster, with less wasted motion?